• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Can't get addon scenery to work

Country
australia
I have just installed P3D v4 and have downloaded some scenery from the P3D section (so I assume that it should work),
The first scenery is a remake of YSSY (Sydney Australia) and when I started up P3D and selected YSSY it didn'y look much different from the scenery I saw before I installed the new one.
In desperation I downloaded some scenery for airports which don't already exist in the default P3D scenery and I cannot locate it entered the ICAO mentioned in the readme file.
This is how I installed it
Created an ADDON SCENERY folder in the P3D root directory, Created a SCENERY and TEXTURE folder inside the ADDON SCENERY folder.
Went the SCENERY LIBRARY and selected ADD AREA then navigated to the ADDON SCENERY folder, selected it but nothing was displayed as in the installation instructions.

Where am I going wrong. I had no problems installing scenery with FSX which it seems is much the same. NOTE I am running Windows 7 and I seem to remember something different is needed when installing scenery in FSX using Windows 7.

Thanks

Country
spain
Yes, for scenery addons installations in Windows 7 and fsx there was a trick, select the folder, and when the scenery folders display, click not directly on the folder but in the Windows. I expect that with this excellent english you could understand something.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Scenery installation is VERY different from FSX for P3Dv4. It is well documented and has been discussed thoroughly, there are a LOT of archived posts on the subject. In fact, P3Dv4 scenery installation so different, I have to look up the procedure every time, just to make sure I get it right, which I recommend you do now. You could start with Google, don't intend to dictate your search terms to you, but you might try, "install scenery P3D v4." Yep, I just checked, Jim Young made a really descriptive post at Avsim.

FYI Bernardo, the trick of clicking the screen outside the scenery selection window works only for FSX.

Country
australia
Thanks Tejal
Just before I returned to my thread I found a way. I created separate folders for each scenery so now have the following folder layout
Addon Scenery
Scenery
Texture
Scenery area A
Scenery
Texture
Scenery area B
Scenery
Texture
Then when I ADD AREA and navigate to the relevant folder I then scroll down the list of folders to the very bottom where I find what appears to be 'logical folders' (for want of a better name) and select one from there.
There I found the following folders -
PRP3D Addon Scenery (note the name listed)
Scenery
Texture
Area1
Area2
I think this was the 'trick' to use instead of selecting the relevant folder from the following -
drive name
Program Files
Prepar3d v4
Addon Scenery which does NOT display the sub folders. A bit tricky I must say.

added later
Thanks RK
YES I did GOOGLE this before I posted (as I usually do) and found many hits including Youtube videos which I followed as best I could but still could not get it to work hence my thread.
I could have spent at least an hour trying this and that before 'resorting' to asking here. Often it's in the text entered to search for (wether or not you get the correct 'hits') and I never found Jim's description even though I searched Avsim.

Thanks again

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
It does not look like the procedure as I remember it. I am pretty sure you are supposed to edit XML files. You might want to try an addon manager, the procedure is fairly specific and unless you are comfortable with your deviations, the addon managers rewrite the relevant configuration files and leave everything as it should be. There are a few, I used the Lorby Perpar3d V4 Addon Organizer. It was a little hard to understand and I've since tried one that is easier to use, but I forget it's name.

Country
australia
Yes I did see something about editing XML files but thought that there must have been an easier method even though I have no worries doing such things (I used to be a computer programmer even creating executables using 'assembler' aka machine code).
Thanks for the advice on Lorby.

Btw here is a screen shot explaining where I selected the addon scenery from

p3d.jpg

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Well, I would literally read the directions, rather than just winging it. In my understanding, it is imperative you edit the configuration files.

Country
australia
Ok but I think that is rediculous (need to edit configuration files to add scenery). If that is what needs to be done then Lockheed Martin should have included an (installtion) application to do that for the user (IMHO). No it's not your fault but that sort of thing should be transparent to the user. What would users think if they had to edit configuration files for say MS Office applications?
Are there other 'things' such as addition of aircraft which need to be done via configuration files?
I have now calmed down :stirthepo

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I am thinking that MS Office is a word editing program and that Prepar3d is a flight simulator.

