• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Your controller hardware recommendations for MSFS development

Country
poland
Hi everyone!

Since MSFS came out I'm still struggling a bit to work out the best controllers:
  • For flying I have an old MS Sidewinder that was always the perfect choice for flying and slewing around in FSX and P3D. Now in MSFS it can barely be used to control the developer camera in a useful way as some features from the seemingly intended "XBox controller layout" are missing. Furthermore its use is limited for flying because MSFS accepts its throttle input only as "full" and "zero" and nothing in between. And once you move it right or left, the pitch completely overreacts, no matter how sensitive I set it.
  • For the developer camera I bought a simple X-Box controller (not the original one) that works pretty decent. For the developer camera that is...
    For flying again I find it pretty useless because the same problem here: Pitch barely reacts when slightly moving it and overreacts instantly at some point.
What are your experiences and recommendations?

Country
canada
Hi Sasa, in response to your question, I can't imagine anything other than the good 'ol keyboard and mouse being used for developing. All the movement and manipulation tools are in immediate reach of my left hand, while the right uses the mouse for precise navigation of the UI and placement of the scene assets. Switching from manipulation to typing for renaming and searching of scene elements is much more natural than having a controller which you would have to put down (while being careful not to cause unwanted actions by bumping a joystick or key)

I can see how using a joystick would make camera manipulation more fluid, but the cost of being unable to fluidly manipulate the UI and typing quickly, is too high a price to pay for my work flow.

That said, I've never tried to work with a joystick, maybe it isn't as bad as I imagine. :)

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The mouse works best for DevMode development. In combination with the left ALT key you can pan around. I think keyboard CTRL + SPACE gives a top-down view. I use an xbox-type controller for the Developer Camera to quickly move about.

Country
switzerland
Xbox controller is very good, but the best of the best is this one:

It works just fine in MSFS, just map all your axes, and the big advantage over an Xbox controller, is that you can just keep your left hand on the 3D mouse, which moves the developer camera in all 6 axes, and use your regular mouse with the right hand, all at the same time. The Xbox controller is just too big to be operated single-handed, and it doesn't have that kind of precision either. Of course, the 3D Connexion works also GREAT with 3DS Max or Blender ( because you rotate the camera with the left hand and edit/select/click with the right, at the same time ) and, once you get used to it, going back to just using a mouse in a 3D modeler feels so clumsy...

I have the Enterprise edition but, for MSFS usage it's overkill, the basic version will work just fine.

Country
poland
Xbox controller is very good, but the best of the best is this one:

It works just fine in MSFS, just map all your axes, and the big advantage over an Xbox controller, is that you can just keep your left hand on the 3D mouse, which moves the developer camera in all 6 axes, and use your regular mouse with the right hand, all at the same time. The Xbox controller is just too big to be operated single-handed, and it doesn't have that kind of precision either. Of course, the 3D Connexion works also GREAT with 3DS Max or Blender ( because you rotate the camera with the left hand and edit/select/click with the right, at the same time ) and, once you get used to it, going back to just using a mouse in a 3D modeler feels so clumsy...

I have the Enterprise edition but, for MSFS usage it's overkill, the basic version will work just fine.

Interesting! So the compact version will usually suffice for MSFS and 3DS Max?
Wonder if this is something that could also help with modifying larger autogen annotation areas (if that's a feature that will ever come back with the SDK...).