• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Street Lights?

Country
austria
Object type = Scenery
Packages = Base

I hope this help

s. Screenshot (44).png

Thanks, mate. I am familiar with these. I had to better explain it. I meant for the "floating balls" street lights.

Attachments

• 2022-06-17.png
    2022-06-17.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
Country
austria
So it must be SimObject ?
I don't wanna hijack this thread, but no, these lights wouldn't have to be simobjects.

They can be "normal" scenery objects (modelLib) as a sphere with an emissive texture doesn't have to be a simobject (no animation, no nothing).

I don't wanna hijack this thread, but no, these lights wouldn't have to be simobjects.

They can be "normal" scenery objects (modelLib) as a sphere with an emissive texture doesn't have to be a simobject (no animation, no nothing).

How would you suggest to control their visibility? I tried to defien them the be visible only at night but it doesnt seems to work...

Country
austria
How would you suggest to control their visibility? I tried to defien them the be visible only at night but it doesnt seems to work...
If you go with the "sphere and emissive" approach there is an option in blender, i think it's called "day/night cycle"
Click that and the emissive textures won't show during the day .

If your lights aren't visible at night, maybe you didn't set the emissive colour ?
I'm not at my PC now so i can't show you, but there is an option to set the emissive colour in Blender.

If you go with the "sphere and emissive" approach there is an option in blender, i think it's called "day/night cycle"
Click that and the emissive textures won't show during the day .

If your lights aren't visible at night, maybe you didn't set the emissive colour ?
I'm not at my PC now so i can't show you, but there is an option to set the emissive colour in Blender.

As far as I know the day/night circle is only for lights. I do see the light effect only at night but texture would show during day too.

Country
austria
Nah, the day/night is for emissive textures too, i'm sorry that i'm not at my PC right now, but if i were i would send you a Screenshot of the emissive options (day/night)

OK. Thanks. I tried to have a "day" texture with 100% black alpha and a "night" emmisive texture. It seems that the alpha channel would make both day and night texture invisible at night too.

Country
italy
The suggestion of @FSSCENERY2000 is the only one that can TRY to reproduce the Asobo "orbs"
And hereby confirm TRY
because not only they must be done as a Simbojects to control visibility at night only , but also they will require a lot of LOD tweaking to make them visible from a distance

I have tried the alpha texture trick some times ago and of course it will not work because emissive texture is a multiplier of the albedo texture, day/night it is not a "switch" from one texture to another (like in former sim editions fs2k/fs9)

We have been asking for such light since the beginning to make proper obstruction lights for Scenery objects.

The only lighs that can reproduce the street orbs behaviour at the moment are those placed with lightrows (and light presets), but you need an airport object in your scene to place them and they must be placed only in airport radius

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

The suggestion of @FSSCENERY2000 is the only one that can TRY to reproduce the Asobo "orbs"
And hereby confirm TRY
because not only they must be done as a Simbojects to control visibility at night only , but also they will require a lot of LOD tweaking to make them visible from a distance

I have tried the alpha texture trick some times ago and of course it will not work because emissive texture is a multiplier of the albedo texture, day/night it is not a "switch" from one texture to another (like in former sim editions fs2k/fs9)

We have been asking for such light since the beginning to make proper obstruction lights for Scenery objects.

The only lighs that can reproduce the street orbs behaviour at the moment are those placed with lightrows (and light presets), but you need an airport object in your scene to place them and they must be placed only in airport radius

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

Thats really a shame. I hope Asobo will open the lightrow option to work without an airport. The same they did with projected mesh. Its realu frustrating creating lights on objects right now.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
You can make a small airport that has intentionally disabled traffic and is otherwise virtually invisible, for the sole purpose of glitching the requirement to place objects at an airport.