• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Blender2MSFS support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
canada
UV mapping isn't really an exporter issue, this is about the exporter. I'd probably create a separate thread for your issue.
There are so many different reasons for that to occur.
I actually thought it is the exporter that's not getting the correct UV mappins (as shown in Blender) to MSFS. Because UV mapping inside blender is nothing like I see in MSFS. So the breakdown is in the export stage I think... But I think I will create a separate topic just in case...

Country
ecuador
Here... :
UVMap.jpg

Country
canada
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! I had 2 UV maps and the first one from a previous bake was invisible in Blender but overriding in MSFS. I deleted it and the problem disappeared. Maybe you knwo what can cause another issue I'm going mad about for a while? I occasionally have strange metallic shimmer with stark contrast on different surfaces withj same material. Look at this one. All panels (faces) are exactly the same. Material is baked for the whole model, so one file. Blender2MSFS is used. All looks good, then sudennly it turns to this. Then after a few reloads it goes back normal again, and then back to this. This affects not just this model, but at least another one, and I have redone both from scratch, hoping that whatever geometry problem there was will disappear if I build a new model in a different way (building tools). But I still have this. Something glitches in MSFS but I only see it with my scenery. Also another person has reported that if this scenery is installed, and he uses neaby CYYZ as departure - he has CTD. And I tested it - and I have it too! My scenery is CNC3, which is in the same area but not close to CYYZ. Loading inside CNC3 airport is no problem, but 10km from it in CYYZ - crash. Crazy... Nobody could help me with the metallic shimmering issue, maybe you have an idea? BTW I have no metallic texture, and metallic is set to 0 in all materials, but when this happens it seems that all model becomes very shimmery and metallic sudenly...
1603759999587.png

Country
canada
Have you verified that all your hangar doors have an outward facing mesh...?
Yes, I did. And the funny thing is that it only looks this way sometime, on other loads it looks just find. And the same happens with 2 hangar models, older ones and newer ones too, despite the fact that they have been remade from scratch. With ot without baked textures. And I think when it happens it affects most or all models in the package. Then it disappears and it's fine. As if something is triggering this on occasion, but I have no idea what. I doubt that it's sucha unique problem for me, somebody must have seen this before....

Country
germany
Just for information for Blender2MSFS toolkit 0.40.0 no working blender2.91 and 2.92

Country
ecuador
Yes, I did. And the funny thing is that it only looks this way sometime, on other loads it looks just find. And the same happens with 2 hangar models, older ones and newer ones too, despite the fact that they have been remade from scratch. With ot without baked textures. And I think when it happens it affects most or all models in the package. Then it disappears and it's fine. As if something is triggering this on occasion, but I have no idea what. I doubt that it's sucha unique problem for me, somebody must have seen this before....
It is also necessary to check that the loaded texture has a correct name... Sometimes, Blender loads a texture name with an extension "TextureName.png.001" for example! It is then necessary to remove the ".001"...!

Country
germany
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! I had 2 UV maps and the first one from a previous bake was invisible in Blender but overriding in MSFS. I deleted it and the problem disappeared. Maybe you knwo what can cause another issue I'm going mad about for a while? I occasionally have strange metallic shimmer with stark contrast on different surfaces withj same material. Look at this one. All panels (faces) are exactly the same. Material is baked for the whole model, so one file. Blender2MSFS is used. All looks good, then sudennly it turns to this. Then after a few reloads it goes back normal again, and then back to this. This affects not just this model, but at least another one, and I have redone both from scratch, hoping that whatever geometry problem there was will disappear if I build a new model in a different way (building tools). But I still have this. Something glitches in MSFS but I only see it with my scenery. Also another person has reported that if this scenery is installed, and he uses neaby CYYZ as departure - he has CTD. And I tested it - and I have it too! My scenery is CNC3, which is in the same area but not close to CYYZ. Loading inside CNC3 airport is no problem, but 10km from it in CYYZ - crash. Crazy... Nobody could help me with the metallic shimmering issue, maybe you have an idea? BTW I have no metallic texture, and metallic is set to 0 in all materials, but when this happens it seems that all model becomes very shimmery and metallic sudenly...
View attachment 64328

View attachment 64328
About the very shimmery and metallic you can create a comp-material for the rgb Material Slot in Blender the red channel get the AO-Map
The green Channel get the Roughness-map and the blue Channel get the Metallic-map.
You also can use in the Blender shader editor the roughness and merallic Slider.

Attachments

• MetalnessTutorial (1).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 144
Country
canada
About the very shimmery and metallic you can create a comp-material for the rgb Material Slot in Blender the red channel get the AO-Map
The green Channel get the Roughness-map and the blue Channel get the Metallic-map.
You also can use in the Blender shader editor the roughness and merallic Slider.
Yes, and this happens even with all composite textures removed and metallic set to 0 on all objects and materials. Maybe it's not exactly the metallic that gets overblown, it just shimmers that way. I don't know... Something makes the different faces suddenly dark or light and shiny, as in my photo. And then it goes to normal on the next load or back again, without any changes in the objects...

