• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ADE 1.79 reset airport elevation to stock

Country
unitedstates
ADE 1.79, P3Dv5.2hf1,
I have 2 issues here.
1. I had modified the Airport elevation and recompiled. This all worked fine and ADE now shows Revised ALT. I then later went back to put the elevation back to Stock. ADE gave me the obligator warning and I accepted.
It said OK. When I went back to the Airport Properties, it had an elevation of -9999999.99 ? When I ran the fault finder, all ILS's had wrong altitude ( the previous value) I Then changed the altitude back to the stock airport's elevation . ADE still shows Revised ALT. (of coarse, it thinks I changed it ) I had to go back and change all objects and ground poly's back to the stock altitude. I was then able to tell ADE it was no longer Revised by using the RAW data editor ( Pro Key). Not sure why ADE is not finding the stock airport's elevation. ( isn't it searching p3d stock airports looking for same ICAO id ) ?

2. I have ADE setup to compile to a separated development folder ( AirportDesignEditorProjects ) on a separate disk from the running P3D. When I compile, it puts the afcad, obj and cvx, gp bgls in the proper designated directory. However, I noticed that when I change the airport elevation and compiled the airport, ADE put the xxx_ALT.bgl directly into P3D scenery/world/scenery directory ??? This should be placing this file where I told it to compile to ?

Question about the altitude BGL . I was under the impression that since P3Dv4.5 that Lockheed Martin changed the way these airport elevations were handled and that instead of looking only in world\scenery that it took the last loaded airport bgl file in the hierarchy. This basically meant that the world\scenery was no longer needed. Is this a wrong understanding?

(I know there are 2 different issues here, but are related to the handling of Airport Elevation changes.)

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
1. I will try and replicate this.

2. Old code which automatically sent the ALT file to the world/scenery/ folder

ADE is out of date with respect to the way P3D handles altitude changes. It is a while since I looked at it but I believe you are right and the priority order has changed.

Can you confirm where you changed the airport elevation in ADE?

Country
unitedstates
ADE 1.79, P3Dv5.2hf1,
I have 2 issues here.
1. I had modified the Airport elevation and recompiled. This all worked fine and ADE now shows Revised ALT. I then later went back to put the elevation back to Stock. ADE gave me the obligator warning and I accepted.
It said OK. When I went back to the Airport Properties, it had an elevation of -9999999.99 ? When I ran the fault finder, all ILS's had wrong altitude ( the previous value) I Then changed the altitude back to the stock airport's elevation . ADE still shows Revised ALT. (of coarse, it thinks I changed it ) I had to go back and change all objects and ground poly's back to the stock altitude. I was then able to tell ADE it was no longer Revised by using the RAW data editor ( Pro Key). Not sure why ADE is not finding the stock airport's elevation. ( isn't it searching p3d stock airports looking for same ICAO id ) ?

2. I have ADE setup to compile to a separated development folder ( AirportDesignEditorProjects ) on a separate disk from the running P3D. When I compile, it puts the afcad, obj and cvx, gp bgls in the proper designated directory. However, I noticed that when I change the airport elevation and compiled the airport, ADE put the xxx_ALT.bgl directly into P3D scenery/world/scenery directory ??? This should be placing this file where I told it to compile to ?

Question about the altitude BGL . I was under the impression that since P3Dv4.5 that Lockheed Martin changed the way these airport elevations were handled and that instead of looking only in world\scenery that it took the last loaded airport bgl file in the hierarchy. This basically meant that the world\scenery was no longer needed. Is this a wrong understanding?

(I know there are 2 different issues here, but are related to the handling of Airport Elevation changes.)
Bruce, I have run into the same/similar. I went thru the process of changing the airports elevation with ADE (by mistake) so I then set it to the stock value. ADE still states "Alt Revised" and after the "change back to stock alt" ALL of the GP lines (holds, apron limits, etc) went away. Taxisigns and buildings and other objects do not appear to be affected. If I return the ALT to the value I had originally set, all the GP lines return HOWEVER, the ground next to the taxiways and runways is now elevated (suspect to the original stock Alt).
I can fix all of this with a "Flatten" but that is not a fix but a workaround.
Any insights / pointers to help resolve would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I am aware that ADE may not behave correctly in these situations. I cannot say when any fix might be available

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Any insights / pointers to help resolve would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Move what you have left, to a location outside your install path. Go to Settings>Apps>Installed Software, scroll to Lockheed Martin P3D V5; select repair. If the installer does not restore your installation to default, you still have what you've wrecked to work with. If repair does not work, select modify then repair and if that is not an available option, uninstall, then reinstall. The installer will not delete 3rd party content, but as always, copy to protect.

It seems prudent to do it first: make a file duplicate of any default airport you intend to edit, to protect yourself from the leap of faith, that one software can edit another software, in such a way, that the editing software returns the edited software to a default state. Such things are never guaranteed and I can't think of any simulator software I've modified, without making a copy first. Maybe a flight plan.

Country
unitedstates
Move what you have left, to a location outside your install path. Go to Settings>Apps>Installed Software, scroll to Lockheed Martin P3D V5; select repair. If the installer does not restore your installation to default, you still have what you've wrecked to work with. If repair does not work, select modify then repair and if that is not an available option, uninstall, then reinstall. The installer will not delete 3rd party content, but as always, copy to protect.

It seems prudent to do it first: make a file duplicate of any default airport you intend to edit, to protect yourself from the leap of faith, that one software can edit another software, in such a way, that the editing software returns the edited software to a default state. Such things are never guaranteed and I can't think of any simulator software I've modified, without making a copy first. Maybe a flight plan.
Rick, I ALWAYS have done what you stated. None of my airports are in my P3D install path for the safety reasons you state. Since I posted, I believe I have solved the problem of the airport elevation. Using ADE and using its ProKey, I modified the airport properties raw data, setting "stub file" to false, removing the stub file from \scenery\world\scenery and also setting the elevation to stock default (all of this done via the raw data, as Jon Masterson suggested in a similar thread earlier this year...or maybe it was last year. With that I now have all GP lines back, no FLATTEN required.
Thank you very much for your reply, its greatly appreciated.

Country
unitedstates
I am aware that ADE may not behave correctly in these situations. I cannot say when any fix might be available
Jon, in a reply of yours some time ago, you spoke of making changes to the airport properties via ProKey and using raw data as well as setting the creation of the "stubb" to false. I did exactly that and the elevation has been restored as have all of the GP Lines.
Many thanks!