• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

I Can't make a MDL file ...

Country
france
Hello Misters,

I have a problem with Library Creator Xml ;
I have downloaded this file: "Airborne Jeep" from Trimble 3D Warehouse.

I have modified the file : add a broken tail near the Horsa.
After, creating DAE file.

After, I can't export the objet to Mdl.

Take a look here :

And this :

Is it a problem of vertices ? ... For that can not export the MDL .

Thank you in advance for your ideas, I'm in great doubt. :(

--
Pierre-Jean

Last edited:

tylerpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Try exporting as a .kmz file to import into MCX.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Dae files can't go into library creator directly, you need to convert them to mdl first.

I think your object is very complex, that's why you get those errors when exporting to mdl. How many triangles does it have? I think it is best to find a more simple model, that's also better for the performance.

Country
france
Hi,
Dae files can't go into library creator directly, you need to convert them to mdl first.

Absolutely Sure Arno ! This was what I could not do:
the creation of the MDL was not done with inporting DAE file and
export.

Tylerpilot says :

Try exporting as a .kmz file to import into MCX.
31 Jul 2012 16:49

Ok, I make it (KMZ to MTL) and look at now :

Huge Thank Tylerpilot, This has worked wonderfully !
despites him to tell me : Index Buffer exceeds maximum size

Thank you for your tip!
A case of Beer or Coca to you here :)

Take a look of result here:

Arno says :
I think it is best to find a more simple model,
Yes but how to find a simpler model with Ketchup Warehouse?
It is not easy ... I take the subject proposed ...

How many triangles does it have?
Arno, I ask, how to find or determine the number of triangles ?
In Ketchup ? I tried but I did not find.

--
Pierre-Jean -listener

Last edited:

tylerpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Hi,

I find out that exporting as a .kmz file will have less errors on export to .mdl. It has something to do with the texture.

Tyler

how to find or determine the number of triangles ?

Load your mdl in MCX, click on 'Object information' and you will find the info.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Normally I would recommend DAE instead of KMZ, because with KMZ SketchUp exports all polygons as double sided. So that is less good for the performance. But if you want to use the coordinates of the object placement you have to use KMZ anyway.

About the complexity of the object. I just downloaded it from the warehouse and loaded it into MCX. 277039 triangles. That's really a lot. I think that is even more than most flyable aircraft in FS will have. For scenery objects I would say that is too complex. A good guideline for most objects is a maximum of 5000 to 10000 triangles.

Country
france
Thanks Robistar, What a shame to me not to have seen this ... :)

Thank you Arno for all these details ; :)

However I just download a couple MG 42 Machine gun for add to a German Tiger 2 Tank to add to the scenery tiger is already complex I hope that it's going to happen.

These objects maddening ketchup, watch it so the duo MG 42, impressive, it measures 250064.37 Feets ! Of course, easy to reduce

I'm a little off topic but now as it is that this object is so great ? :eek:

-- Pierre-Jean -listen

Last edited:

tylerpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
it measures 250064.37 Feets ! Of course, easy to reduce

You can scale the object to make it smaller by pressing Ctrl+A and the press S key.

250064 feet is big! :eek:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Gun.PNG
    Gun.PNG
    874.4 KB · Views: 837
Last edited: