• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Cleanup: Removed Empty Model Part When Importing

I have a kmz file that I'm trying to import into MCX. But it doesn't import anything and says it removed some 8,000 triangles and removed empty model parts. Why is it doing that? Nothing in google turns up this problem as well as searching here. When I double click the kmz file, the model shows up in google earth just fine, but it takes about a half a minute to load. I can import it back into Sketchup and it loads just fine. I tried to attached a zipped file but it still says that the file is too large. By the way, this file was created in version 8.0 of Sketchup a few years ago. I don't understand what's happening here and why all of a sudden it's doing this, and I've used the file before.

Ken.

Hello.... MCX has always removed unnecessary triangles, but 8000 of them, I haven't heard of. How many triangles does.the model have to start with? The triangles that are removed are usually very small.

Last edited:
You can use OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, or any number of cloud file storage websites and link the zipped file here.

Hello.... MCX has always removed unnecessary triangles, but 8000 of them, I haven't heard of. How many triangles does.the model have to start with? The triangles that are removed are usually very small.

Hi Doug,

I'm not able to get that from the Object Information because the model will not load. Here's a list of what's shown after MCX finishes trying to load the model:

Code:
12:28 KmzReader:  Starting reading of file C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\Baptist Montclair Hospital\Baptist Montclair Hospital.kmz

12:28 PM    AssimpReader:  Starting reading of file C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\SceneryDesign.org\ModelConverterX_11932\models/untitled.dae

12:28 PM    AssimpReader:  Finished reading objects

12:29 PM    AssimpReader:  Cleaning object: untitled

12:29 PM    AssimpReader:  Removed 191 triangles with small area

12:29 PM    KmzReader:  Finished reading objects

12:29 PM    KmzReader:  Cleaning object: Baptist Montclair Hospital

12:29 PM    KmzReader:  Removed 8641 triangles with small area

The rest of the long list reads:

12:29 PM    KmzReader:  Cleanup: Removed empty model part

Ken.

You can use OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, or any number of cloud file storage websites and link the zipped file here.

Hi Dick,

Yes, that's what I'm going to do. It was late last night when I made my post and I have to check my login and password information first, since it's been a while since I've used it. I'll try to post that link here shortly, or sometime today. That is, if I can still remember how to do this.

Ken.

Hi,

There's one thing I forgot to mention. For a few years now, I've noticed that Sketchup 8.0 has had some problems in the way objects and textures are displayed. It looks as though it's washed out, so to speak, and whenever I use the selection tool to select an object, for example, it shows a bunch of white streaking lines as I'm moving the mouse around the object to select it. The textures do not show their true deep colors as they once did. It still does the same thing even after re-installing it. I think it has something to do with the changes that has been made in video graphics drivers a few years ago because it has never done this until those changes were made. But in later versions of Sketchup such as 16 and 17, there's no problem. For those of you who are using Sketchup 8.0, are you having any wired display effects? What I mean by that is that the textures and objects look too bright and washed out.

Anyway, what I have done since this is the case, is to import that skectup file that was created in 8.0 into version Sketchup 17 and saved it in a new name. After importing the file, the textures and everything looks just fine. After doing this, I import the file into MCX and the model would load. But there would be no textures in the model. I've tried everything to get those textures to show in the model but it never works. I once used this file and installed it into FS, but now all of a sudden, nothing works right and nothing was changed, other than upgrading to Windows 10. When I created the file, I was using Windows 7. I thought I would bring this up because I didn't know if that might be related to the problem I'm having.

Ken.

Last edited:
If you export as OBJ from sketchup, you should be able to rotate it if needed (transform) in MCX.

Untitled.png

You'll have some work to do converting textures as a format any of the sims can use. And the model is a monster with all the textures and materials, and the resulting drawcalls.

Last edited:
If you export as OBJ from sketchup, you should be able to rotate it if needed (transform) in MCX.

View attachment 81112

You'll have some work to do converting textures as a format any of the sims can use. And the model is a monster with all the textures and materials, and the resulting drawcalls.

Hi Dick,

This will not work for me for 2 reasons. One is that the textures are warped or stripped out. Here's an image of what my textures looked like:

Baptist Montclair.jpg

Every time I try to import this file, which is the exact same thing I've linked here, nothing works right. But the same file appears to work fine on yours. I wonder if I need to download a fresh copy of Sketchup 8.0. What version of Sketchup are you using? Are you using Windows 10 and the latest graphics driver? So why are my textures being warped and stripped? It looks fine on yours from what I can see? The other reason this won't work for me is because I don't know how to use the Transform to be able to rotate the model. I've never knew about it or used it before.

Ken.

There is no Option button when I Export the object. Your version of Sketcup looks like the pro version but what version of Sketchup are you using? I saved this Sketchup file so that I can re-install the model in future dates and I don't understand what has happen to it when nothing has been changed in the file.

Ken.
I believe you are mistaken, all SketchUp versions have the "option" button at the bottom right-hand side. The only thing you may not have is the OBJ add-on, which can be used in SketchUp 8 and up to SketchUp 17 (just tested here). Here is the ruby script: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsM-lqBFx9Gpth8GhIdKyEfuzPEj?e=Vsokn6 You do not need the PRO version of SketchUp to use it. This version of the ruby script can be reached through the 'File' tab within SketchUp.

If you need assistance in installing, PM.

I believe you are mistaken, all SketchUp versions have the "option" button at the bottom right-hand side. The only thing you may not have is the OBJ add-on, which can be used in SketchUp 8 and up to SketchUp 17 (just tested here). Here is the ruby script: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsM-lqBFx9Gpth8GhIdKyEfuzPEj?e=Vsokn6 You do not need the PRO version of SketchUp to use it. This version of the ruby script can be reached through the 'File' tab within SketchUp.

If you need assistance in installing, PM.

Hi Doug,

I've already have that file installed. I removed the files I had, which included an object exporter rb file, and replaced them with just the rbz you linked and the object exporter menu no longer shows up in Sketchup 8.0. The thing I've noticed is that there is a rbz and also an rb file in my plugin folder. So I replaced the rb file back into the plugin folder and the object exporter menu now shows up. From what I see, it looks like both files have to be placed in the plugin folder. I did went ahead and replaced the file you linked with the one I had. There is still no Option button in that menu. Here's the screen shot:

Object Exporter.jpg

I place the files into the Plugin Folder, and I assume that's where they go.

Ken.

Last edited:
That's the Save dialog box (File/Save). You need the File/Export/3D Model menu.

That's the Save dialog box (File/Save). You need the File/Export/3D Model menu.

Yes, but does that have anything to do, or effect the OBJexport menu Option found under the File menu in Sketchup? Yes, using the File/Export/3D Model has the Option button, and it says 'Export Model.' But when you use the OBJexport menu, it says 'OBJ Export' but there's no Option button. I'm thinking it's because of the Pro version that Dick is using and I don't have the Pro version. If this works in the Standard or make version of Sketchup 8.0, I need to be given every step I need to take. But I don't know if that will make any difference because I think my model is all broken up and I'm getting the Bug Splat screen and and all kinds of warnings. Every time I export this model from Sketchup 8.0 and import it into MCX, the model does not even show up in preview. There's nothing there. But when I export from Sketchup 2017 into MCX, the model shows up but most of the textures are missing. I think the model is all messed up and I guess I'll have to create a new one, this time in Sketchup 2017.

Ken.

Last edited:
Sorry, yes you are correct. The Pro version allows you to export an OBJ file using the File/Export/3D Model dialog, which includes an Options button. You are using an addon script which does not.

Back