• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS [WIP] FS2020 support

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi all,

While I am working on FS2020 support for ModelConverterX I will use this thread to keep you posted about the progress. It will still be a while before the functionality ends up in the development release, as I need to test more.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Current status is that I have added a glTF importer and exporter to MCX, so that I can export object to the glTF format and read them from it as well. At the moment the basic materials and geometry are supported.

The glTF file as made by MCX can be loaded in an online glTF viewer and there is shows correctly (see screenshot below), so tomorrow I am going to try to import it in FS2020 as well.

1598648365992.png

Country
sweden
Hi Arno, are u able to provide an x-plane obj importer perhaps as that would save a lot of us a huge amount of hassle as we want to convert sceneries from sketchup into msfs readable format. Unfortunetly, no format, except xplanes own has all the textures mapped correctly. In sketchup u can import xplane obj and it will render it just fine; is there a possibility to do the same in MCX?

Thank u for your great work!

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Arno, are u able to provide an x-plane obj importer.........................

This has been a feature of MCX for many years, worst case you'll have to convert into FSX format first (very unlikely).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
MCX has an X-Plane importer already, although the PBR materials are not supported fully in there.

But since X-Plane and FS2020 PBR materials are not the same, I am not sure if this would really help.

Once I understand more how it works, I think it might be possible to add a material template to make it easier to update to PBR. But making all of the texture files will always be the artists work.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
1598735272807.png

Bit more progress today. This is a glTF object exported from MCX and then converted into a package for FS2020 using the sample from the SDK. After fixing a few bugs in the MCX output I am happy to see the object come over to FS2020.

At the moment MCX can export BGL files to FSX and P3D as well. Since the BGL creation is done by the package tool in FS2020 I need to see how I can/want to support that from MCX. A package typically contains multiple BGL files (e.g. library and placement). So that does not really fit into the current way MCX works when it makes a BGL file.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Arno if you need any assistance testing it for mdls, I'd be happy to!

Once I have enough functionality to have some basic features, I will put it in the development release for all to test and help improve things.

Country
spain
Thank you Arno, excellent work as always, I am looking forward to testing and seeing how and what I can take advantage of my P3D scenarios for FS 2020, sorry for my terrible English

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Some progress again today. I have updated the material editor with the material attributes that FS2020 uses. Most of them I could map to existing attributes, so that conversion is easier. FS2020 uses different names for some of them, I'll have to check if I can switch the names based on the filter that is applied.

The various attributes that you see in the editor are also read and written to/from the glTF files now.

1598817361867.png

I need to check some details for object transformations and I want to check levels of details, but after that I think there should be a first version that can be released for testing.

Country
spain
It's absolutely necessary to test in different equipment, configurations and philosophies, Thanks, it is an essential tool for me

Country
unitedstates
Arno, I love your tagline! That is the best one I've ever seen!
"If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done."

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Arno, I love your tagline! That is the best one I've ever seen!
"If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done."

Yes, I also loved it once I found it. It's a quote from Peter Ustinov apparently. It's good to always consider an expert (including myself) might not know everything as well.