• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

XML2BGL failure to compile

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi there, just looking for a bit of help and knowledge please?

I decompiled the default data bgl BNXWorld1.bgl using BGL2XML quite satisfactorily.

The aim was to delete the default UK danger, prohibited and restricted areas so that I could replace them with accurate information in a new bgl from the current UK AIP.

I deleted the necessary boundaries, and then tried to recompile my amended file using XML2BGL.

It refused to compile, giving the following error(s).

ScruffyDuck Scenery Design Engine Compiling
Using ANY BglComp....
Parsing document: C:\Users\Kevin Admin\Desktop\BNXWorld1_amended.xml
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2383: Bad GeoPol Type 'COASTLINE', should be Boundary or Coastline!
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2031: Failed element parse <Geopol>
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2032: XML Parse Error! Element tree follows:
ERROR: <FSData
ERROR: version = 9.0
ERROR: >
ERROR: <Geopol
ERROR: type = COASTLINE
ERROR: >
ERROR:

The same error was also reported for all further instances of <Geopol type="COASTLINE"> in the xml file.

All my deletions were above this section in the xml file and no errors were reported where I had made deletions. I made no amendments to the part of the decompiled xml where errors were reported at all. As a test, I decompiled the same bgl again and immediately attempted to recompile the output (with no changes at all) through XML2BGL, with exactly the same result.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why XML2BGL refused to handle this please?

Thanks K

kevinfirth

It is not the fault of xml2bgl. The problem is the SDK BGLComp.exe. As per the .xsd the geopol type should compile COASTLINE, BOUNDARY and DASHED_BOUNDARY.

Code:
<xs:simpleType name="stGeopolType">
  <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
  <xs:enumeration value="COASTLINE" />
  <xs:enumeration value="BOUNDARY" />
  <xs:enumeration value="DASHED_BOUNDARY" />
  </xs:restriction>

However the COASTLINE tag is not recognized by the compiler and generates a fault. There are several work arounds

1. Change COASTLINE to BOUNDARY or DASHED_BOUNDARY
2. Delete the Geopoltype= COASTLINE and all vertex prior to compiling

The BGLComp.exe compiler that Microsoft gave us in the FSX SDK and the one they used to compile bgl's are not the same compiler and I have run into other areas that are problems when compiling.

Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks for that, raised it with LM 2 weeks ago they fixed it and it will be included in the 2.5 update coming out imminently :) Cheers K