• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Floatplane base problem with ADE

Hi Holger,

I downloaded the .pdf from tradewind.org and the technique used is the same as I used in FS9. Sadly this has not transferred directly to FSX so I'm working on it to find the answer. I've tried a few things but as yet no flowing AI.

Colin

Thanks for all the help guys. It's good to know I'm not the only one suffering these problems. I recon this is going to be a subject that is under constant revision and development. I'm going to try all the things suggested here and have a play around with ADE. I'll get back to you with a progress (or lack of) report! Thanks again guys.

Hi George,

Just as an update I looked at your afcad for LHD and could see nothing different in yours compared to mine, except for the break in the runway at either end. My problem seems to be associated with the parking spot because the aircraft get stuck there. I've tried various widths right down to zero but it makes no difference and there is no surface to play with. I'm thinking my airport height might not be quite right and I was wondering how you got the height of LHD. I've used TcalcX but on a rising and falling water texture its difficult to get it exact. I put your afcad into FSX and wrote a little flightplan and it all works ok. I used a local airport to LHD for a little to and froing and put in some parking spaces etc at D72. Unfortunately this airport also needs a dummy header because everything is raised about 30' from the surface but the flights worked at the LHD end.

Colin

That's weird Colin. I used TCalcX to get the height of the water, the waves are just a rendering effect, they do not affect the height.

Send my your AFD file and I'll take a look.

George

Edit.
and there is no surface to play with
The surface is in the parking link.

They do when you're sitting in a floatplane. I didn't have an airport surface to get onto.
Not as far as TCalcX is concerned, you can be 5000ft in the air and it will still read the 'ground' altitude. ;)

Is the AFD file you refer to the afcad.bgl?
Yes please.

George

Hi George,

Have sent you an email with a zip which covers all bases.
At least I know what you mean now when you refer to an AFD:)

Colin

To anyone who has been following this thread I'd like to mention that George pointed me in the right direction with my problem. When altering the various options I was altering the runway width and not the runway taxiway width which I had defined as zero. The aircraft now fly as they should both taking off and landing.

Colin

Colin

A tip for everyone

Start FSX and hit key "Y" slew mode for any plane.

Go to any water airport. The plane will not crash because it is in slew mode. Use TcalcX to read the altitude of the water. Like George said, TcalcX does not care what the plane altitude is and it always reads the ground/water altitude of FSX.

If you slew a plane on uneven ground TcalcX will read that also changing the altitude number as you move around.

The problem Colin had was that he had not defined a runway centre-line so the taxi-out AI had nowhere to taxi to.

George

I read that but there seem to be some confusion on how to read the water elevation so I reinterated what you were saying about TcalcX and a tip on slew mode to get on water with a C172 or any land plane and not crash.

Hi George and Jim,

I have a problem with slewing because as soon as I hit the 'y' the aircraft shoots off into the great blue yonder (a problem with the Saitek X52 that I use). I have to use a Pajero jeep at airports (highly manoueverable) and in this case a floatplane on the water where if you are sitting on the surface the elevation goes up and down. Had I taken off and flown over the water it would have been a steady reading but it didn't occur to me at the time. Anyway the TcalcX is great utility which I'll use anywhere there is some doubt.
Thank you both for your assistance.

Colin

I have a problem with slewing because as soon as I hit the 'y' the aircraft shoots off into the great blue yonder
Colin,

Whilst paused, select Options/Simulation rate/Slowest then, select World/Map and set your speed to zero and height to say 3000ft before entering slew mode and unpausing. Pressing <Ctrl> <Space> will set the aircraft heading to due north.

George

Hi George,

I'll try that next time I'm in FSX although I've got so used to my Pajero jeep it's not been an issue, just a bit slower. Every extra option helps.

Colin

Back