• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Accuracy of generating autogen trees

Country
poland
Hi,

I am working on a large scenery, one province of my country ...
Open databases for autogen creation are very poor or does not exist, but to the topic -
I`ve made my own database with trees (finished), buildings (working on).

During testing water mask, I`ve generated sampel of autogen and im not quite happy with it.

The input source of vegetation is very detailed, looks really nice- but only in gis software(fot_3).
In FSX situation is little different-(fot_1, fot_2), the vegetation is generated in river and that is all about. Its my main problem.

Is there any way to get rid of it?

Fresh install of FSX+ACC, no edited cfg, no installed addons, autogen set to dense

Screens:

ps
Ive been here for a while, wonderful place,
Its my first post so hello all,
wonderfull tool Arno btw : )
Thanks for help

Michael

Country
spain
Not being photoreal scenery you will have to correct the scenery for more accuracy, creating a new profile of the river, there are tools like sbuilder and FsxKml, that's so, one can end with a lot of tools on the desk for making some scenery though this be a simple one. I began with Ade :D

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

On your GIS data it seems some features have holes. That is currently not supported by scenproc. Could it be that does features give you the inaccurate results?

Small differences will always be there, because fsx rasterizes the autogen data again. It's not the vectors that are used.

Country
poland
Thanks for response

According to this topic:
Code:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254193

"Vector exclusions will not work for custom autogen.

The only way to remove custom autogen is by using Autogen Annotator on the photo-scenery bgls."
by Golf-HotelDelta

The problem is custom autogen on custom photo background.
I was thinking about vectorizing water mask, creating shp file, but it probably wont work

The shapes (overlapped two areas) are connected , so there is no islands/holes without reference to main shape, see screenshot below:

Indeed differences will always be, raster is not a vector.
Thanks guys

Michael

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Are the red ones the conflicting ones? I am not sure if I understand the picture.

If your forest polygon does not overlap the river, the trees should stay out of there.

Country
poland
Green - forest
Red - buildings but not cleanup yet so there are some small shapes, but all classified as buildings

Maybe it has relation with guid used, or its only fsx, or im too precise.
I will investigate this.

Michael

Country
france
Hi,

In case where, you can find file like "Area.kml" or "water.shp" with polygon representing river and other water feature of your scene... Or if you decide to create one.

May be you can use "REPLACEPOLYGONBYVEGETATIONRECTANGLES" to replace your polygon of vegetation by rectangular vegetation. After that I don't know if you can ask to scenproc to filter it in the same config file but elsewhere re-import result (AGN or SHP file of rectangular vegetation) into scenproc and add a filter to delete features included into the water polygons of your "Area.kml" or "water.shp" file.

Country
france
another idea:

Ins't it another declarated scene covering the same place that you've forgotten to desactivate ?

&

As Arno said: "Small differences will always be there, because fsx rasterizes the autogen data again". I think it's possible to increase resolution of raster into Flight sim cfg file... not ?

Last edited:
Country
poland
More research

I have reedited ground photos.
Light green on photos are areas, where should be trees cover
I`ve append that same database to raster and to scenproc

simple scenproc input file:
Code:
#TEST
IMPORTSHP|C:\Users\Michal\Desktop\forest.shp|*|NOREPROJ
#
SPLITGRID|AGN
#
CREATEAGNPOLYVEG|*|{c9dc45ae-f240-42a9-a137-b7617452a308}
#
WRITEAGNFILES|FSX|C:\Users\Michal\Desktop\bb

Only one scenery in addon scenery, no tweaks clean install, default trees, autogen extremely dense.

Conclusion- FSX is not a gis software, want precise scenery- one issue - hand made autogen with annotator.
Its only my opinion

Thanks

Michael

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

But if you open the scenery in another, do the vegetation polygons than line up with the green parts of your photo? If not you might have found a bug. If yes, than making them manual with annotator is no better either.

Country
poland
Vogel - i think the autogen and resolution of raster - ortophoto ground layer are two independent things, looked in cfg but there is no entry for that thing, only for max size of displayed textures on modelled buildings and aircrafts etc,

Ground layers can be extremely hi res(made by resampler). The border here is their weight- ? 2gb?
Somewhere here is a topic about it.

Im not expert in Annotator, dont want to mess with it.
My friend will do it and i will post screens later.

When I said about manual i was thinking about that:

This is my friend`s work. He reedited autogen on payware scenery. The forest is very dense, because he did it not with making shapes in Annotator.
He just made little square, copied it and placed it very close, and so on.

But it takes much much much more time than generate forests with ScenProc : )

There is another case - forests generated with Arno`s amazing tool are more fps friendly than made with my friend`s way.
Also, dont know how it works with changing density of autogen in FSX settings.

Michael

Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
Vogel - i think the autogen and resolution of raster - ortophoto ground layer are two independent things, looked in cfg but there is no entry for that thing, only for max size of displayed textures on modelled buildings and aircrafts etc,

Search for "IMAGE_PIXELS_FOR_AUTOGEN_POLYGONS"

Country
poland
Hi

In default cfg i did not have this line.
Added under [TERRAIN] IMAGE_PIXELS_FOR_AUTOGEN_POLYGONS=1024 and it works : )
Vogel has right, its all about FSX`s generalization.

Screens:

I dont see difference between setting 1024 and 2048, now everything is 90% accurate.
Cant test fps hit, because i have only few km2 test scenery.

Thanks all for help

source:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526979.aspx

and i know, im stupid, havent read sdk docs : /

Michael

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Glad to hear that solved it. I must say I never saw such big offsets, but I should probably remember that if I see them I need to check that setting :).

Country
france
thx to Golf-Hoteldelta to remember us the instruction...

another post about it -> here <-: watch the answer from Horst

it seems that "256" as value is enough...