• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

0.0.70

tgibson

Resource contributor
Messages
11,850
Country
us-california
Hi,

Hey, I was able to get that multiple line display that Roby reported.

Try this:

1. Create a 2 segment crooked line, texture it with the PatternedLines 40F texture, line style Hold Short. I used Line Width of 3 feet.

2. Now change the texture to gp_Patterns (remember mine is undimensioned with no line styles). Edit: any texture without line styles defined (dimensioned or not) will cause this.

3. Now use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out. Keep doing this. Zoom way in, and way out. Repeat and repeat.

I see rather bizarre behavior - the scroll bars change size but the display never changes, and eventually as you continue doing it, more and more versions of the line appears, in different sizes. Sometimes they will appear even if you are not doing anything at all.

Hope this helps,
 
Last edited:
PS. I can select vertices after this has happened (I often get an automatic zoom reset at this point) and use the buttons normally (rotate, move, etc.), but zooming in and out still has no visual effect on the display, other than further iterations of the line appearing randomly.

If I click OK and then come back and edit the line, it behaves normally until I try the Line texture and then Polygon texture swap again.

BTW, switching to another program (like Firefox to write this) and then back again will erase the extra lines from the display, but zooming in and out makes them reappear.
 
Last edited:
tiling

Hi,

I seem to have a problem when trying to tile a texture on a rather big polygon.
The polygon is 117 x 250 m (the heliplatform I showed in another thread.
The bottom layer at 32 is OK but the layer above at 35 (semi transparent to blur the underlying bitumen) shows an overlap and looks distorted.
Moreover, when I edit the polygon, the texture shows up in the editor and says the texture size is 410 x 410 (my texture is 512 x 512) and the polygon does only show up when I click inside the screen of the editor. I resize 50% and the texture size indication disappears. I reset but do not see any indication of texture size any longer, and not when I click on the screen either. I repeat the operation and click OK. The gp-editor window closes (I am not connected to FSX). I edit the polygon again and the texture indication comes up and shows a texture size of 210 x 210. I cllick on the screen and the polygon comes up (no more texture size indication). I repeat the 50% resizing and click OK and compile again. I see no change and there still is a distorted overlap. I do not get it.

70tilingissue.jpg


Fyi it is a non dimensional texture and without resizing I get the same results.

Roby
 
Roby, I would need your texture and the Def files to test this...
 
Roby, thanks for the detailed description. But it would have been far better had you attached your ADE file. The problem is far too arcane to attempt to duplicate otherwise and, without being able to duplicate such a problem, any explanation would be simply guesswork.

One specific, however. The editor is not telling you the pixel size of your texture. It is telling you what is the geographic coverage in X and Y - which are computed values. It would appear you are using an undimensioned texture, so the texture coverage is a function of the poly size (as explained in the manual).

You may, however, have "put you finger" on another issue. If you resize the poly and then edit it again, the texture scaling appears to change. This is a situation I had not considered - but will today.

In the meantime, if you want me to investigate the visual issue, please send the file.

Don

EDIT: Crossed with Tom's post
 
Last edited:
You may, however, have "put you finger" on another issue. If you resize the poly and then edit it again, the texture scaling appears to change. This is a situation I had not considered - but will today.
False alarm! The texture scaling is maintained across edits.

The only thing I did discover is that when initially applying an un-dimensioned texture, the assumed scaling is not displayed until the object is edited.

BTW, I think you'll find that un-dimensioned textures are not very useful other than for patterns where you need to fit the poly to a particular pattern - and even then, dimensioned textures can be used.

Don
 
Thanks for sending the file Roby. I hope the following will demonstrate why having the file is necessary for such situations. (Incidentally, since you said earlier you were concerned about you dropbox filling up, be aware you don't even need to use Dropbox. Just attach your file to your post.)

Now, on to your problem. You must have created the "blur" layer several days ago", because as soon as I attempted to save it after loading it into the editor, the editor issued the message "this poly is too complex and cannot be triangulated". Whether or not that really should be the case I'll check into. But, had you edited the poly today, the editor would have told you it couldn't handle that poly. It tried. It did the best it could.

I will check the triangulation routine to see why that poly was a problem, since it doesn't appear overly complex.

Re the earlier situation about the texture dimension not being displayed, that is now fixed. As well, to avoid others misinterpreting those dimensions, I have added a Ft. or M. suffix to the labels of all text boxes that display physical dimensions.

Don
 
I see rather bizarre behavior - the scroll bars change size but the display never changes, and eventually as you continue doing it, more and more versions of the line appears, in different sizes. Sometimes they will appear even if you are not doing anything at all.
Tom, I've been able to duplicate what you see. I'm wrestling with Roby's triangulation issue at the moment, but I'll get to the multiple images shortly (I hope)

Don
 
I seem to have a problem when trying to tile a texture on a rather big polygon.
Roby, having spent most of today chasing this issue, I have come to the conclusion that there is no processing/coding error of any kind. Rather, it is a matter of computational precision. Flat earth/round earth probably enters into it as well.

First of all, it is necessary to appreciate that the lighter area in your screenshot is maximum of 15 cm wide and over 100m long. That's a pretty small subtended angle! What appears to have happened is that, based on the (flat-earth) lat/lons specified in ADE, the triangulation routine determined a triangle was needed between the three points defining the lighter area. However, when FSX rendered the poly (FSX uses round-earth computation, as does ADE-GP) the (round-earth) position of the two points in your screenshot relative to the distant point resulted in the triangle being drawn as you see it. (As mentioned earlier, loss in absolute accuracy due to computational precision will have played a part also.)

If you move the leftmost point of the light triangle shown in your screenshot a few cm towards the inside corner, the problem will disappear.

That takes care of your immediate issue, but I don't want to have to investigate and explain such situations in the long term. So, I'm going to do two things over the next day or so:
  1. review the code to ensure that maximum computation precision is maintained; and
  2. evaluate whether there is any real benefit in correcting ADE's flat earth coordinates when the ADE file is compiled for FSX.
I have my doubts about the utility of the latter since, while it may solve issues within an object - such as yours - it may introduce noticeable offsets of GP objects relative to nearby airport and scenery objects which would still be using flat-earth coordinates.

All this to say that I will be making another release later today that will correct other issues, but it won't make nay difference in your case.

Don
 
Back
Top