• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Airport Design Editor Version 1.20 Released

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Airport Design Editor version 1.20 is now available. This a significant upgrade to the Program and contains many fixes and functional enhancements. It also see the merging of Home and Pro Edition functionality. As of version 1.20 there is only one edition of ADE.

Major new functionality includes the creation and manipulation of terrain elements such as airport backgrounds, land class and exclusions. There is no longer any need to use a separate utility to modify the terrain at your airport. Also ADE now loads the generic buildings, library objects, windsocks and fuel triggers with a stock airport. Once included you can move, delete or otherwise modify these items and ADE automatically takes care of excluding the stock objects. You can add stock library objects and ADE makes it simple to accurately enhance your local airport with easy access to around 450 common objects including library objects, windsocks and fuel triggers.

Other enhancements include copy/paste; display the XML code for the airport or any object, and automatic updating of ILS, Starts and runway links when a runway is renumbered.

ADE 1.20 is delivered via an installer that also allows you to download the tutorials. A new installation and configuration tutorial is released alongside providing information on setting up this new version.

The full package is available from http://www.scruffyduck.co.uk/files/ade_120.zip

Full Change Log for Version 1.20

NEW
  • There is now only a single version of ADE (Home and Pro Editions are merged)
  • Option to pass Approach Data through ADE
  • Display Element XML
  • Automatic search for folder paths
  • Position Markers
  • Terminal waypoints are now displayed. They can be moved but not deleted
  • Terrain polygons using Shp2Vec. ADE includes exclusions, airport backgrounds (includng flattens) and land class
  • Stock objects such as generic buildings, library objects, windsocks and fuel triggers are now loaded with a stock airport. They are automatically excluded in the stock file so that the user can move, delete or modify them in the ADE file.
  • Set Scenery Complexity in ADE to match that in FSX and ADE displays only those objects that will be displayed in FSX.
  • Project versioning. Users can now set a version number of their ade projects and keep multiple versions
  • Re numbering runways will automatically renumber ILS, Starts and runway links.
  • ADE remembers user settings for apron surface, taxi link surface/width, gate type and Scenery Complexity
  • Fault finder reports duplicate parking spots. That is having same type, name and number
  • Esc key as short cut to return to pointer mode
  • Closed runway markings are now displayed
  • ModelData is now removed from incoming Bgl files
  • Creation of backup file when saving airport in ade format
  • Check that FSX is not using the bgl file before attempting a compile. If ADE finds that the bgl file is in use it warns and aborts the compile

UPDATED
  • The way that ADE creates exclusions
  • The way in which screen is re-drawn when updating multiple objects
  • New User Wizard and Option Settings
  • Rotate all rotatable objects with mouse wheel and Alt key
  • ADE now auto surfaces links on aprons when link is created
  • Way in which taxi junctions are drawn
  • Display shows length and heading of guideline when being drawn
  • ADE now reads only stock airports into stock airport list
  • Can now cancel a new object from the properties dialog
  • Show/Hide the entire taxi and parking network
  • Stock airport list now shows the folder and file for the selected airport
  • Parking Tee offsets now shown in user defined units and not just meters
  • ADE now recognizes changes to vertex point will require file to be saved
  • No longer assign a com frequency that is used by a nearby (25nm) airport
  • MRU airline list now remembered between sessions
  • Markers now drawn respecting heading
  • Users can no longer delete a runway that has user defined ILS associated with it. The ILS must be deleted first
  • Type NONE for parking spot is no longer allowed. Any found in input changed to RAMP_GA
  • Only valid Com frequencies are allowed. New dialog selects random frequency
  • Property Dialog no longer stays on top of all other windows and applications

FIXED
  • CTD where background image file not found
  • Background color problem in Fault Finder
  • Bug that turned off Hold Short Limit display when loading a new airport
  • Bug that caused CTD when double clicking in an open space
  • Bug that stopped ILS DME from being moved
  • Bug that stopped user from inserting a node into a link when the display is rotated
  • Bug where Com frequency cannot be added if a stock freq is selected
  • Bug with ILS frequencies when regional setting is for comma decimal separator
  • Bug where after multi select of links link type box goes missing from dialog
  • Handling of cardinal runway numbers (N,S,E.W etc)
  • Problems with DME/GS handling and Undo/Redo
  • Bug that caused CTD when deleting runway with user Ils
  • Drawing error on long taxi links
  • Missing label for altitude box on helipad properties
  • Com frequency range to make it valid
  • Blank Airline list box in Parking Properties that generated error message

Last edited:
I haven`t used it yet, downloading as we speak. But I`ve got to say I`m amazed at the amount and quality of the changes. this looks like a phenomenal amount of work has been put in to both produce, test and release the product. Many many thanks to one and all, your efforts do not go unnoticed.

