• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

AFLT3 Final Beta Release Posted

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
How does lights look for P3Dv3 by using this tool ?
Don't know how to answer that. Things look the same in P3Dv3 with this new version as they do in earlier versions with its predecessor (but are processed as simobjects instead of scenery objects.)

If you want to see a sample, download any of my airports and select custom lights.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Development Release 2.0.06 just posted. It avoids a possible unhandled exception when specifying location of FSX compiler.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Minutes after posting Release 2.0.06, someone reported the color of some of the lenses was not right. Fixed in Development Release 2.0.07.

Don

Country
us-california
Is 2.0.0.7 posted? I still get 2.0.0.6 when I click on Development Release.

Thanks,
Barry

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Thanks for letting me know. 2.0.07 was posted, but I neglected to change the updated control file.

It's OK now.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I am VERY happy to report that I have now found the "recipe" for P3D v3+ compatibility using SimObjects. (This time it's real!!!)

In doing so, I have also solved the effects range problem. With AFLT simobjects, visibility over 10 miles is possible using a specialized effects texture and "tuned" effect parameters. I am hopeful that this new effect configuration is also useable with FS9/FSX - but I haven't yet proven that.

Managing hundreds of simobjects takes a heavy toll on FPS. In the case on my own CYYJ, which has >700 custom lights (i.e., simobjects) the FPS hit is about 40%. But, with PV4 and a reasonably modern computer, this is tolerable. Whether or not you will get the necessary minimum performance with PV3 will depend on your specific circumstances.

Generation of SimObjects for AFLT relies on you having a .xml version of your airport - including custom lights - compatible with the version of P3D with which you want to use the new capability - compatible meaning for P3Dv4 for example - .xml for any Flightsim version of your airport. If you are already using AFLT for FS9 or FSX, you can have PV3+ operating with simobjects in less than 5 minutes (once you read the revised user manual).

This new capability is available with Development Release 2.0.08, available from http://stuff4fs.com. It is implemented using Pv4's "discoverable add-on" facility (which is also available in Pv3 but was seldom used). If you are not familiar with this facility and have difficulty, please review the "Add-ons" section of the SDK.

If you are using AFLT and have Pv3+, please give the new capability a try. Even if you aren't currently a AFLT user, you're welcome to give it a try. (The archive contains a full release. But you'll have to expend some effort creating custom lighting for your airport first.)

Enjoy,
Don

PS: Just to temper expectations, I suspect you'll find the lights up close, in particular the runway edge lights to be far too bright/large. With some work on the custom texture, I expect in the final version that they will be much smaller while maintaining the visible range.

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Over the past couple of weeks, I have used the new P3Dv3/4 capability extensively updating my own airport. In doing so, I have added several new element types, reduced the FPS hit and corrected a few minor problems. The result is Development Release 2.0.10, now available at http://stuff4fs.com.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
At long last, I have released a P3d v3/4-compatible version of AFLT. General Release 2.1.00 is available from http://stuff4fs.com. It should be detected automatically the next time you run AFLT.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Turns out my general release yesterday was a bit premature. An unexpected side-effect has been discovered. I'll fix and re=release - hopefully later today.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
AFLT3, the most powerful and easiest to use version of AFLT, is almost ready for general release. All its features are fully operation with one tiny exception. That is, obstruction lights on buildings don't yet work in P3D. That shortcoming will be rectified shortly. An extensively revised user manual is included.

The hopefully-final beta release is available from http://stuff4fs. Navigate to User Applications/ Airfield Lights Toolbox (AFLT) and click the Development Release menu item.

For those who missed the initial announcement, further details on AFLT3 are available here.

Thanks to those who participated in the beta.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have resolved the outstanding issue and posted Development Release 3.0.04 to http://stuff4fs. I have also posted the revised user manual for those who may wish to explore the new capabilities in more detail. They're both available by navigating to the User Applications/AFLT page.