GHD

Country
england
Scenery installation is VERY different from FSX for P3Dv4..
No it isn't. I have all of my hundreds of scenery areas installed via the scenery library. Note they are not in the P3D tree.

Country
australia
Thanks George.
Yes MS Office is a Word Processor (not a flight simulator) BUT I just can't get my "head around" having to 'manually' edit configuration file(s) to add something (scenery) to P3D when you don't have to with FSX or XPlane. Doesn't make sense especially for a company wanting to get a market share of the flight simulator business. How many 'mums and dads' (I use that term to also include all non tech savy individuals) would have NO idea how to edit a configuration file. Once again it doesn't make much sense.

I was just wondering if Lockheed Martin only expected 3rd party scenery being distruted with an installation application as if my memory when P3D v4 installed the ADDON SCENERY FOLDER was not even created during installation as it is with FSX? Just a thought.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hello:

P3Dv4 scenery library GUI functions continue to be the same as those in FSX.

The only caveat is see in the P3Dv4 documentation is to be sure that you are logged into Windows in 'Administrator' mode (and I'm not certain that when P3Dv4 is "Run As Administrator" it is a 'sufficient work-around' for the above caveat).

For those inclined to actually RTFM: ;)

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d/world/scenery_library/scenery_library_overview.html

"Windows Administrator Privileges and the Scenery Library

You must have administrator privileges to use the Scenery Library.

If you make changes to the Scenery Library as an administrator, the scenery indexes are rebuilt automatically.

If you are not logged in to the workstation as an administrator, you won't be allowed to change scenery files."

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/sdk/add-ons/add-on_packages.html

GaryGB

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
John, I was totally mistaken and as George confirms, from the Prepar3d Learning center:

Adding Scenery Areas
If you purchase or download additional compatible scenery, it's best to use the setup program that accompanies the software to install the scenery area. There are three ways to manually add scenery that doesn't include a setup program. The method you use depends on whether or not you want to have the flexibility to manage the new scenery separately from other add-on scenery you may have installed.

The new scenery should contain two folders: Scenery and Texture. After copying the add-on scenery and texture files into the folders named .\Addon Scenery\Scenery and .\Addon Scenery\Texture, the scenery will automatically load the next time you start the application. Add-on scenery is automatically placed in a higher layer than default scenery, so that it will be visible.

If you install the files in the folders named above, the new scenery area will not show up separately in the Scenery Library; it will be included in a group scenery area called Addon Scenery. If you install a lot of add-on scenery in this manner, you won't easily be able to tell what you've installed and you won't be able to disable or delete the new scenery without disabling or deleting all add-on scenery.

If you want to have the flexibility to view the new scenery area separately in the Scenery Library and be able to manage it separately from other add-on scenery, create a separate folder for each new set of add-on scenery in the .\Addon Scenery folder.

To add a scenery area manually to the Scenery Library
  1. Copy the Scenery files for the new scenery into the .\Addon Scenery\Scenery folder.
  2. Copy the Texture files for the new scenery into the .\Addon Scenery\Texture folder.
  3. Run the simulator. The new scenery loads automatically.
    -or-
  4. In Windows Explorer, create a folder for the new scenery in the .\Addon Scenery folder.
  5. Copy the Scenery and Texture folders for the new scenery into the folder you just created.
  6. Run the simulator. The new scenery will automatically be loaded.
    -or-
  7. In Windows Explorer, create a folder for the new scenery anywhere on your hard drive.
  8. Copy the Scenery and Texture folders for the new scenery into the folder you just created.
  9. In the Scenery Library click Add area.
  10. In the Select scenery directory, select the folder containing the new scenery.
  11. In the Scenery area name text box, type the name as you want it to appear in the Scenery Area list.
  12. Select Cache this scenery or Use this scenery directly.
  13. Click OK.
http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/getting_started/the_world/scenery_library.html

Reading directions is something both Gary and I endorse. Anyway, the issue arises when you start installing other types of addons, the ones where you would edit the dll.xml or the exe.xml for FSX, those now require special management.

Country
australia
Thanks everyone.

My normal Windows login probably has adminstrator rights (I can't remember what I did during setup years ago when I installed W7 64). I assume it (login) does as I often read having to do things with 'adminstrator rights' and have never used right mouse click/select 'run as adminstrator'?

In my ignorance -
What is RTFM?
Are the docs only located online and with the SDK (software develop kit) 'stuff'. I have only ever used SDK when creating 'stuff' like scenery for FSX.

I am very appreciative of Gary 'lurking' around ever ready to help out. He is a wealth of information and/or helping people get out of 'trouble' and sometime to put on 'their thinking caps'.

I am also very appreciative of the number of FS 'enthusiasts' in Europe and USA like tyourselves. Unfortunately here in the land down under there doesn't seem to be many and I base that on the fact that any multiplayer sessions run here have 'dried up' from lack of members and also the number of obvious 'aussie pilots' I see in Europe/USA based multiplayer sessions. It also now is becoming almost impossible to find any newsagent which sells the PC PILOT magazine which also is an indicator. Sessions run in Europe/USA are difficult to get the best out of due to time zone differences.

Country
us-illinois
https://www.scenerydesign.org/2010/04/read-the-fine-manual/

Thanks everyone.

My normal Windows login probably has administrator rights (I can't remember what I did during setup years ago when I installed W7 64). I assume it (login) does as I often read having to do things with 'administrator rights' and have never used right mouse click/select 'run as administrator'?

One can create- and/or edit- a shortcut to an executable on the Properties > {Compatibility} tab ...to "'Run as Administrator'. :pushpin:

In my ignorance -
What is RTFM?
Are the docs only located online and with the SDK (software develop kit) 'stuff'. I have only ever used SDK when creating 'stuff' like scenery for FSX.

The "polite" version ...courtesy of Arno: ;)

PS: John:

You, George and probably only a few others here (including me), who have been working with DOS / Command mode syntax for many years, will likely have to explain the meaning of "." when used to refer to a folder for a new generation of P3D users who read the document cited above in the P3D learning Center (...obviously written by an older L-M "FSvNext" programmer, perhaps 'inherited' from ACES):

"The new scenery should contain two folders: Scenery and Texture. After copying the add-on scenery and texture files into the folders named .\Addon Scenery\Scenery and .\Addon Scenery\Texture, the scenery will automatically load the next time you start the application. Add-on scenery is automatically placed in a higher layer than default scenery, so that it will be visible." :rotfl:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
Gary

Your memory (viz Arno's post way back in 2010) astonishes me).

Also I had forgotten about using the 'period' ("."). Oh how I miss DOS :banghead:

John

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I have this really cool feature in my browser. I can highlight a word or phrase and then right click the area, to get a "Search Google for (word)."

RTFM is used to express frustration at someone who asks questions to which the answers can be easily sought from another source. Also bowdlerized as read the fine manual or read the friendly manual.
RTFM - Wiktionary
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/RTFM

Let's do "bowdlerized," shall we?

bowd·ler·ize
ˈbōdləˌrīz,ˈboudləˌrīz/
verb
past tense: bowdlerized; past participle: bowdlerized
  1. remove material that is considered improper or offensive from (a text or account), especially with the result that it becomes weaker or less effective.
    "a bowdlerized version of the story"
    synonyms:expurgate, censor, blue-pencil, cut, edit; More

So fun!

GHD

Country
england
O After copying the add-on scenery and texture files into the folders named .\Addon Scenery\Scenery and .\Addon Scenery\Texture, the scenery will automatically load the next time you start the application. Add-on scenery is automatically placed in a higher layer than default scenery, so that it will be visible." :rotfl:
BUT. there is no Addon Scenery directory in a newly installed P3D-V4:

Code:
Directory of G:\P3D-V4

19/05/2018  10:05    <DIR>          .
19/05/2018  10:05    <DIR>          ..
11/05/2018  17:35    <DIR>          Autogen
01/05/2018  01:50    <DIR>          Ecosystem
17/05/2018  16:25    <DIR>          Effects
01/05/2018  01:50    <DIR>          Fonts
01/05/2018  01:50    <DIR>          gauges
01/05/2018  01:49    <DIR>          licenses
02/05/2018  09:30    <DIR>          Modules