Reider

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I haven`t used it yet, downloading as we speak. But I`ve got to say I`m amazed at the amount and quality of the changes. this looks like a phenomenal amount of work has been put in to both produce, test and release the product. Many many thanks to one and all, your efforts do not go unnoticed.

Reider

Thanks Steve it is a team effort :) Let us know how you get on :)

Country
unitedkingdom
Jon,
This looks great. Many thanks to you and the team.
Am I correct in assuming that this is not available via the updater but requires a de-install of v1.05 followed by a fresh install of v1.20.

Rod.

Country
us-ohio
Outstanding work Jon by you and your team.
I look forward to being secluded from the world for the next day or two to explore the new and updated version.

Thank You Again for assisting us in making FS a bigger brighter world. :D

Country
germany
Jon,
This looks great. Many thanks to you and the team.
Am I correct in assuming that this is not available via the updater but requires a de-install of v1.05 followed by a fresh install of v1.20.

Rod.

Hi Rod,

strictly speaking de-installation of 1.05 is not possible, because it has no such routine. You can rename the old directory and delete it after you are satisfied with the new version, or you can install ADE 1.20 into a different folder.

If you install the new version over version 1.05, then the installer would delete all files and subfolders as the first task of the installation.

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks for the kind words guys :) As Martin says 1.20 is a separate install. Probably the best way is to install it to a new folder other than 1.05 and take it from there

Last edited:
Country
us-florida
Cool! Glad I saw this announcement.

I have just uninstalled and swept my harddrive clean of all my previous installations of FSX SDK etc, in an attempt to get ADE to work on my machine.

Currently at work ... later this afternoon I'll download it and give it a go! (Hope it works!) ((I'm sure it does, it'll probably be related to my setup if it doesn't!)) I know where to throw blame. LOL.

Thanks Jon and team! I'll keep ya'll posted as to my success or not.

Country
germany
I can not see any reason why we wouldn't get ADE to work on you machine, Snuffy. Tell us if you are successful or not.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I can not see any reason why we wouldn't get ADE to work on you machine, Snuffy. Tell us if you are successful or not.

The past problems have been with SimConnect Martin and we never found a satisfactory solution :eek:

Country
germany
I remember that you mentioned a strange one with Simconnect, Jon. Can you point me to a thread so that I can read what was going on?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I remember that you mentioned a strange one with Simconnect, Jon. Can you point me to a thread so that I can read what was going on?

Not sure Martin - it is here in the forum somewhere but I don't think Ted started it. Also we had some exchanges by pm. The problem is one we have seen before in that ADE does not appear to be able to find the correct version of SimConnect (ADE uses the one that comes with the RTM DVD) It should be in the GAC. We tried the usual tricks of searching for it and re-installing from the SDK but nothing worked as I recall

Country
germany
I have just uninstalled and swept my harddrive clean of all my previous installations of FSX SDK etc, in an attempt to get ADE to work on my machine.

Then hopefully this will do the trick. Which OS are we talking about?

Country
germany
Little bug?

Hey Jon,

many thanks for your wonderful work. It's great.

But there is a little bug. The display of Library Objects seems not be correct.
For example: Airport ETNL
The Medium Fuel Station has the size of 151 x 854, but in the file adeObjectList.dat the size is given to 1.51|8.54.
I'm using the Regional settings for Germany. That's the problem :rolleyes:

Regards

Horst

Country
us-florida
Hey Guys. Sorry at work and not able to stay up to date on the discussion.

I'm using XP Pro.

I haven't installed FSX yet either ... as it was late last night when I got done with all the maintainence on the machine from the uninstall.

I plan on bugging out of work around 3:30 4:00 pm this afternoon and heading home to get this under way.

In an effort to understand what's going on in my system, I posted this thread about version installation orders.
And Jon, is correct, most of our discussion were in the form of PM. It's still unresolved.

Last edited:
Country
netherlands
Thanks Jon for all the good work done.
I will start testing it right away...!

Kind regards.
Bert

Country
us-florida
Version 1.20

Jon, I am so glad to get this new version. I certainly am liking the new addition of being able to add library objects. I am awaiting the version that will allow the inputing of terminal buildings. This is good work and you and the team are certainly to be commended. With that said, I commend you and the ADE team for a fine peice of software.
Gelowims