Attempting to modify library objects

P3D / Win 10

Forgive me if these questions have been asked, and please point me in the right direction.

I have a BGL file that has 28 items in it. I want to extract perhaps 5 items and change the scaling on them. (Original author made them too narrow). Then create a new BGL file with them or simply “replace” the bogus ones in the original BGL with the corrected ones. I cannot get it to save into a new BGL so I can update my object library in ADE.

I know I’m missing a step or two,

The steps I took are,
1. Import the BGL. The 28 items contained in the BGL do appear and I can scroll through them
2. With the item I want to manipulate in the window, I rescale the axis I’m interested in
3. I change the name of that item and generate a new ID
4. I attempt to export it into a renamed BGL, but nothing happens. There are no errors or issues in the log that I can see. The paths to my SDK files are set in the options.

Is it possible to do what I want?

Thanks in advance!

TB2

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

Yes it's possible, and it sounds OK. I don't know why you need to change the name and ID of the object, if your goal is to replace the original object? If you leave it the same all previously placed objects will now use your rescaled version. Exactly how are you exporting it? You should use Export Scenery and export to a BGL file of the sim you are using (drop down box). You should see a yellow box appear on the screen while compiling.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

If you want to export them as a new BGL file, giving them a new GUID is a good idea. Else you will have the same GUID in multiple files and that will give issues.

If you only want 5 of the objects in your new BGL file, I would first go to the Scenery Object Editor form and use the Remove object button there to remove the objects you don't want to keep. After that you can scale the remaining like you did.

Last step would be to export the scenery to a BGL file again. That should give you the new BGL file and if there are any issues exporting they will appear in the log.

Thank you for the suggestions, I do not see a "Scenery Object Editor" form and I didn't see any reference to it on the WIKI. I am using rev 1.3.0.0 Is it a specific button on MCX or is it a stand alone program?

Thanks!

tgibson

Resource contributor
You need to update to the latest development release. The stable release (1.3) is way too old and may not allow these changes.

Hey look at that! A whole new learning curve to master! (Not that I had learned that much from the short time I was using 1.3). LOL!

I'll give it a whirl and see what I can come up with.

Thanks!

One more question, is there a way to measure or determine the size of an object? Say a hangar is too narrow and needs to be 50 ft wide. Is there a way to know what you have before and what you wind up with after rescaling?

Thanks!

tgibson

Resource contributor
Sure. If not turned on already, click the Display Grid button near the left end of the lower row of buttons. The default grid spacing is every 10 meters. If you want to change that to every 10 feet (for example), go to Options/Renderer Settings and change the Grid Step line from 10 to 3.048. Now you can determine the size of your objects from the grid.

Hope this helps,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Also the move dialog will show you the bounding box size, including the new size after the scale you enter.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
It's the bounding box that fits around the entire object.

Thanks Arno. It took a bit, but I'm learning it. I needed to hit the "center" button to see the change. Are these in feet or meters? (what the bounding box shows)

Also, how are you getting the value of 3.048? Is that supposed to be meters to foot conversion? If so, shouldn't that be 32.808? Not a big deal, but need to know if I want to display grid in one foot increments.

Thanks again!!!

TB2

Also, not sure how the numbers in the bounding box relates to meters / feet... Can you explain?

I've tried to make sense of the bounding box numbers, feet or meters, and it does not "add up" to what ADE says the size ultimately is. Not sure if I'm misunderstanding something or not. Not critical, but would make life easier.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Yes, the bounding box is in meters.

One foot = 0.3048 meters. So since the number you enter is in meters, for a 10 foot grid you would enter 3.048. A one foot grid would be 0.3048

Duhh. I was getting whacked on my conversion.

One more question if you don't mind, Can I take a library file that has (say) 4 items in it, and add a .mdl file to it without whacking the other objects in that file?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
In the scenery object editor that I mentioned before you can also add new objects to the scenery and then export it to BGL. So that can be used to add an additional object.

Thank you for your patience and guidance. This has gone a long way to help me complete my project and gain understanding of the program.

TB2