Autogen from OpenStreetMap data with scenProc

I find it somewhat vague on the way you handle getting the data from GIS and finally compiling it to FSX. Some more steps would be nice in that section.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Which part is missing for you? It is described how to save the files to shapefile. It is described how to make the configuration file for scenproc and it is described how to compile this file. Which of those parts could have a little more detail?

First of all thanks for your nice tutorial! It is nicely written and I did not encounter any problems using it although I never did this Autogen editing. I just encountered a few questions which have then be solved when reading the next paragraph.

Anyway, I have a question regarding the availability of the source data. I took also Luxembourg to start my first autogen experience. Now I really want to try this on California, however I cannot find on GeoFabrik the correspoding files. Am I missing something or do I need to go more in detail when doing it for the USA? I downloaded the two files for California from here but it did not worked. I did everything now for the fifth time and it still did not work. Are you maybe able to help me here?

Thanks in advance!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

It seems that for the US they don't offer shapefile downloads, only the OSM XML format. At the moment scenProc can't read that format, maybe I should add support in the future.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Hi Arno,
This is a very interesting Wiki. I was wondering if you can invent a tool to convert XML data to shape file. I'd like to do autogen for Bangkok. But the data in Shape file is available for Malaysia and Singapore.
I did try that but the program stopped respond while it was reading natural.shp file.
Could you provide the example of configuration file of scenProc.exe?
Do we need photoscenery for the destination folder at the time of program running?
Best Regards,
Tic

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Tic,

Yes, you need photo scenery for the autogen to work.

Check the scenproc manual on the wiki, it has an example configuration file. But this wiki page also contains them of course.

I'll add it to the wish list to read the osm XML format directly. I have done it in the past for another tool, so should not be too hard to add.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

That usually meant something went wrong. It happens when the location can not be determined.

Maybe you can post your configuration file?

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Hi Arno,
In my country there is no shape file format. I download from Streetmap and I got OSM file.
Arno said:
On their own website you can view the data and you can also download it in their own OSM format (which is XML). But that format is not so easy to process with GIS tools. Therefore we will download a shapefile version of the data.
Would you mind suggest any reading how to process OSM format to shapefile? I read in this and http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shapefiles still confused how to do that. Seems to me it is very difficult, involve a lot of process to do.
Best Regards,
Tic

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Tic,

I never converted from osm to shp manually. But I would try to do it in QGIS. It can load the osm data and once it is loaded you should be able to save to shp easily.

It is on the feature list to let scenproc read the osm XML format directly, but I haven't worked on that feature yet.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Thanks Arno for your reply.
I think autogen is the most tedious job in scenery design.
By the way, if it is possible to obtain the road line and convert it into the line in S-builderX. I think that will save a lot of time if the satellite photo is not available or available in low quality. In Asia and other places, it is difficult to get decent quality of satellite photo.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Tic,

Sbuilderx can import shapefiles as well, so that is probably the best way to get the road data into it. Of course that means you still have to go from osm to shp first :)

Hello, I have a problem with scenProc. I was exactly following the wiki article about doing autogen from OSM but I am stuck here.

I have exactly copied all the script, changing only the file paths. And check it, IMPORTSHP has errors with number of arguments.

Does anyone know what to do with that? Runing on Windows7 64bit with disabled UAC...

Thank you,
Pavel

Attachments

I think it have to do with a new improvement added recently. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scenerydesign.org%2F2013%2F01%2Ftwo-scenproc-changes%2F&ei=XO5FUYehN-uv7AaIp4DwCA&usg=AFQjCNFLoQ39FmRqt-ykPtvDiqKSVf4vhA&sig2=1HjTYDPYyT4Fl19vYZavNg&bvm=bv.43828540,d.ZGU
In the case you not make use of the new parameters you just have to add a sign like this "*" , for exemple: Importshp|buildings.shp|*|NOREPROJ
and SETAGNBUILDINGHEIGHT|*|1.0;0.0;0.0;0.0

Hmm, it could be it, but still some problem existis. I have modified the .spc file to look like that:

Code:
# Czech Republic autogen
 IMPORTSHP|C:\Users\brodhaq\Desktop\osm2fs\czech-republic-latest\natural.shp|*|NOREPROJ
 IMPORTSHP|C:\Users\brodhaq\Desktop\osm2fs\czech-republic-latest\buildings.shp|*|NOREPROJ
 IMPORTSHP|C:\Users\brodhaq\Desktop\osm2fs\czech-republic-latest\points.shp|*|NOREPROJ
 #
 SPLITGRID|AGN
 #
 SETAGNBUILDINGHEIGHT|*|1;0;0;0
 CREATEAGNPOLYVEG|FTYPE=POLYGON;type=forest|{e8b937fd-a1f2-4bd5-8548-2c80d30102af}
 CREATEAGNGENBUILD|FTYPE=POLYGON;FROMFILE=buildings.shp;FWIDTH<20|{5ae04eb6-934c-4f63-bb48-5e7dee601212}|MAXRATIO=2
 CREATEAGNGENBUILD|FTYPE=POLYGON;FROMFILE=buildings.shp;FWIDTH>20|{6089A0BD-CED1-4c47-9A9E-64CDD0E16983}
 #
 WRITEAGNFILES|FSX|C:\Users\brodhaq\Desktop\osm2fs\export\
but when I click Run I get following errors:

"Error while performing step IMPORTSHP
Unable to find installed ISAM driver" (it is partialy in Czech language, here is the translation)

Strange, isnt it?

Pavel

Attachments

have you been working with Scenproc before ? I mean if it work before these issues.
could be the problem have something to do with this ..."To be able to read shapefiles, you need to have the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 installed. Be aware to install the right version, if you are running a 64 bit OS, you need to have the 64 bit driver installed. If you get an error while installing that a 32 bit Microsoft Office is installed, you can run the installer in passive mode to still install the driver:

AccessDatabaseEngine_X64.exe /passive "

You can read about this in the Scenproc Manual.
I have had all these problems when running scenproc.

Last edited:
Hmm, I used to have Access Database Engine installed, but recently I uninstalled Office 2010 and installed 2013 (both 64bit) and it probably got damaged. After ADE reinstall/repair the scenProc seems to be working, I will let it be until morning, too much data to process (whole country at once)

Thank you for now,
Pavel

Last edited: