ADE-GP Big problem

I created a rectangular polyline and textured it as "Single yellow". It showed fine in FSX:

I then added 5 new vertices so that I could add 4 more (separate) polylines:

But, if I edit the poly-line, this is what I see :eek:

ADE knows it is a poly-line but it appears that the GP Editor thinks it is a polygon.

I needed to scale the whole thing down so that it fitted within the yellow texture area.

Furthermore, If I use the middle-wheel, it resizes the polyline rather than the display area. How do I zoom out the display area?

This is now what it looks like in FSX:

Parts of the original polyline are missing and the polylines have different widths even though they are all specified as 0.5m

Edit. My fault for the differing widths, I had set the inner lines to 0.3m :eek:

Project attached.

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

I don't understand why you added the extra vertices to the large box and to the long line inside the box? The box should have only 4 vertices and all lines only 2. The intersections with the shorter lines will be handled by ADE without creating those.

You can fix your texture mapping problem if you simply re-select the texture name in the drop down box and then re-select the line type.

Hope this helps,

Hi,

I don't understand why you added the extra vertices to the large box and to the long line inside the box? The box should have only 4 vertices and all lines only 2. The intersections with the shorter lines will be handled by ADE without creating those.
I added the extra vertices such that I could copy/paste the coordinates to the other lines.

You can fix your texture mapping problem if you simply re-select the texture name in the drop down box and then re-select the line type.

Hope this helps,
No, simply re-selecting the texture name doesn't work since the editor thinks it is a polygon, not a polyline.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Then after you finish your copy and paste of the vertex coordinates, delete the extra vertices in the box and long line and see if that helps in FS.

The reselect worked fine for me using your file - the "box" displayed in the GP Editor changed to the vertical line used for line selection, after I also re-selected the line type.

Sorry Tom. Reselecting the texture did change the display into a polyline :eek:

However, there are some peculiar vertices:

and I have great difficulty in keeping the polyline and textures visible in the display when zoomed.

gadgets

Resource contributor
George:
ADE knows it is a poly-line but it appears that the GP Editor thinks it is a polygon.
Why do you say that? It is a line 4, then 9, segments.
I needed to scale the whole thing down so that it fitted within the yellow texture area.
No clear how this relates to the issue. The texture will be tiled to cover the whole object.
Furthermore, If I use the middle-wheel, it resizes the polyline rather than the display area. How do I zoom out the display area?
If by zooming the display area you mean changing the visible area of the texture, use the Main Texture Size textboxes. Many of my textures, including this one, have been sized for a realistic appearance at the specified dimension(s) - in this case 20' x 20'. Resizing of the texture sheet should only be necessary for special effects. What are you are trying to accomnplish?
Parts of the original polyline are missing and the polylines have different widths even though they are all specified as 0.5m

Edit. My fault for the differing widths, I had set the inner lines to 0.3m
The disappearing texture appears to be a FSX display problem. See how it gradually fades? If that were being done by ADE-GP, there would be a sharp cut-off. Has the area been flattened?
However, there are some peculiar vertices:
Visualize a "bent line straigtened out with the "hinge" at the mid-point of the corner. This is necessary for texure patterned lines and should not require editing in any form other than to change the line pattern - which can more conveniently be done using the texture combobox.

Tom:
Yes, the 0.35 editor is almost unusable. I had to revert to 0.33.
Expand please

Don.

Expand please
I think you are in a minority of one Don ;)

If one does manage to get both the polyline and texture to appear in the editor display, which in my case is extremely difficult, involving zoomining until a scroll-bar slider is visible, zooming moves the polyline away from the textures. It is then a case of manually moving them on top of the required texture or re-selecting the texture.

Using the "Main Texture Size" text boxes is very unhelpful. There is a button to resize the polyline, why isn't there a button to resize the display area? Or, why doesn't the mouse middle-wheel resize the display area rather than zoom and displace the polyline?

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
My "Expand please" response was in respect to Tom's statement about 0.33 vs 0.35 - which, it seems, has been qualifed in another thread.

As I noted in that other thread:
  • there is a newly-problem with the scroll bars, and
  • object copy is not being handles correctly.
I'm working on those issues now.

Re the Main Texture Size textboxes, the only reason to change those are for special effects. You should be able to do everything you need with the scroll and vertex manipulation functions. So, once again, recognizing the two open issues identified what is it you are trying to do that you think requires a zoom function for the texture. Scroll bar issue aside, zooming the vertices relative to the texture can accomplish anything that zooming the texture relative to the vertices, since the editor sizes the texture (or should do so) so that it is always fully in view.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
And that's due to the "copy" issue I'm currently working on. Once that's fixed, the texture will always display in the center of the screen.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Another problem which is probably for Jon. Moving vertices and then compiling doesn't change the vertex position in the GP dll.
Yes. I reported that to Jon yesterday in one of the other threads after inverstigating Tom's report.

Don

interludium

I will be looking forward to all updates and bug fxes.
Only, my wife comes back home tomorrow.
And so for some time I will be hampered in my ADE-GP testing as a result of all the things she had wanted me to do but had not told me to do, I therefore did not do and that I will then have to do:(!

gadgets

Resource contributor
Good news. The issue with the Texture Editor (replace vs insert) is now fixed as is the offset display of vertices/textures.

The first was a simple coding error. The latter was due to a misunderstanding on my part about how ADE calculates the lat/lon of copied objects. Unfortunately any offset objects will remain offset unless yo use the about-to-be-modified Reset button. Both are low-risk changes.

I will be working on the scroll bars next. If no one has objected by the time I'm finshed, I will start recoding the Reset button as previously described.

Don

I think there is a conspiracy between ADE and the GP Editor ;)

Due to adding vertices, the line had become wiggly so I decided to draw a guideline to straighten it.

During the draw process, the guideline appears to pass through the end vertices:

After releasing the mouse button, the resultant guideline misses the end vertices:

I then entered the GP editor and found that the "Main Texture Size" text boxes were blank and the texture was minute:

In spite of this, I have a reasonable facsimile of the required lines:

Of course it still needs a lot of tweaking.

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
The texture is displayed, dead-center (as it should be). Can't comment on the blank texture size boxes. Having the file may be helpful.

Otherwise, I'd say we're making progress!

Did I miss something (on the ADE-GP realm)?

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Yes, because the line is very long relative to the texture height, which is only 40'. I'm more concerned about the line being displayed to the left of the texture rather than over it.

How about the file?

Don