• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Adding mdl's

Country
germany
I have followed the instructions in the wiki manual and have , with some trial and error, created a library (first_lib) with only one object (as trial). This library shows up in my ADE Library Objects with the only object (airbridge) as selectable. I have now created a hangar (basichangar) in FSDS 3.5 and saved as bgl in my active scenery folder, the textures are in the same active folder but in textures. Compiled as mdl. In Lib Creator I opened the library first_lib and added the hangar mdl. This showed as normal ie. not red. Then saved the library. Went into ADE add lib object but there was still only the airbridge object in the first_lib. No other libs were added. Surely, according to the wiki source this should be possible, ie. adding mdl's to an existing library, or am I misunderstanding :confused:
FSDS 3.5
ADE
FS2004
Win 7

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Sounds like you did it right. Did you export the library again to BGL after you added the second object?

I don't use ADE myself so often, so I am not sure if you need to ask ADE to refresh the library or so.

Country
germany
Sorry Arno, I tried to export the lib once again but I now see that I cannot select the makebgl path in the options menu. The various options are there but when I click on one (FS2004) and go to the FS2004/SDK/ BGL/makebgl.exe and click I am now returned to the main screen but the required path in Options is not selected. Don't know what is happening. Have done a re-install but still the same ?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Normally you only have to set the path to BGLComp once. So if you exported succesfully the first time, it should keep working. Do you not see the path you selected in the options?

Country
germany
Back once again. Refering to my first mail. I have made a library and saved it to ADE 9x/FS9 where it shows as NewLib.bgl and NewLib.xml. Within this library are two mdl's namely airbridgeangled and basichangar. When I compiled the library and go to ADE/tools/library object manager/Library I cannot find the 'NewLib library but instead are two items viz a viz airbridgeangled.bgl and basichangar.bgl . What I really wanted was to have the two .bgl's in the NewLib.bgl but cannot find how to do it. I have looked in ADE but also cannot find a 'refresh library' option. Please help as this is driving me crazy !

Country
germany
Hi,
Normally you only have to set the path to BGLComp once. So if you exported succesfully the first time, it should keep working. Do you not see the path you selected in the options?

I think that in my first attempt, after making the .bglcomp path that there was a tick against the selected option. Now there is no tick shown and the blue boxes on the left of the options menu have dissapeared.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
You say you have two BGL files, then you have 2 MDL files. I'm confused.

I think that if you add objects to a library BGL file, you must somehow "refresh" ADE. Either use a refresh button in the LOM (if present), or delete the library BGL file and then add it back to the LOM listing again?

Back up your AD2 or AD3 file first!

Country
germany
You say you have two BGL files, then you have 2 MDL files. I'm confused.
I think that if you add objects to a library BGL file, you must somehow "refresh" ADE. Either use a refresh button in the LOM (if present), or delete the library BGL file and then add it back to the LOM listing again?
Back up your AD2 or AD3 file first!

Did as you suggested, deleted the Library (Object.bgl in ADE (there was no refresh button in LOM) and then added mdl's to the existing library (Object) in Library Creator. Now everything is hunky dory except in ADE LOM I had to rename the objects in the Object library as they were all named as eg. Object .bgl 001, Object .bgl 002 etc. etc.
Many thanks to all for your help. :):)

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I think if you include a text file (as used for Rwy 12, Instant Scenery, etc.) alonside your BGL file ADE might automatically rename the objects? I know MCX does that in the title bar.

Hope this helps,