• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ADE-GP polygon/vertex limit ?

Country
russia
Hi, has anyone experienced some kinda limit on placing the independent apron lines with the same texture? The thing is, for example after about 6 lines placed, the 7th won't show up in FSX but if I do slight correction then line 7 appear on the apron, but line 6 or any previous disappear. In this case I found solution just to change number of layer one higher - solved.
May it be that Im missing some chapter in manual or may it be the "Beta" bug ?

many thanks.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
There is no such limit in ADE_GP nor have I ever experienced anything similar. (I have many lines at the same layer that use the same texture, and they all display.) That being said, it could be a "FSX thing"; there are certainly others.

Don

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Without knowing the details of the code made by ADE, the fs2002 ground polygon technique normally has a limitation of just over 21000 triangles per material. If more are present they are not shown.

Country
russia
Here it is, red arrows pointing on missing lines made the same way as others.
I found that lines made from helper shapes work well, but if I make custom with more than 2 vertices they are not shown. They will be shown again but if I use backing width and backing texture.
Note: Custom shaped lines work well with gp-patternedlines_40F but only first few with many vertices... If it is "FSX thing" they would show up on another PC but they are not.

Capture.jpg

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
the fs2002 ground polygon technique normally has a limitation of just over 21000 triangles per material. If more are present they are not shown.
Arno, is this an internal-to-FS limit or is that the limit due to the .asm file using 16-bit branches in certain places. If the latter, then ADE_GP checks for the limit and starts a new group.

If it is "FSX thing" they would show up on another PC but they are not.
fsfox, if you attach your AD3 file to a post or e-mail it to me (don at stuff4fs dot com), I'll take a look.

Don

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Don,

It's a limitation in the DRAW_TRILIST command. If you make sure to split it into different lists and also that the vertex list stays below 64k it should work fine.

Country
russia
Also I found that to be completely happy in FSX I need to make slight line corrections in some places, after that line just disappears in FSX. Well my logic say that it could be change in total line length, so, I need to go to the line properties and assign all parameters over again to get it work, but not always success.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
It's a limitation in the DRAW_TRILIST command. If you make sure to split it into different lists and also that the vertex list stays below 64k it should work fine.
Thanks, Arno. I hadn't bother to identify which instruction was at fault, but it was apparent that 64K was the maximum.

Also I found that to be completely happy in FSX I need to make slight line corrections in some places, after that line just disappears in FSX. Well my logic say that it could be change in total line length, so, I need to go to the line properties and assign all parameters over again to get it work, but not always success.
Could you be a little more specific, please, about the nature of the changes and give a repeatable example. From your screenshot, you are nowhere near the limits Arno is referring to.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
fsfox, if you attach your AD3 file to a post or e-mail it to me (don at stuff4fs dot com), I'll take a look.
Re the test file you sent me, I duplicated your results exactly. However, I received a host of coordinates under the error message heading "The ground poly object(s) bounded as follows cannot be triangulated". Those coordinates correspond to the missing ground poly objects.

Did you not receive those errors?

Those errors are due to the method of 100m. partitioning for FSX. But these were very complicate test objects - unlikely to be encountered at a simulated airport (i.e., lines crossing partitioning boundaries two or more times). Given the difficulty I've encountered developing an otherwise-acceptable partitioning routine, I'm reluctant to "open it up" again - at least until it is demonstrated that it presents impractical limitations with realistic GP objects.

From your screenshots, it does not appear that the missing lines are due to this issue. If you send me the AD3 file for the airport in your screenshot above, I'll try to determine the cause.

EDIT: Having taken a second look, one of the two missing objects could not have crossed a partitioning boundary twice. There may be more at play here than I initially thought. Update later.

Don

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I've found the real problem. While it was detected during partitioning, it was not caused by partitioning. The cause was the failure of ADE_GP to require an edit of the missing objects prior to compile.

fsfox, if you simply edit the two missing test objects and click OK without doing anything else, the compile should be error-free and those two test objects should appear in FSX. Try that as well with the missing objects from the screenshot above.

I'll re-release as soon as I figure out how to detect the issue prior to compile.

Don

Country
russia
Thank you very much for your reply and founding an issue.. BTW, as I told before that after line shape correction I need to go to "Edit object", make change (without changing anything) and hit ok.. Line is up. That is a few more extra steps that some one may go nuts of. [Solved for now]

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The new Version 0.0.97 automatically calls for this additional edit when needed. As mentioned in the user manual, whenever you tweak GP line or poly vertices in ADE, you should edit the object to ensure the texture positioning is still correct - but are not required to do so at the time. However, if you don't do so, the compiler will recognize this and offer you a chance to edit just prior to the compile operation.

The earlier problem was that the compiler didn't recognize the need (and obviously, with the test objects you sent there was a need) for an edit. Instead, it issued error messages saying it couldn't compile the objects.

Don

Country
russia
BTW quick one, not related to an issue..
ADE_GP editor TAB next value functionality.

Layer (5-63) > Line Width (M) > Main Texture > Line Pattern/Style >Backing Width (M) >Backing Texture.

This above could be right order if you press [TAB] button to enter next value and could save the time.

Now it is going like:
Layer > Cancel > Zoom +/- > Change color > width ..

Ok.. Im going..

Ed.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I don't generally use tabs on a form, so it's not until someone bring this to my attention that it usually gets done. Next release.

Don

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Don

I must admit I generally forget to set it myself but a lot of users do use the tab key between fields