• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Zooming a 'large' area... Question.. Stitching?

Country
us-arizona
Hey all,

On SBuilderX... If... I want a large area, and I want it to be more then say Zoom-13, how can I do that? The area does not fit in my window. Is this a limitation to the program?

For instance, can I program in a 'go get this land area at Zoom-14' and SBX goes in and finds that and brings it into the scene as the background map? Can that be done? (Should I be asking this at PTSim?)

Country
us-illinois
Hi Bill:

IIUC, you want to use SBuilderX to download larger areas of coverage on the ground at ex: zoom level 14, but you cannot fit that larger area into the SBuilderX work-space when you View Background and zoom out to zoom level 13 (...or higher). :scratchch

[EDITED]

Depending on what the zoom level is in the work-space, when you navigate:

SBuilderX Menu > File > Add Map > From Background

...that dialog for downloading imagery tiles typically shows a larger area of ground within its view window than is initially seen in the work-space background at ex: zoom level 13.

That download dialog also offers several zoom levels in various tile mosaic array sizes at various resolutions that are higher than is initially seen in the SBuilderX work-space at ex: zoom level 13.

[END_EDIT]

If the larger areas of coverage on the ground that you want are not able to fit into the work-space view at ex: zoom level 13, you are very likely going to exceed the maximum working source file data set size for SBuilderX and 2GB SDK Resample BGL output size.

But, if you intend to compress the imagery BGL at ex: '85' to reduce its size by 40% (which may slightly reduce imagery sharpness in FS / P3D), you 'may' be able to use more than 1 source file set in a manually created custom multi-source *.INF to force SDK Resample to seamlessly merge the adjacent sources into a single BGL.

There is indeed a 'Get Background Tiles' utility available:

[SBuilderX install path]\GetTiles.exe: (32-Bit Windows)

[SBuilderX install path]\GetTilesLAA.exe: (64-Bit Windows)

NOTE: IIUC, this latter version can work with a bigger tile data set via the LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag in GetTilesLAA.exe.)

See: SBuilderX Menu > Help > {Search} tab > keyword: Get Background Tiles > List Topics

GaryGB

Last edited: