• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Avoiding Piracy

Country
spain
After months of creating an airport / scenery, its 3d models, textures, materials, and endless content. The time has come to sell it, but ...
The enemy of piracy is there and you wonder if there is any way to avoid it ...

All your effort of months of work is in a simple folder easy to share with friends ...

I suppose that most of you have experienced this situation or you will experience it very soon.

Do you have any information on how to avoid piracy in this new MSFS2020?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
MS is supposed to be introducing DRM in the Marketplace but I am not sure what to status is

Country
unitedkingdom
After months of creating an airport / scenery, its 3d models, textures, materials, and endless content. The time has come to sell it, but ...

All your effort of months of work is in a simple folder easy to share with friends ...

I suppose that most of you have experienced this situation or you will experience it very soon.

Sadly, piracy is always going to be around and it's next to impossible to defend from. I would just "take it on the chin" and just be aware it does and will happen. One thing you could do is download the torrents of your own products, see who it is registered to and then bar that person from getting support or even purchasing your other products. That's if you have a "registering" system (which is worth having).

Country
spain
Well I will see if I’m able to be part of the marketplace since im not in a business. Any of you have information about the requirements from Microsoft to be part of the marketplace? The law vary a lot depending on the country so I’m curious about what Microsoft is asking for.

Well I will see if I’m able to be part of the marketplace since im not in a business. Any of you have information about the requirements from Microsoft to be part of the marketplace? The law vary a lot depending on the country so I’m curious about what Microsoft is asking for.
the pace marketplace is going at the moment it will take 15 years to load your scenery in it.

Country
us-arizona
the pace marketplace is going at the moment it will take 15 years to load your scenery in it.
After the last update from Adobo, they mentioned over 1000 applicants and 50 have been added IIRC? Doesn't seem like the marketplace is a reality for most of us little guys, It'll probably be several months before I have anything worthy to put in there if ever so going to hope and wait and see what happens. Good luck to everyone out there trying to break out into pro scenery development.

I sure hope Adobo and or M$ come up with some sort of DRM soon, seems crazy to release anything for MSFS right now or is it just me?

Country
spain
Well I have been reviewing new content on the marketplace and there are a bunch of airports with default aprons and painted lines with only some 3D models. I mean, you don’t have to be a pro to be there, at least, most of the content out there is not professional.

yeah right now for freelances like us is risky and we are depending on customers good behaviour.

Well I have been reviewing new content on the marketplace and there are a bunch of airports with default aprons and painted lines with only some 3D models. I mean, you don’t have to be a pro to be there, at least, most of the content out there is not professional.

yeah right now for freelances like us is risky and we are depending on customers good behaviour.

i totally agree; some are nice quality some others not; having said that bit by bit more will be added on; i know for sure; Microsoft is loosing lots of money as i know some people are selling well and they are not listed at marketplace as sellers.
the longer they take to add developers on the more they loose.
marketplace is only a distribution center; devs are the publishers and responsible for what they sell; surely there will be a contract to sign with rules to follow.

Country
unitedstates
Is MSFS's DRM the same as the ENCODING , that the Premium, Deluxe & some addon planes have ?

Country
brazil
Is MSFS's DRM the same as the ENCODING , that the Premium, Deluxe & some addon planes have ?
The MSFS software has protection from Arxan company for MS-Store version and Steam protection for Steam version. The aircraft and scenery has no protection at all. But they promise DRM in the future for scenery. I will keep low expectations and I prefered to not take the risk to release anything right now.

Country
australia
When even MS and their DRM cannot prevent piracy what hope have we. After all MSFS2020 and the 2 patches as well as the "Pro" versions have already been pirated and available all over. So much for their DRM. Steam too same problem.
The hope is that more people will pay for the addons than those that pirate them.

Country
us-newyork
There is an existing DRM scheme for marketplace content. It encrypts select files from a marketplace package into "fsarchive" files, which appears to be signed with a unique public key per user. This is intended to not allow you to "drag and drop" files from one install to another. A developer would have to explicitly do this as part of the publishing process - this is not a public part of the sdk.

There's no such thing as preventing piracy. You do your best to take reasonable measures to make it harder for most, and you try to stay one step ahead. If somebody is determined to steal something, they will find a way to get away with it. MSFS2020 is no different from any other game, sim, or product in this regard.

Country
northkorea

bruh you can pirate the game itself, you won't be able to prevent pracy of mods. Plus paid mods is cringe, I would NEVER in my life pay for a mod made by some random dude on the internet. Especially when I'm using pirated game lol.

So yes, they will keep making games, you'll keep making mods and we'll keep downloading them for FREE lmao. Deal with it.:rotfl:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
bruh you can pirate the game itself, you won't be able to prevent pracy of mods. Plus paid mods is cringe, I would NEVER in my life pay for a mod made by some random dude on the internet. Especially when I'm using pirated game lol.

So yes, they will keep making games, you'll keep making mods and we'll keep downloading them for FREE lmao. Deal with it.:rotfl:
I hope you realize that we are a community of content makers for flight simulator here. Respecting the work of other developers is an important value here in this community. That also means respecting their choice to sell the work they have made and not pirating such work. Openly "promoting" pirating the game and addons is therefore not something we encourage or accept here at the forums.

Country
northkorea
I hope you realize that we are a community of content makers for flight simulator here. Respecting the work of other developers is an important value here in this community. That also means respecting their choice to sell the work they have made and not pirating such work. Openly "promoting" pirating the game and addons is therefore not something we encourage or accept here at the forums.
ah OK then you should ban me cause I don't respect those values. have a nice day.

Country
netherlands
Jeepers. For years we talk about how nice it would be to get new blood, then MS actually resurrects FS, and this is who we get?

This isn't what I crawled out of my hole for.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I almost fell for the North Korea location, "bruh."