• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS AIFP for MSFS

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I haven't given it much thought, George. I took a look at the SDK when I first downloaded F20 and didn't see any mention of AI, so assumed it was a future offering.

Can you point me to the relevant sections of the SDK, please?

EDIT: By SDK I, of course, meant the Developer Mode Tools.

Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
Apparently the format is exactly the same as FSX.

The SDK provides the menu item Generate Traffic but I have no idea whether it works.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Apparently the format is exactly the same as FSX
That's promising. But, of course, that only affects the compiler/de-compiler. However, AIFP is the Swiss Army knife of AI flight planning, so the file structure of airports and aircraft is also relevant. If I can find a way to generate aircraft and airport lists essentially equivalent to those for FSX, there's some promise.

I'm involved in something else right now, but I should be finished in about a week. In the meantime, if you can figure out how/where to install traffic files, perhaps you can test a FSX traffic file after creating an aircraft in FSX having the same name as one in F20.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I've had another look at the SDK and found the Traffic section. Its total content id "TODO"

Country
us-newyork
I've had another look at the SDK and found the Traffic section. Its total content id "TODO"
Don,

What's been figured out is that the format of the offline AI Traffic files (Asobo's category that matches up against FSX AI traffic) is identical to the FSX BGL format. So technically, AIFP would work, but of course it can't find the MSFS aircraft. I got around this by compiling an AIG file with TTools 2.02 with the aircraft.txt file edited to include the specific livery, for example:

AC#1,450,"Airbus A320 Neo Southwest Airlines"

User liveries (of which there are a lot available now for the Asobo A320 Neo) can be installed in the Community folder for any Asobo aircraft SimObject that is in the sim. the aircraft that by default that can be used for offline AI are defined in the file fs10.AircraftTypes.csv in the folder:

...Packages\Official\OneStore\fs-base-ai-traffic\scenery\world\traffic

The default offline AI traffic BGL file is found in that same folder, as is the default boat BGL traffic file, which according to the FSX boat gurus is also unchanged in format from FSX. There are posts around the web claiming that it is possible to add additional offline traffic, but I have yet to get it work correctly. What I did was create another AI traffic folder in the Community folder that contained layout.json and manifest.json . The traffic BGL file and a revised fs10.AircraftTypes.csv were included in the scenery/world/scenery subfolder. Basically, I just copied the format that Asobo used in fs-base-ai-traffic.

I wouldn't mess around yet with FSX AI aircraft models, as there is a bug in MSFS presently that causes it to CTD.

Jay

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Thanks, Jay. I spend some time seeing if I can find a way to generate airport and aircraft list from F20 data - which would then all basic FP creation for F20.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
AIFP has now been adapted for FS2020 airports and aircraft, the traffic files for FS currently use only F20 aircraft noted in aircraft.cfg as being available for AI, the program generates the two required .json files and the lot is saved in the Community folder in a manner identical to the Official fs-base-ai-traffic folder. But no AI - at least none parked in anticipation of departure. I've seen the odd AI in the air, but none landed.

Above, Jay noted some of you have been successful in getting F20 to execute FSX traffic files. It would be most helpful to me if some of you who have been successful expanded on how you did it. Feel free to respond by e-mail to don at stuff4fs dot com.

Thanks in advance

Country
us-newyork
Don,
Here's somebody that got the Online ("Live") traffic to work with IVAO models using just a simple Python script. It's not what you are looking for, but it does seem that the person got FSX models and paints to work. I tried it and it didn't work for me, but maybe I didn't follow the instructions correctly:

https://github.com/kaiprt/msfs-script-bucket

EDIT: I got this to work. All the models have been converted to gltf, which is probably why they show up and don't CTD the sim. The livery matching is somewhat limited, but considering that it works with the Live AI, this seems to be an accomplishment. Where the original models came from is a mystery, as I noticed there was some grumbling about it on the AIG forums. The Boeings look like FAIB as do some of the smaller Airbuses.

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Turns out the F20 traffic .bgl format is not exactly the same as FSX. F20 makes use of a couple spare bytes in the aircraft portion as an index into "fs10.AircraftTypes.csv". Hopefully, this is the only difference.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Yup! That appears to have been the problem. Custom AI generated by AIFP is now visible in MSFS2020. Development release ASAP.

Country
us-newyork
Great news! I had a feeling that the online reports of FSX traffic files were suspicious, since no one reporting success ever posted either a tutorial or a video showing the traffic working on MSFS.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Folks, I've run into a bit of a snag. As I reported yesterday, AIFP can now generate traffic files that are executed by MSFS2020. The only remaining issue is that MSFS seems to decide which AI aircrafts get displayed in each case. Nonetheless, each AI in MSFS seems to perform otherwise as instructed in the traffic file.

I have a colleague in Australia who claims he doesn't have this issue with his manually-prepared/saved traffic files whom I've asked for clarification. Unfortunately, he's fast asleep at the moment. I'll update you as soon as I have something further to report

Country
us-newyork
Folks, I've run into a bit of a snag. As I reported yesterday, AIFP can now generate traffic files that are executed by MSFS2020. The only remaining issue is that MSFS seems to decide which AI aircrafts get displayed in each case. Nonetheless, each AI in MSFS seems to perform otherwise as instructed in the traffic file.

I have a colleague in Australia who claims he doesn't have this issue with his manually-prepared/saved traffic files whom I've asked for clarification. Unfortunately, he's fast asleep at the moment. I'll update you as soon as I have something further to report
Don, try "Use generic models for AI Traffic". It's what The IVAO python script author suggested for Online traffic, so maybe it will work with offline also.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Just found that control, Jay. It has to be disabled. Then, all that shows up at the airport is the programmed AI traffic. I also had to disable the default traffic. I fear MSFS needs a lot more development in the AI traffic area. (Maybe that's why the Traffic section of the SDK doesn't yet exist.

I will now spend a few hours documenting the new AIFP capability. With a little luck, I'll be able to release something tomorrow.

Country
us-newyork
The only difference that I can see related to that setting is that when it is off, the AI traffic uses all the Asobo user aircraft models such as the A320neo, C172, the TBM etc.. With the setting active, the AI traffic uses the generic models located in the asobo-aircraft-generic folders.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I'll take your word for it, Jay. But, when that setting is enabled, MSFS substitutes generic traffic models for the programmed AI. Maybe when ASO finishes the SDK, this will all make more sense.

Country
belgium
I just downloaded the development version to create some AI schedules. How do I select aircraft/models?

edit: perhaps I should clarify that I used the tool before (FS9). The tool is looking for a .txt aircraft file, but can't find any in the community liveries mods.
edit2: ok, I found it. :)

Last edited:
Country
germany
In the past I sused AIFP 3.2.22.2 for P3Dv4.
Now I have the Steam Version of MSFS 2020.
I downloaded AIFP Development Release 3.4.0.6.
When I try to 'Add Single Aircraft to List' using the button ' by Title. etc' (button 'by Path' is grayed out), I receive the following error message:
1602777647824.png

It seems AIFP does expect a folder named 'E:\SteamLibrary\Official\OneStore' which does not exist in the SteamLibrary.
The corresponding Steam Folder is 'E:\SteamLibrary\Official\Steam' where all the Asobo aircraft are located.
I just created an empty folder 'E:\SteamLibrary\Official\OneStore' to satisfy AIFP and the error message doesn't appear.
Of course AIFP couldn't find the MSFS default aircraft.