• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Ground Shadows for Clouds

Country
unitedstates
One thing that is really missing in FS right now is ground shadows for clouds, this would be a really nice feature to have in the next version of FS...

bpahe

Resource contributor
Country
sweden
Is it? I can´t really recall having seen this in the screens, but I´m all thumbs up if this feature is added!

/hans

Country
austria
bpahe said:
Is it? I can´t really recall having seen this in the screens

Oh yes it is! In the options dialog of FSX (screens on avsim I think) the checkbox "display cloud shadows" is shown up! :)

Country
germany
itsimon said:
Oh yes it is! In the options dialog of FSX (screens on avsim I think) the checkbox "display cloud shadows" is shown up! :)

He's right. I've also seen it on avsim.

bpahe

Resource contributor
Country
sweden
Hi!

That is, in short, great! It´s the one option that I´ve missed the most, and the one that will do tremendously much for the realism of the game. Horray! :)

/hans

Another great new feature is the option for the aircraft to cast shadow on itself. Imagine pushing back at sunset with the shadow of your wing on the fuselage.... sweeeeet.

Best wishes

Country
italy
BrBlazer said:
Another great new feature is the option for the aircraft to cast shadow on itself. Imagine pushing back at sunset with the shadow of your wing on the fuselage.... sweeeeet.

Best wishes

I guess all this features will require a more powerfull PC... and, as many users already pointed out, HW upgrades are on the run for a lot of people willing to use FSX.
I'm thinking about the usual commercial policy of western countries: if you want it you have to trash your oldies and buy all brand new :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Off topic hint: where is all this "more and more" bringing us to? :scratchch

P.S. ten years ago a friend of mine showed me 4 videos (avi quality) running smoothlying at the same time over a 17" screen. The OS was unix ;)
On a win95 machine you could just see one of them and you'd better not to have any other app running in background, otherwise you had to suffer performance degradation of the video... I really dont know if this means something at all...:rolleyes:

Best to everybody.

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Well, this is a point - but we'll just have to accept the policy of MS if we want a more and more realistic FS. Remember the FS 10 years ago! ;) Who would have thought that today such a depth of realism would be possible?

Back to the topic: I thought about how to do cloud-shaping in FS9, but I couldn't get a nice result. So I really hope for that function in FSX.

I think the object-object-interaction will be improved in several aspects. As far as I know there will finally be the possibility to lighten aircraft by scenery - this missing feature is in my opinion one of the most unrealistic points in FS9. :(

Horst18519 said:
As far as I know there will finally be the possibility to lighten aircraft by scenery - this missing feature is in my opinion one of the most unrealistic points in FS9. :(

I know what you mean buddy. Imagine a night flight and your aircraft sitting at the gate and the white fuselage being a cool orangy color because of the apron lights :)

bpahe

Resource contributor
Country
sweden

Hi!

Yes, I know it is a demo, but it seems that this box has left us, sadly... anyone who thinks that there is a chance that it shows up in the final version?

/hans

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I think we'll just have to wait. I think it's a real fps-killer like the ground-shadow. I think I have seen pictures before, where this function was enabled, but I fear we'll have to live without it in FSX. :(

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
No, they were there in Beta1 but then MS decided to take them out. Maybe they made too much trouble or just killed the framerate. Really sad. :(

Country
italy
Even in FS2004 you can have that effect, maybe not like FSX. I've bought ActiveSKy 6 and Ground Enviroment Pro and, togheter, they can render the ground shadow fx.

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
You sure about this? As far as I know they only change ground textures before starting FS9 so it looks like the sky would be clouded and so the ground isn't that bright.

bpahe

Resource contributor
Country
sweden
Hi!

Thorsten is right, although it is a step in the right direction, it is still far from the "true" effect. This is a feature that I will miss, but I guess that FS X will still be fun enough without it. :)

/hans

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
I believe the feature was pulled as it was a performance hog / or they did not have time to tune it. That said, it is a good hint of things to come eh... ;)