Compile errors on surfaces

Hello,
Further to our earlier e-mails:
I now found out what is going wrong. In my operational airport I have parkings and taxilinks. When trying to compiule the errorlistings always speak about surface 122.
Now looking at the list of parkings aand parkinglinks is see quite a lot of entries with 2122 and others have all kinds of different surcaces, snow, concrete, grass etc. Although not visible in practice.
Then I try to group-edit all entries and give it e.g. all the same surface names (I tried several ones, grass, concrete, tarmac,) then in all cases the compliter comes into error, butr the funny thing then is, that when I look again at the list of parkings and parkinglinks, all changess that I made have been restored too 122 and the others.
I have ADE P5 v01.79.7412 and W10 and Prepar3D V5.01

Also during all this testing the old error of the altitude of the runway several meters above surface, I still do have the xml with the corrected altitude, but I cannot compile it. This xml is attached, if you can compile this for me and send the bgl to me I would be gratefull. As xml is not allowed, I changed the extension inti .txt

.Hoping I have been clear enough to explain the problem. As long as this is not solved I also cannot edit other things in my airport as well, like adding objects.

Attachments

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Where did this XML come from? Do you have the project file please?

OK. I finally managed to get it to save and compile. First load it into ADE. Then go to settings > options > general and make sure Auto set Link surfaces is not checked

1589365454691.png

Now go to Lists > Taxi Links and sort the list by surface. Select all those with a surface of 122 and click Enter. Change the surface to something valid and Click Done

1589365615906.png

Now find and select the apron that forms the main runway suface. Hit Enter and Enter again to fix the surface

1589365768150.png

The project should now compile. Save it as a new project and go from there

Last edited:
Jon,
This XML was made by you (or collegue) a few weeks ago as answer to my first question. I also have the AD4 file of it. At this m,oment it will not compile either.
Now I'll start to work on your suggestions an will report how it works.

Attachments

Hello Jon,
After making your suggested corrections ADE could compile the airport. At first I had made changed in the definitions of the surface as still the bricks were displayed in stead of steel mats. I changed everything in DIRT. That worked fine.
However, my runway is still several meters above the surface. I also now made an xml-file of the airport as suggested to be able to alter the altitude. I am sorry to say but I really cannot find the good spot to alter it and I do also not know into what.
Can you please help me out? I'll attach my current bgl and xml
Looking forward to your answer,
with kind regards,
Piet de Geus

Attachments

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I would really like to see the project file .ad4 extension

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I am trying to work out what the triangular piece is under the runway end - I can't select it. I can't recall if you have a prokey but that makes it easy to change the runway altitude. I changed to to match the airport reference altitude.

1589468750237.png

This puts your runway at the right level but there is no airport flatten so it comes and goes in the scenery.

1589469209063.png

Jon,
Now I applied according to your example the altitude of 5.999M to the runway via the xml. Also I added an apron around the whole area, surface unknown and transparent. Everything is now OK, except the taxiways and parkings, they have become trenches of about the same depth as the altitude was wrong before. ?????????????????????
bandicam 2020-05-15 14-53-16-346.jpg

Attachments

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I don't think you should be using an apron. The usual method is to use a land class Airport Background Flatten

1589554723412.png

I did this and also made the apron visible to check things are flat

1589554634481.png

As I expected the taxi links are no in a trench

Jon,
I now also added an apron. The trenches are gone. I remarked that with some surfacedefinitions the erroneous altitude came back (e.g. grass) but I found one that gives a correct image. This one is gravel.
Thanks a lot for your efforts, It was a learning process for me. I'll keep this working version
bandicam 2020-05-15 20-31-26-371.jpg

Jon,
Would it be of general help to test all types of surface for my runway to see which ones are O.K. and which ones cause that altitudeproblem.
Also I would like to know how I can have the original background as seen in NL2000 in stead of the apron and have only visible surfaces for parkings, runway and taxiways. Not having the apron caused the altitudeproblem and the trenches. Do you have suggestions for it, taking all other experiments on my problems into account?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Surfaces won't affect runway altitude. Always make sure you have added a suitable Airport Background Flatten to your work. Do not rely on the stock airport background (assuming there is a stock airport) or aprons. If you created and airport that is not in sim then add a background. This might help