• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Bug in SPLITGRID Step ?

Country
france
Hi Arno,

When I try to import complex polygonal shape into Sceneproc and convert it to polyvegetation I've got some strange result...

for example:

Before (IN .shp file)

After Scenproc (OUT.shp file)

And comparaison, of artefact zones...

As you can see there are many artefact after splitgrid step (near border of area ?!) Have you an idea from whom thats come ? thx

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Do you polygons contain holes? That's currently not supported. That might cause some artifacts. If there are no holes it must be a bug.

Country
france
I think not, but I will check it. I will try to isolate one "bugged" polygon to do test on it...

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Ok, if you have some test data for me I'll have a look.

Is this with the latest release? I find it a bit suspicious that two threads about this were started at almost the same time. Hopefully I didn't introduce a new bug recently :)

Country
france
the realease I use was downloaded the 22-06-13. And I've supected this problem from 2 or 3 month ago... I will try with the last release. thx Arno

Country
poland
Hi

First screen looks like in shp file are three layers overlapping each another, so i think -it might be the problem.

Im sure there wouldnt be problem if each layer would have assigned own guid and wouldnt have overlap.

But I might be wrong :)

Michael

Country
france
Hi,

Do you polygons contain holes? That's currently not supported. That might cause some artifacts. If there are no holes it must be a bug.

It seems that you were right... At that time, I suspect that it's linked to polygons with holes in.
Unfortunately, After reading the post of Flugwerk on "shapefiles with holes", I've tried to find a freeware which can do the 'chopping' step like GlobalMapper but I did'nt find :(

Do you know another way to do it ?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I haven't seen a good freeware tool with that function either. If I can find something, I might even be able to add it to scenproc itself. Let me check if OGR has some related functionality.

Country
us-california
been having issues with SPLITGRID and IMPORTSHP with last two releases
the one before these two development release (build 442) worked, but i lost it
(anywhere i can grab this release?)

yesterday splitgrid hung for over 5 hours before i killed the task (hung as in kept going; not stuck in taskmgr)
that's after a painfully long IMPOSTSHP

i have been trying past two days to run my steps
only to get out of memory exception every time on splitgrid step
i been monitoring usage, i have plenty to spare

after hours on hours playing with the steps
i went back to the previous release

same steps, same files
IMPORTSHP completed under 1 minute

but still unable to successfully complete SPLITGRID in either form
SPLITGRID|AGN|*
SPLITGRID|AGN|FROMFILE=buildings.shp
SPLITGRID|AGN|buildings=*

Chris,

Code:
#AGN Merge Mask
#
IMPORTSHP|C:\Waterways\Water.shp|*|NOREPROJ
IMPORTSHP|C:\Waterways\Mediterenian.sea.shp|*|NOREPROJ
IMPORTSHP|C:\Buffered\Trunk_Roads.shp|*|NOREPROJ
IMPORTSHP|C:\Buffered\Primary_Roads.shp|*|NOREPROJ
IMPORTSHP|C:\Buffered\Secondary_Roads.shp|*|NOREPROJ
IMPORTSHP|C:\Buffered\Residential_Roads.shp|*|NOREPROJ
IMPORTSHP|C:\Buffered\buildings.shp|*|NOREPROJ
#
SPLITGRID|AGN|*
#
SETAGNBUILDINGHEIGHT|*|1.0;0.0;0.0;0.0
#
CREATEAGNPOLYVEG|FTYPE=POLYGON;FROMFILE=Water.shp|{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000100}
CREATEAGNPOLYVEG|FTYPE=POLYGON;FROMFILE=sea.shp|{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000100}
CREATEAGNPOLYVEG|FTYPE=POLYGON;FROMFILE=Trunk_Roads.shp|{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000100}
CREATEAGNPOLYVEG|FTYPE=POLYGON;FROMFILE=Primary_Roads.shp|{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000100}
CREATEAGNPOLYVEG|FTYPE=POLYGON;FROMFILE=Secondary_Roads.shp|{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000100}
CREATEAGNPOLYVEG|FTYPE=POLYGON;FROMFILE=Residential_Roads.shp|{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000100}
CREATEAGNGENBUILD|FTYPE=POLYGON;FROMFILE=buildings.shp;FWIDTH>20|{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}|MAXRATIO=2
CREATEAGNGENBUILD|FTYPE=POLYGON;FROMFILE=buildings.shp;FWIDTH<20|{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
#
WRITEAGNFILES|FSX|C:\Mask

Last edited:
Country
france
There is an key error:
FROMFILE=Secodary_Roads.shp

Or may be there are too much features to work together.
You can separate the process into 3 different cfg file for exemple...
-> water&Sea_Mask
-> road_Mask
-> building_Mask (not needed if you use AGN Merge Tool just Check "avoid cross over".

if you use last version of AGN Merge Tool, you can put the 3 folders into "Masque" folder and launch Convert step.

Country
us-california
TYVM Vogel, you have a good eye!
i think this happened during posting (when Arno posts the word light, i see a different letter there instead of "g")
readshp completed and generated features from the file, i confirmed
i will give your advice a go now

i run building imprints as well to generate tree's only
so i can test tree performance prior to merging with other elements

i suspected the processing was taking long time with latest build than usual
after confirming build #443 was taking only 1 minute to complete the same steps and same files
i thought it might be of importance to Arno

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I just ran a test here with one of my configurations, but I don't see any problems with split grid yet.

In a recent build there have indeed been some changes, but these should only affect line features, not areal features.

If somebody has a simple test project that reproduces the problems, please let me know and I can take a look.

Country
france
Ok I understand the Mask building :)

If it still not work yet,
- try Whithout residential road in order to have a smaller work for scenproc.
- you can try to apply in QGIS the "multi-poly to one-poly" option. Vector->Geo

I hope it will work soon ;)

Country
us-california
Thank you Vogel
i hope it will work out soon too, sent files to Arno for testing

i have little more info

i wasn't able to complete my steps, until i run each feature independently
my residential and sea poly refused to complete even as single job
they kept failing on splitgrid, until i changed to agnsplitgrid|sgn|fromfile=filename.shp

not sure what ramification of changing grids
all other steps completed with agnsplitgrid|agn|*

used build #443
i didn't test with the most recent built, since i was getting CTD's in the middle of splitgrid step with these files

Chris,

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I got the test files and will take a look.

Country
us-california
Thank you Arno

another observation
1.5GB of data seems to be the threshold for Scenproc (when processing)

Chris,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have fixed the issue with importing SHP files taking so long since a few builds. So from tomorrow that will be back to normal speed.

I had added some code to catch corrupt (self-intersecting) polygons, but that code made everything too slow. So I have removed it now. Better very few corrupt polygons than such a slow process.

I am going to check the SPLITGRID step next. Chris, the test file you send me, does that also show the SPLITGRID issues?