• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Colors Are Not Correct When Applying 24 Bit BMP Textures

I'm following a tutorial "Building in Gmax" from Godzone Virtual Flight by Zen Cart. In applying textures, I'm using the bmp format for textures, and was recommended by the tutorial. When I select my bitmap in the Select Image File window, I notice, even in the preview, that the colors in that texture is wrong. Here's what it looks like:

Texture.jpg

This is NOT the actual or real color of this building. Here's what it should look like in the image below:

Texture 2.jpg

Why is it that every time I apply a bmp file type texture, either the colors are wrong, or if I apply a 32 bit bmp, I get the "this bmp file is not supported" message? If I apply a tiff file type texture, I don't have that problem. But the point is that it should not be doing this when I apply a bmp texture, even if they're 32 bit. The textures for Flight Simulator are 32 bit, not 24. So if developers are producing 32 bit textures for FS, apparently, they're using 32 bit formats when texturing. I wondered if the problem could be because the file is a 24 bit rather than 32. So, I converted the file to a 32 bit. When I apply the 32 bit bmp texture, that's when I get the warning that this bmp file is unsupported. So, either there is more than one type of bmp or there's a setting in either Gmax or Gimp that I need to look into. I don't understand why Gmax cannot support a 32 bit image when they're used in FS. So it doesn't make sense to me. I'm using a 24 bit file and wondered if that could be the reason for the wrong color.

Ken.

Last edited:
Bit depth, as a technical measurement, describes the number of color values per channel - Red, Green, and Blue. When a camera shoots 8-bit, it is recording 2^8 unique colors per channel, which adds up to 256 total. 256 shades of green, 256 shades of blue, and 256 shades of red, all mixed up together to form an image.

The difference between the two images is beyond the consequence of bit depth reduction. The colored areas have been inverted, which is to be replaced with the chromatic opposite, while the black or white areas remain unchanged. Ultimately, the two images are not alternative bit depth representations of the same image, they are chromatically edited versions of the same image. The implication is that either the source files, or the tutorial is incorrect, or that you have not correctly followed the tutorial.

It looks to me like your 24 bit BMP file is not in the correct format for GMAX to read it. Perhaps you could attach one zipped image you are having trouble with? (make it a small one).

GMAX does NOT support 32 bit BMP files. GMAX was not developed for FS, it was adapted for it's use and you must accept its limitations. I create two versions of my BMP file - a 32 bit version I use in FS and a 24 bit version that is used in GMAX.

It looks to me like your 24 bit BMP file is not in the correct format for GMAX to read it. Perhaps you could attach one zipped image you are having trouble with? (make it a small one).

It's probably not. In the tutorial, he shows an image of the texture sheet but he says to save that image and convert it to bmp for use in Gmax. Here's the website:

As far as I know, I converted the image correctly, and I converted it in Gimp. I opened the image in Gimp and exported it as a bmp. Rick mentioned that the source file my not be correct but I have had problems with other bmp colors as well. I've attached the zip file below.

GMAX does NOT support 32 bit BMP files. GMAX was not developed for FS, it was adapted for it's use and you must accept its limitations. I create two versions of my BMP file - a 32 bit version I use in FS and a 24 bit version that is used in GMAX.

So, this means I need to remember to convert any 32 bit bmp file before importing it into Gmax. But when you export the textures for use in FS, are you saying that you have to convert them back to 32 bit bmps?

Ken.

Attachments

• Texture.zip
    292.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Hi Gary,

He did not explain how to convert it, so what I did is that I saved that image that's in the tutorial, opened it in Gimp and exported it as a BMP. I read the caveats and the only thing I didn't do was to check the box, "Do not write color space information." The "Run Length Encoded" was grayed out and could not access it, but it was not checked anyway, so no problem there. And I did select the 24 bit R8, G8, B8. In Gimp, I selected the Windows BMP image. So, I need to check - "Do not write color space information."

NOTE: SDK ImageTool is the "Gold Standard" for all texture images to be used in FS; MCX uses that utility for conversions.

See: http://windowlight.co.nz/store/index.php?main_page=page&id=23&chapter=1

Yes, I read over that and found that. This is a pretty good tutorial.

While we're on this subject regarding Photoshop and Gimp, I've been looking over their plans, which they have 3 or 4 different plans. I don't know if you use Photoshop but I was wondering if the $9.95 plan would do everything I need it to do for my projects, including blend masks, ground texturing, satellite images, and all the things I need it to do for my projects.

Ken.

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes, your BMP is in an odd format - it includes color space information. I opened in GIMP, loaded your image, Used Export, chose BMP (Windows BMP Image), in Compatibility Options I checked Do Not Write Color Space Information, and Exported it. It displays fine in GMAX. Make sure to press the Reload button in the GMAX material's box (Maps section) to get the updated image.

Hope this helps,

Thanks Tom and Gary,

That's exactly what it was. I didn't bring it up but I've wondered if that could have been the problem.

Ken.

Back