P3D v4 Autogen for Germany

While Thuringia is almost finished and only a little testing is going on, I have already started today with the autogen for Saxony.

Here a picture from ArcGIS to show how the data look like, which I am processing for the autogen:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Oh I really love them, Matthias.
I wish I could do that. Too bad that there is no Street View information in my country. I have read that Google use the satellite photo to create the building footprint. Computer read the satellite photo and create the building foot print and rectify and smooth the lines that have been created. It is still hard for me to do that unless I have the knowledge and the same software that Google use.

Oh, I totally agree.
Google and Microsoft are using the satellite imagery and high resolution LIDAR-Data to detect the building footprints.
DigitalGlobe is also creating building footprints: http://www.digitalglobe.com/products/building-footprints
But of course these are quite expensive...

I also still have no script to create the footprints, which would be quite important for the autogen in regions where the openStreetMap data is not as good as in central europe...

Hello folks!

Tomorrow is the big day - whole Germany is ready!
I will upload the last part - Baden-Wuerttemberg - probably tonight (or tomorrow).
Tomorrow there'll be a bigger post!

And I have some good news for everyone who switched to P3Dv4.5 and have fps problems:
It seems that the autogen polyline buildings are the reason for decrease of the fps. In my autogen, you won't find any polyline buildings, i have completely renounced these!

Last edited:
Some pictures from Baden-Wuerttemberg... These will be the last previews!
EDDS:

Stuttgart:

The black forest:

Near the french border:

And in the north...

As promised, the last part is ready for download!
http://www.fsxforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=19063

The whole of Germany is now finished!

Then some more information... If desired!
I wrote in the first post: "For whole Germany I assume a size of approx. 350 GB, with 1 m/px aerial photos and 3 seasons."
Many thought, this is not possible with 350 GB. I'm a little surprised myself, as I had expected a few GB more in between.
In fact, it's pretty much exactly 345 GB.
Now I'm thinking if it's worth to create a lower resolution version and upload it.
If I have not miscalculated, it is possible to pack the whole of Germany in approx. 30 GB, but with only one season and a sufficient resolution of 2 m/px.

After all:
Have a nice Easter and a good flight!

Whilst consolidating all agn files, I wonder if you could explain why the same agn file created in different regions can have different sizes:

find nearest bp station

I understood that you use the same photographic scenery and land classification for each region.

Last edited:
Hallo MatthiasKNU!
Wow dass du Autogen für Deutschland machst.

Aber Häuser soll deutschtypisch sein. Bitte Autogen auch für Großstädte.

Bitte Autogen genau platzieren, wo Häuser stehen.

Wichtig: Altstadt gut erkennen. (rote Dach)

Vielleicht dazu Kirchen in Dorf

Whilst consolidating all agn files, I wonder if you could explain why the same agn file created in different regions can have different sizes:

I understood that you use the same photographic scenery and land classification for each region.
Oh, that's pretty easy to explain:
Imagine you have a agn-Tile, with a border straight over it. The left side is i.e. Hessen, the right side is Bavaria. So the tile with the autogen for Hessen is in Hessen-Download, the tile with the autogen for Bavaria is in Bavaria-Download.

Hallo MatthiasKNU!
Wow dass du Autogen für Deutschland machst.
Aber Häuser soll deutschtypisch sein. Bitte Autogen auch für Großstädte.
Bitte Autogen genau platzieren, wo Häuser stehen.
Wichtig: Altstadt gut erkennen. (rote Dach)
Vielleicht dazu Kirchen in Dorf
Of course the houses have the central-european style (as far as the default P3D supports that). The Houses are placed by using shapefiles, with a spatial tolerance of about 12 cm. I think that is exact enough.
Regarding the "Altstadt": It is not as easy as you think, because I have no information, where a "Altstadt" is. So that's not possible yet. Churches in the villages would be possible, but P3D does not bring good, german church-models with it.

---
Natürlich haben die Häuser den mitteleuropäischen Stil (soweit das der Standard-P3D unterstützt). Die Häuser werden mit Hilfe von Shapefiles mit einer räumlichen Toleranz von ca. 12 cm platziert. Ich denke, das ist genau genug.
Bezüglich der "Altstadt": Es ist nicht so einfach, wie du denkst, denn ich habe keine GIS-Informationen, wo eine "Altstadt" ist. Das ist also noch nicht möglich. Kirchen in den Dörfern wären möglich, aber P3D bringt keine guten, deutschen Kirchenmodelle mit.

Last edited:
Oh, that's pretty easy to explain:
Imagine you have a agn-Tile, with a border straight over it. The left side is i.e. Hessen, the right side is Bavaria. So the tile with the autogen for Hessen is in Hessen-Download, the tile with the autogen for Bavaria is in Bavaria-Download.
So there is no overlap?