Country
us-texas
Yes, and this happens even with all composite textures removed and metallic set to 0 on all objects and materials. Maybe it's not exactly the metallic that gets overblown, it just shimmers that way. I don't know... Something makes the different faces suddenly dark or light and shiny, as in my photo. And then it goes to normal on the next load or back again, without any changes in the objects...

When it happens to me, usually it is one of two causes. 1) Most common reason is as WildLynx said above, two faces too close together or z-fighting and/or backface culling setting. 2) Accidentally created a non-symmetrical shape producing a non-uniform shadow (either make the shape more symmetrical or turn off the shadows for that object)...

There are a few other less common reasons it happens.

Last edited:
Country
greece
Hey guys,

I was wondering in which way the amount of reflections I get from a metal surface can be reduced using Blender.Here is how it looks like when I added some metallic panels in my project:

Are there any adjustments in Blender to reduce this glow effect coming from the metal surfaces?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot (111).png
    Screenshot (111).png
    4.3 MB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot (113).png
    Screenshot (113).png
    4.3 MB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot (114).png
    Screenshot (114).png
    3.9 MB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Can it export more than one set of UVs on the same object?

Or more specifically, can FS support more than one set of UVs?

I've created one set of UVs for the diffuse/albedo and another set for the AO. When I export to gtlf, the code contains these lines:

Code:
        "occlusionTexture" : {
                "index" : 0,
                "texCoord" : 1
            },
            "pbrMetallicRoughness" : {
                "baseColorTexture" : {
                    "index" : 1,
                    "texCoord" : 0
                },
                "metallicRoughnessTexture" : {
                    "index" : 0,
                    "texCoord" : 1
                }
            }
        }
    ],
    "meshes" : [
        {
            "name" : "Cube.007",
            "primitives" : [
                {
                    "attributes" : {
                        "POSITION" : 0,
                        "NORMAL" : 1,
                        "TANGENT" : 2,
                        "TEXCOORD_0" : 3,
                        "TEXCOORD_1" : 4
                    },
                    "indices" : 5,
                    "material" : 0
                }
            ]
        }
    ],

So they *export* ok. Is there any way to get the sim to recognise them?

There's also this setting:

Code:
 "msfs_show_ao_use_uv2" : 1

which looks very promising

Country
china
Is it possible to use an opacity map to control the opacity of my glass? I don't want to use the slider because it changes the opacity of the entire mesh. I want some parts to be left opaque.

Country
us-texas
Hopefully one of the more seasoned Blender guys in here will be able to answer some of you guys questions, but since I am just browsing, I'll give them a shot just from having read stuff in here.

@Hell-Fly4Ever
There are many ways to do this that I can think of, changing the texture itself, changing the smoothness or normal maps, or just removing those maps until you remake them to have a more appropriate level of reflections.

@weiwei
This has been answered in various places, do a search for glass in the forums. You can use an alpha map for the non-opaque parts and adjust the alpha settings, but the end-result might partially depend on how picky you are with the blending between opaque and transparent I guess. You could also create a separate face(s) where the opaque parts need to be, and then assign your regular UV map to the faces that need to be opaque, but this of course depends on what you are doing. There are some good threads posted by others showing various results with glass, I am not going to post them all here, but they are easy to find.

Last edited:
Country
greece
Hopefully one of the more seasoned Blender guys in here will be able to answer some of you guys questions, but since I am just browsing, I'll give them a shot just from having read stuff in here.

@Hell-Fly4Ever
There are many ways to do this that I can think of, changing the texture itself, changing the smoothness or normal maps, or just removing those maps until you remake them to have a more appropriate level of reflections.

@BattleMetalChris
I think this was discussed earlier in the thread, I may be recalling incorrectly, but I kind of remember it technically being possible but not being supported by the exporter maybe.

@weiwei
This has been answered in various places, do a search for glass in the forums. You can use an alpha map for the non-opaque parts and adjust the alpha settings, but the end-result might partially depend on how picky you are with the blending between opaque and transparent I guess. You could also create a separate face(s) where the opaque parts need to be, and then assign your regular UV map to the faces that need to be opaque, but this of course depends on what you are doing. There are some good threads posted by others showing various results with glass, I am not going to post them all here, but they are easy to find.

Thank you for your answer!I'm very novice in Blender,in fact I started using it almost a week ago.The metal panels was found free on the net,I just convert them in Blender to use them in MSFS.However during the proccess I assign to them only the base texture eventhough there were available also other .png files,a "normal",a "metallic",a "smoothness" and I think a "roughness" one (?) because I didn't know how to use them and for what each one of them is used for.I suppose I'll have to experiment with these ones quite a lot although It will be hard to know how thinks will look like inside MSFS as it mostly seems that it has its own way on how Blender exported objects are shown.It will be more or less a trial and error proccess.

Country
china

@Hell-Fly4Ever

@BattleMetalChris
I think this was discussed earlier in the thread, I may be recalling incorrectly, but I kind of remember it technically being possible but not being supported by the exporter maybe.

@weiwei
Thank you! I will do some research around the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.