• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Animations with Blender exporter

Country
peru
Hi again
Does anyone have tried to make animated objects export to the sim via the blender exporter?

thanks

Country
australia
Yes, I'm just troubleshooting some issues I have at the moment and asking someone for some assistance before I make a post here that I hope will help others as well.

TL:DR Name the animation the same as your defined animation in your XML file

Country
philippines
Yes, I'm just troubleshooting some issues I have at the moment and asking someone for some assistance before I make a post here that I hope will help others as well.

TL:DR Name the animation the same as your defined animation in your XML file
yay!! :D

Country
england
Ah, so you name the animation. I was naming the part.
I'll try that later, thanks.

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You must name the animation as it appears in Blender in the little animation box to bottom right, in the animation window. Blender adds the word Action to a part name to signify an animation.

A part named l_gear would thus have an animation name of l_gearAction - this is what the gLTF exporter seems to look for.

Also, don't rename parts once animated - I tried that in early experiments and it killed the animation and required re-keying the frames to bring it back to life. Just stick with Blender's conventino in your coding and things should animate fine.

Country
australia
You must name the animation as it appears in Blender in the little animation box to bottom right, in the animation window. Blender adds the word Action to a part name to signify an animation.
Actually :D You can RENAME that animation ;)

Country
australia
1598260800291.png

Expand the objects in the inspector, open the animation and double click the name to rename :D

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Yes, but in my experience once exported to MSFS this then kills the animation. They seem to have to be animated AFTER being named - doing it the other way round doesn't work.

Country
australia
Yes, but in my experience once exported to MSFS this then kills the animation. They seem to have to be animated AFTER being named - doing it the other way round doesn't work.
Yea if you rename the object I think i renames the anim so rename object first then animation. Will have more on this as the week progresses. Elbow deep in digging stuff out of an AIR file into cfg's

Country
england
Hi chaps,

Slowly getting to grips with the animation process. Is it possible to have the same animation name on more than one part?
At the moment if I name a second part animation with an animation name that's already been used on another part, Blender renames the first animation to "animation_name.001" and it then no longer works in the sim.
I can get around it by making unique entries the the behaviour xml for each part, but that's going to be a right pain for complicated animations.

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I can get around it by making unique entries the the behaviour xml for each part, but that's going to be a right pain for complicated animations.

Right now, that's the only way I'm aware of - unique entries under each main heading ( c_gear, l_gear etc ). A pain indeed, but once you have that all down, you can re-use much of it for other airplanes as long as you name the parts the same way.

Country
england
Ah, ok, thanks. It's not too bad on my current model, that's only a handful of duplicated animations. Now I know I can press on.
Cheers.

Country
peru
will this work for animated scenery objects? or marshallers are considered also "simobjects" instead?

Country
spain
I am having the problem with the parent and child animated with same name it adds 001, 002 , etc to the name. It is not elegant and not good maybe for performance and for sure for maintenance of the xml files to add separate names per same parent-childs objects.
In 3DStudio max there is the Babylon Animation Groups. You select all parent and childs and all are named under that name:

b8d5002ddb42f8165c187f03c6607188.png

https://gyazo.com/b8d5002ddb42f8165c187f03c6607188

Is there a way to program that in the Blender exporter? Thanks!