• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX BGL files not showing up

Country
us-montana
I'm having an issue where my bgl files aren't showing anything in the sim.
So here's what I'm doing. I have huge data sets that I'm wanting to convert into FSX scenery. I started with my water areas. I have everything in shp files a gdb's. I used Global Mapper to convert the shp files into a kml, checked it in GE and then brought it into FSXKML and used to appropriate tags and ran the program. SHP2VEC crashes everytime I run it using FSXKML. I checked the output shp files in Global Mapper and noticed that for every feature in the file it added a vertices at 0,0. I figured this is what was crashing shp2vec so I removed them and ran just the shp file through shp2vector, and everything seemed to work correctly and the bgl was created. I fire up the sim after ensuring the bgl was in the add-on scenery and nothing was showing. I checked the bgl in TMFviewer and it displayed correctly. Not sure what I did wrong. I've done tons of scenery work using this tool but for some reason my bgl files aren't showing up in the sim. Any ideas?
Thanks

Country
spain
Take care when exporting. export the file with coordinate geographic (lat long) or something so. just what I remember. just an idea.

Country
spain
Nop. the files whatever be the format you want to export from GM. to work with Fsx. it's just an observation, sure you know this but you have to change the data to Geographic coordinates (lan long), it's something people forgot usually.

Country
us-montana
Country
spain
there is a tool to fix the kml vertices problem from google earth, prefsxkml, I think it's the name. can be downloaded from here. I can't check the fles right now, PC is out of order. so I can't help here.

Country
us-montana
I used this tool on my file and when I checked my shp files there was still vertices at 0,0 so I removed them and re-exported the shp files. It's strange because in the bgl viewer they appear to be correct but for some reason the sim isn't showing them.

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
You probably need to zip and attach an example of the shp file and KML file that you are having problems with.

Dick

Country
spain
The files look right, I guess the problem is in the exportation from FsxKml, how the files look like in FsxKml ? Maybe the kml file is the key, have you tried make them polygons ?. or what is the tag you have applied to the polygons.Maybe the file is too big I never resample a file with so many ítems, who know.
Try to reverse the vértices, FsxKml have this tricks, it's a good tool, but never know.

You just have to edit the vértices individuallly, place so many vértices as needed and assign his height to each one. you have to see the flatten as a polygon with many segments, the mesh should help, with the bare terrain you take note of the height in a regular spaced points, one thing I noticed is that the data is not very accurate, not match exactly, so it's a Little of trial and error. but work.

Last edited by a moderator: