• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Backup Problem.

Messages
10
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi.

I've just started to use ADE - I'm impressed at how much it has improved over AFCAD, which I used to use. However, I've twice come across the same problem. Twice I've saved the airport project 'as' another name, under the impression that the old name would be a backup I could return to if my continued work went wrong. The first time it couldn't load the old file I put it down to accident. However, exactly the same thing has happened twice - that is, I saved the file under another name and worked on that one, and then found that the old project version wouldn't load - the 'file damaged or not an ADE file' error.

EDIT! Sorry, found the problem. I'd moved the file into another folder! Sheeeshhhh!!! Note to self: do not edit airports late at night....
 
Last edited:
Hi.

I've just started to use ADE - I'm impressed at how much it has improved over AFCAD, which I used to use. However, I've twice come across the same problem. Twice I've saved the airport project 'as' another name, under the impression that the old name would be a backup I could return to if my continued work went wrong. The first time it couldn't load the old file I put it down to accident. However, exactly the same thing has happened twice - that is, I saved the file under another name and worked on that one, and then found that the old project version wouldn't load - the 'file damaged or not an ADE file' error.

Am I doing something wrong?

Did you save as an .ad2 file or as a .bgl file?

Using ADE, always save to .ad2
To get the bgl, compile the airport. Only load once from the bgl, then save to the AD2 and work from that.

if you can, take a couple screen shots or attach the file here and we will look into it.
 
ADE automatically makes backups. First the autosave file that is created at the interval you select - this is designed to allow recovery in the case of a crash where ADE does not offer to save.

Second is a .bak file that is created alongside the actual .ad2 project file. This is only as good as the last save however.

Finally there is a basic backup which is manual and can be found under Tools > Backup Project (Basic). This will save the project to a back up folder of your choice
 
Back
Top