Barring discovery of any issues over the next week or so, this will become the initial General Release.

Don

Country
france
Hello,

Thank you Don for your tool.

I have some difficulties to find the way how to make and place light objects for P3D v4. Your documentaton has been made for FS9 then FSX, then P3D. So it's a bit confusing to find the good sections to follow (and I'm French :p).
I'd like to make wigwags for my airport. I understood I have to make a simobject... Can I use the wigwag model?
If someone have already succeeded please can you explain a bit more?

Thanks in advance
Michel

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Glad to hear from you Michael. The procedures are virtually identical for all Flightsim versions, though, admittedly, BGL_LIGHTs don't apply to P3D. But, as noted in the manual, effects are the default for P3D, so it doesn't really matter which (BGL_LIGHT or Effect) you check.

Making a wigwag is no different that any other element. Create a wigwag element with AFLT's Main Panel, make it's GUID known your airport editor and specify its location in the airport editor. (While AFLT doesn't currently support doing so, I could easily allow specification of wigwags using the array capability - like already exists for PAPIs. Frankly, the fact that its missing from the array feature is an oversight.) Then create a library containing the wigwag and start Flightsim. The wigwag should be visible.

I have about a dozen of them at my CYYJ.

Don,

Country
france
Thanks for your answer Don.

So I made two wigwags objects from the main panel using std GUID.
While trying to make a library with custom effects (same with LOD-variable size), AFLT3 says :
"Unable to create 3D model and/or light (to/for) LFML...
Attach point not found in FSX base model"
If I continue for the two objects it says :
"No custom ligths found in this file".

Nothing is created except the two ini and mdl files for the two objects.

That was why I asked you if I can use the base models found with your sofware.
I don't need arrays for wigwags of course. They come by 2 with different directions anyway.

Michel

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Std/FS9 guid is simply a choice of display format for convenience. It has nothing to do with the model.

"Unable to create 3D model and/or light (to/for) LFML...
Attach point not found in FSX base model"
What base model did you use?

"No custom ligths found in this file".
Did you place the wigwags with ADE then compile the ADE file and use the .xml file generated by that compile on the Make Library dialog?

That was why I asked you if I can use the base models found with your software.
I didn't interpret you question that way. Unless you wish to create your own base model, you MUST use the base models from AFLT

I don't need arrays for wigwags of course. They come by 2 with different directions anyway
That's good, because I've checked and creating wigwags as arrays is not a good idea after all.

As noted in the manual, I really need your entire Library Folder to diagnose most issued. In your case, if you followed the instructions in the manual, then I also need your .ad4 file.

Don

Country
france
What base model did you use?

WigWag

Did you place the wigwags with ADE then compile the ADE file and use the .xml file generated by that compile on the Make Library dialog?

I think that's the point. I don't understand how to place an object with ADE on my airport if I have no bgl file for the model. I just succeeded to have a mdl file.
I can edit xml file to add an object, but what's the relation with ADE? ADE should help me to place the object where it should be.
I read again your manual but still confusing. I think I missed something.

Thanks to spend time for help

Attachments

• LFML_ADEP4_MBS.ad4
    388.4 KB · Views: 209
  • LFML_wigwag.mdl
    17.9 KB · Views: 246
  • LFML_ADEP4_MBS_OBJ XML.zip
    7.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33.3 KB · Views: 258

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
You appear to have missed at least one step.

First of all, you should be using the latest development release, i.e. 3.0.05. and the latest user manual dated July 4. Both are available on my website.

Please refer to page 12 of the manual. After you create the two elements, make an object library, ignoring any warnings about no XML file specified. Load that object library into ADE using ADE's Library Object Manager and place the two wigwags. Compile the airport and specify the .xml file so generated in the textbox at the top of the Make Library page. Then Make Library a second time.

BTW, when I ask for the Library Folder (as defined in the user manual), I mean the entire folder and its contents)., Without all the files, there's little I can do but guess.

Don