• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v2 Alouette 3

I think a combination of the current blade alpha and the one Brandon pointed to would be best based on the videos i looked at on youtube. I watched a few videos and the blurred blade is more pronounced than what is in the original animation, yet wider than what Brandon pointed to.
The main problem with the Owen heli remake is since it doesn't use the rotor disc method and rotor animation is heavily influenced by demanding scenery, you can easily get slow animation or very little at all depending on the scenery and this can look really bad in spot view (looks great in screenshots). The rotor disc method gives a better illusion of spinning blades when the animation is affected by the scenery or weather IMO..

Looking really good so far!!!

Need any help with the main rotor blur? Everything else looks fantastic, except the blur, which is kind of blocky.

I'm thinking something a little more like the 3D blur I did for the FSX native upgrade of Owen Hewitt's Bell 206 a few years ago:

I think a combination of the current blade alpha and the one Brandon pointed to would be best based on the videos i looked at on youtube. I watched a few videos and the blurred blade is more pronounced than what is in the original animation, yet wider than what Brandon pointed to.
The main problem with the Owen heli remake is since it doesn't use the rotor disc method and rotor animation is heavily influenced by demanding scenery, you can easily get slow animation or very little at all depending on the scenery and this can look really bad in spot view (looks great in screenshots). The rotor disc method gives a better illusion of spinning blades when the animation is affected by the scenery or weather IMO..

Looking really good so far!!!

Exactly what I was thinking, it does look great in screenshots but that isn't what the simmers want I guess! but anyway I would love to know how to create that kind of blurred rotor and maybe we can add that to the already existing disc.

I've posted a video here you should check out the animation:

Honestly, I don't see anything 'wrong' with the current animation and texture.

Experimenting with the materials nowadays and finalizing the 1st exterior model;

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Edit: Filter close up shot now that we have it on our engine....
filter.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice indeed! I like the shine! I assume the filter on the engine is texturing?

Small note: would you consider modelling the handgrips (or what are they) instead of texturing them? They're quite large, so true 3D would not be bad.

Despite of all criticism I put here, please understand I really like your work! You're showing very good modelling and texturing, and everything remains so clean, silent: not overdone. Superb!

Btw, what's the problem with the forward door animation?

Very nice indeed! I like the shine! I assume the filter on the engine is texturing?

Small note: would you consider modelling the handgrips (or what are they) instead of texturing them? They're quite large, so true 3D would not be bad.

Despite of all criticism I put here, please understand I really like your work! You're showing very good modelling and texturing, and everything remains so clean, silent: not overdone. Superb!

Btw, what's the problem with the forward door animation?

Thanks .... hand grips?

the forward door animation might come in the next model with floats or the 20mm gun.... the problem is that I am using 3ds max 7 and that certain amount of boolean operations end up either in bad shapes or corrupt files :(

And yes that filter is 100% percent texture alpha work

Does Max 7 have the "ProBoolean" tool? If so, it works much, much better than the regular Boolean...

These... Or whatever they are :p

3.jpg

The filter looks very good, no jaggy lines etc.

Really looking forward to this birdie ;)

Does Max 7 have the "ProBoolean" tool? If so, it works much, much better than the regular Boolean...

Nope I don't find any pro-boolean here.....

These... Or whatever they are :p

The filter looks very good, no jaggy lines etc.

Really looking forward to this birdie ;)

Ok, will look into it tomorrow.....

Here is something to discuss for the next few hours ...
2.jpg

tiger1.jpg
3.jpg

Edit: Done ....

done.jpg

Last edited:
That is a beautiful paint! Your tailboom texturing (rivets and panels) looks excellent, gives really the feeling of flying metal :D

Nice work, looking real good!
watching your video again, I wonder if there is a way to get a smooth, constant rotation with the rotor animation, like in this video
maybe a different animation tag, like ambient as opposed to the default tag which makes the animation jerky and changes direction.

Can I please request a version with the copilot visible in the VC, so I am not alone in the cockpit. Maybe as a toggle, on/off option. I also like to replay flights from the backseat perspective and seeing a figure in the pilot seat is key for the immersion.

Nice work, looking real good!
watching your video again, I wonder if there is a way to get a smooth, constant rotation with the rotor animation, like in this video
maybe a different animation tag, like ambient as opposed to the default tag which makes the animation jerky and changes direction.

Can I please request a version with the copilot visible in the VC, so I am not alone in the cockpit. Maybe as a toggle, on/off option. I also like to replay flights from the backseat perspective and seeing a figure in the pilot seat is key for the immersion.

It can definitely be done, it was like that before I rotated the rotor 240 deg rather than 360 and got that kind of animation but sometimes it gave a feeling of slow rotation! .... and about the pilot, lets make VC first... still a long way to go.

Work on it has been started.... more previews and VC will come after this thing is complete!

destroyer.jpg

Does Max 7 have the "ProBoolean" tool?

Unfortunately it was first introduced with Max 8 subscriptions and became fully part of Max in version 9: before all that it was a payware plugin for Max afaik.

Last edited:
Back