• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

XtoMDL

Country
scotland
Hi Folks

Bill -
Your latest article update of paths -

%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /K E:"\FSX_SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\3DSM7\Plugins\xtomdl.exe" /XANIM /DICT:E:"\FSX_SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\bin\modeldef.XML" > buildlog.txt

Are those highlighted characters possibly transposed ?

Appreciate the benefits of your non-default path,
however, preferable that wiki examples utilise MS-default paths,
as users tend to copy/paste. :D

Both issues apply similarly to your two other examples.

HTH
ATB
Paul

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Hi Folks

Bill -
Your latest article update of paths -

Are those highlighted characters possibly transposed ?

Appreciate the benefits of your non-default path,
however, preferable that wiki examples utilise MS-default paths,
as users tend to copy/paste. :D
Paul

No, they are correct:

E:"

The first quote mark must be after the drive letter: and the close quote mark must be after the last item in the pathname/filename.

It took me a long time to remember how to use the quote marks correctly, which is why I decided to update the Wiki entry.

I did suggest that folks would have to modify the path according to where they installed the SDK, but I will (re)edit the entry to replace the examples with the default SDK install path(s). :)

Country
mexico
Hi Guys, sorry for ask but i cant get it work, Someone could explain me with more detail how to make this procedure to get the animation working? I exported my object from 3ds and i got 2 files: test1.x and text1.xanim, here and in the wiki talk about to make a shortcut but a shotcut of what? i mean i have to create a shortcut of my test1.x file? and then entry those lines that wiki explain? please help, thanks for your attentions.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
XtoMDL.exe is what is known as a "Command Line Program," which means you can't just run it and expect it to do anything at all... :eek:

Instead, you have to pass it the information it needs so it will know what to do!

Now you could open a "Command Box" and type in all of the information required every single time you want to compile a new model, but that is way too much effort!

Because of this, using the ideas from several other developers, I came up with the "Shortcut" method. A Desktop Shortcut is a tiny 'program' that contains all of the required information to "pass" to the Target, which in this case is the XtoMDL.exe program.

You only need to create the Shortcut one time! Once it is created and tested to work properly, you will never need to worry about it again. I've provided precise instructions in the Wiki article so I see no need to repeat them here.

Country
mexico
Thanks Bill, I made all the procedure, i make a shortcut of the xtomdl.exe and then i enter the correct lines in target and Start in with the proper adress like this:

Target:

%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /K C:"C:\FSX_SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\3DSM7\Plugins\xtomdl.exe" /DICT:C:"\FSX_SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\bin\modeldef.XML" /XMLSAMPLE > buildlog.txtt

Start in:

"C:\FSX_SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\3DSM7\Plugins"

Then i moved the shortcut to Sent to/
then i drag and drop the test1.x file to the new shortcut and nothing happend, what am i doing wrong?

thanks for your pattience, i just moved from gmax to 3ds..

Country
mexico
Sorry, when I drag and drop the x file i got a screen (see attached picture)...

Attachments

• cmd1.jpg
    cmd1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 565

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I got it working, thanks Bill, :)

Good! I'll bet that this was the problem:
%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /K C:"C:\FSX_SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\3DSM7\Plugins\xtomdl.exe"

The characters in red above are incorrect. You have the drive C:" correct, but then repeated it after the quote mark! :)

By the way, since you've moved the Shortcut to your SendTo folder, you do not have to 'drag-and-drop' the .x file! Simply right-click on the .x file and choose CompileAircraft (or whatever name you used) to compile the .x and .xanim files to a new .mdl file.

This is why I always export the .x file from Max to my sim's aircraft\model folder. This way I don't have to move the new .mdl file at all... ;)

Last edited: