• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Substance Painter

Country
unitedstates
Hello. Has anyone been successful at creating an export profile for MSFS2020 within Substance Painter? If so, mind sharing the output channels? Many thanks in advance!

Country
southafrica
This is what I came up with, so far so good.

1598121925371.png

Country
spain
Im seeing somre differentes between the preset uploaded here and the preset in the Introduction to MSFS SDK (scenery) posted in this forum.
What do you think about it? it's correct to have the maps in 8 bit? I remember to read that MSFS2020 need it to be 16 bit.
2Captura.PNG

Last edited:
Country
peru
Hello, any tips how to recreate this in photoshop? or even better would be a texture specifications for the combined metal roughness normal map? It seems this is not PBR standard

I think there are two types of materials , one for 3d objects which is fine exporting and the other is from material themselves like the ones used in polygons, they seem to have 4 maps (R,G,B and A) each one of them doing a different thing

my guess is that
R = metal
G = AO
B = Roughness
A = ??? some other type of roughness?

if anyone knows about this please let me know

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
@evilnado when you really know PBR a single look at the COMP texture and for 100% sure I can say that the red is AO green is Roughness and Blue is metalness
I have been texturing for almost 7 years ;)
@TheJon182 I i'm not sure about scenery, the export preset I made is for Aircraft but would most-likely work with scenery too.

Country
peru
@evilnado when you really know PBR a single look at the COMP texture and for 100% sure I can say that the red is AO green is Roughness and Blue is metalness
I have been texturing for almost 7 years ;)
@TheJon182 I i'm not sure about scenery, the export preset I made is for Aircraft but would most-likely work with scenery too.
Are you sure? Im looking at an asphalt comp map and I find it weird to have anything but 0 on as a metallic value for such material...

also the Alpha channel is being used here so I have my doubts about your description of the combine map format

Country
unitedstates
So I found a asphalt tile that has what you are describing "WHITE_ASPHALT_CRACKED_01_COMP.TIF.DDS" but the ,json has this {"Version":2,"SourceFileDate":132176937350000000,"Flags":["FL_BITMAP_COMPRESSION","FL_BITMAP_MIPMAP","FL_BITMAP_QUALITY_HIGH","FL_BITMAP_NO_GAMMA_CORRECTION"],"HasTransp":true}
So it appears to not be a PBR material set, the question is what type is it, of maybe it is but the format is different

Edit so after sifting through the files I found where the "material" is referencing these textures and it does appear to be a hole different config

<Material Version="1.4.0" Name="Asphalt_White_Cracked" Guid="{AD658994-EB66-49E1-9005-05B9997A0262}" SurfaceType="ASPHALT" Type="CODE_DIFFUSE" Metal="0.000000" Rough="0.000000" Opacity="1.000000" BlendMode="Transparent">
<TagList>
<Tag>Asobo_Asphalt</Tag>
</TagList>
<FlagList/>
<TextureList>
<Texture FileName="TEXTURES\WHITE_ASPHALT_CRACKED_01_ALBEDO.TIF.DDS" Binding="MTL_BITMAP_DECAL0"/>
<Texture FileName="TEXTURES\WHITE_ASPHALT_CRACKED_01_COMP.TIF.DDS" Binding="MTL_BITMAP_NORMAL_ROUGH_METAL"/>
</TextureList>
<Attributes>
<Diffuse Red="1.000000" Green="1.000000" Blue="1.000000"/>
<Emissive Red="0.000000" Green="0.000000" Blue="0.000000"/>
<UVOffset U="0.000000" V="0.000000"/>
<UVScale U="1.000000" V="1.000000"/>
<UVRotate>0.000000</UVRotate>
<ExtraParameters>
<Parameter X="0.020000" Y="0.600000" Z="0.000000" W="1.000000"/>
<Parameter X="0.000000" Y="0.000000" Z="0.000000" W="0.000000"/>
<Parameter X="0.000000" Y="0.000000" Z="0.000000" W="0.000000"/>
</ExtraParameters>
</Attributes>
</Material>

So here is what I think the red channel here is Metal, the Green is one of the normal map directions maybe x, Blue is roughness, Alpha is y normals

Last edited:
Country
netherlands
What is the correct preset for materials in the material editor? Many of the default ground textures have one map which consist of a normal, roughness, metallic channel, which differs from the stand msfs2020 RGB AO, Rougness, metallic map.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
The only difference between the 2 should be individual maps compared to just one that has the 3 in 1. I would suggest you look the the Shading Editor and look at the node tree setup.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
You generally have to differentiate between what you add to you PackageSource, and what the packagebuilder compiles. As far as I know, the textures follow a similar makeup:
- Albedo map in RGB, sometimes RGBA if you need transparency
- Comp map is RGB, not RGBA with R: Ambient Occlusion, G: Roughness, B: Metallic
- The normal map must be of the directX type, not openGL!

I usually provide those textures as PNGs and so far, that worked fine. Ideally, use 8bit for the Albedo and normal and 16bit for the comp texture - that's something I learned only yesterday...

There's some more exotic material types that I haven't looked into and so the makeup of those might be different. In particular the two materials that utilize Subsurface Scattering might have some other special features.

When you build a package, the sim will convert your textures into DDS files, and the type and specs depend on the use of the texture.

Attached to this email you find the two presets I use for my exports from SP, the basis of which came from the msfs third party forum.

Attachments

• SubstancePainter presets FS2020.zip
    1,004 bytes · Views: 607