• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

bridge taxiway over water

Country
italy
Hello, I'm try to improve the airport of Macau VMMC, which use a bridge for taxiway over water.
for testing I have design a quick possible bridge in blender and import the object in FS2020 SDK.

my plan was place the 3dObject of the bridge and try to place the taxiway path on top... but.... (see the effect in the picture...:eek:)

Now I am facing 2 issue:
1- the plane goes through my object...
2- how can I position the taxiway path or line on top of my object? is this possible in the SDK?

any idea how can proceed to build a bridge with taxiway on top?

from the picture below some of my trial:

Untitled.jpg

Country
unitedkingdom
You can make a 3d model with a surface that a plane will land and taxi on.

You can't make one that you can build on or will be recognised by any other airport function. Things like taxiways, runways, painted lines and aprons will only go on official terrain.

You would have to terraform the water to raise it and hide it inside another structure, but this never works very well. The terraforming tools are very crude and the model will twitch from a distance as the LOD changes.

Country
italy
Thanks for give me some guideline, so I'll probably go for the 3d model.
But when I try to place some 3d model of the taxiway in the scenery land or taxi on it my aircraft goes through the object.
look like there is not shape detection. how can i give to my model a a sort of shape so i can taxi or move on it?

on the following picture the plane pass through the model :eek:
Untitled.jpg

i would like to build a similar taxiway like the one in the picture below.

are there any setting in blender or in the SDK i miss in order to allow my plane detect the surface of the 3d model taxiway ?

MacauAirport2.jpg

thanks...

Country
unitedkingdom
A 3d model won't work for this. You must terraform the terrain underneath and put the model on top of it.

A taxiway or runway will only follow the terrain underneath and completely ignore the model.

Country
france
To create a real bridge . I used a 3D strcture in my VHHX scenery.
Add a "collision" directly in the material parameters
1616051870720.png

You could also create an invisible box with colision parameter.

You will have to draw a texture with taxiway line... and light because the terrain will be pushed down at the sea level

Country
italy
I found the solution using road material.. if i tried using collision material fs2020 but not detect any collision.. but for my taxiway should be enough.. let see..

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The Road is a tag technically, and it does seem to work. FakeTerrain is a material type, but doesn't seem to affect it at all. I thought double-sided might prevent fall-through but it does not. Fall-through can happen when you switch from a resting slew on an elevated 'road' to non-slew (or perhaps non-slew to slew) It seems to have something to do with the aircraft contact points. FakeTerrain is used to have the sim's lighting treat the object as terrain.

Attachments

• solid-boxes.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 59
Country
poland
You're right Dick. When doing some experimenting on this again yesterday again I found out that I remembered this incorrectly. FakeTerrain has nothing to do with a hard platform but also doesn't show exactly as surrounding terrain. Looks like there was a good intention to make this happen a long time back but it certainly doesn't look 100% like terrain and always stands out at certain daytimes.

Collision models on the other hand have the downside of a vertex limitation up to which they work. Not really a problem for a flat taxiway. It is however if you're working on something more complex (like me on ice shelves at the moment).