Compile problem with AIFP

Hello everyone. Need some help, I noticed every time when I compile traffic files with AIFP its not showing in flight simulator. I used TTools.exe to see my traffics in FSX. Unfortunately TTools can not compile new multiweek flight plans. I have no choice but to use AIFP compile option but then traffic not appeares in FSX. I use FSX-SE and regular FSX on my laptop. Both have same problem. Thanks ahead for any response and suggestions.

Well... FSX has been deleted from my system since october 2014, but see following questions...

Depending of the version of your "regular FSX", you might have a SDK, possibly containing the Traffic Toolbox thingie. When yes, install it into your FSX.
I do not use Steam at all, so can not tell about it.

Does your AIFP main window show the correct simulator TARGET VERSION?

When you are creating a flightplan, do you validate it (select Flight Plans, then validate)?
If the file validates, then there is normally no mistake into the flightplan itself, all necessary components (airports, aircrafts) are there.

To which directory are you compiling the traffic file, or move the compiled .bgl file?
Should be something like FSX\Scenery\World\scenery\...

How do you check how the AI traffic displays into your simulator? Check that your aircraft is at the right airport at the right time of the day (local time, or UTC?) to see a departing, or arriving AI flight.

Do the airports you are using into your flight plan contain appropriate, and sufficient, parking spots for your AI traffic?
No parking place = no place from which an AI flight can start, or when arriving, the aircraft lands, but then disappears as there is no place it can go to park.

The above being checked, will certainly allow the techies and gurus to provide useful suggestions or advices...

Blue skies

gadgets

Resource contributor
As Phil noted above, you can compile (or copy the compiled file) to FSX\Scenery\World Scenery. Or, you can compile/save to any active scenery folder.
But, devil4ever, based on you initial report and your apparent comfort wit6h TTools.exe, I suspect the cause in the of the missing traffic in your case is a compiled-for-FS9 traffic file within the purview of FSX. When FSX encounters a FS9 traffic file, that traffic will be displayed but none of the traffic in any compiled-for-FSX traffic files will be.

Do a scan for FS9 traffic files (AIFP's Bulk Traffic menu; Find FS9 traffic files.) If you find any, delete them and recompile their traffic for FSX. The FS9 traffic file format cannot handle multi-week FPs so your only option is to recompile any FS9 files for FSX.

Don

My problem with AIFP for FSX and compiling AI flightplan files is...
First of all I don't see no real tutorial at all in the sogtware packet of AIFP, but OK, I can compose a Ttools-like txt-file of the AI flight, but them I'm stuck. How to compile that txt-file to a bgl-file ready to put it in the scenery folder of FSX.
Is there somebody who can explain me how to compile, or can he indicate me where I cab find a decent tutorial telling step after step how to proveed with AIFP for FSX...
GreetJive1 - Belgium

gadgets

Resource contributor
Jive 1, there is a button labeled "Compile" near the bottom of AIFP's main panel. It's use should be self-explanatory, If not, you'll find detailed instructions on its use on Page 11 of the AIFP User Manual.

Don

Thank you Don,
O did not see that, because the vharacters are too light....
Is there a more extensive tutorial somwhere, telling step by step, how to start and terminate paling flightplans for FSX with AIFP?
The present yutorial is overloaded with tekst and it is nog really clearly telling how and what to do ….
Greetz
Jive1 - Belgium

gadgets

Resource contributor
I am not aware of a more extensive tutorial on the matter. I anyone else knows of a tutorial, please "jump in".

Don

tgibson

Resource contributor
This one uses AIFP 2 with a slightly similar interface, but most of it is probably still useful:

Hey!
I'm sorry, I don't know how to start making a new AI flightplan.... I was up to now used to work with Ttools, and filling out all details was very easy...
Here with the AIFP nothing is similar to Ttools, it is totally different working procedure, and I don't kreally know how to start....
Is it possible to just write manually a ttools-like tst-line with all necessary data and then compile it to a Traffic.bgl file? How would such a txt-line look like and how could one then compile?
Greetz
Jive1

Hi Jive1,

when I was a lot younger than I'm today, I learned once the following saying from older people: You only learn swimming when you jump into the cold water!

If you keep to this aphorism, you will gain a lot of experience in your life!:wave:

@Jive1

You can go to this page and download the User Manual to get useful information on the software as well as various steps to use it.
An other trick for instance is first to decompile the "trafficAircraft.bgl". You can then use the generated Aircraft.txt and Airports.txt as base to build your own flightplans.
If I still have some active neurones, AIFP will somewhere during the process ask you if you want to delete the unused entries (aircrafts, airports, etc...)

Sorry if I just provide short information, but have not been working with AIFP those last times, and am probably having a "senior moment"

Anyway, get used to this software, it is a littel jewel!

Blue skies

Philippe

gadgets

Resource contributor
A TTools flight plan file comprises 3 files: FlightPlansxxx.txt, Aircraftxxx.txt and Airportsxxx.txt. In the AIFP manual, this is referred to as a "fileset". If you prefer, create a "fileset" with TTools and load that fileset into AIFP (first item in the Files menu.) Specify the path where you want the traffic file saved in the "Compiled file path" text box and click the Compile button. You can specify specific compile parameters or you can accept AIFP's defaults.

For further detail, please refer to Chapter 4 of the user manual, LOADING AND INSTALLING FLIGHT PLANS.

tgibson

Resource contributor
How to make a brand new flight plan using AIFP3.

1. Open AIFP3.
2. Aircraft menu - either use Add Single Aircraft to List or Bulk-Add Aircraft to List.
For an example, we'll add a single aircraft.
a. Aircraft/Add Single Aircraft
b. Click the Title button.
c. Close warning box(es) using red X.
d. Click desired plane to select it.
e. Click Use Selected.
f. Click Add To/Update Aircraft List.
Repeat b through f if needed. Once you have all the aircraft you want listed Click the red X on the Aircraft Editor.
3. Click the first plane you want to use in the flight plan to select it.
4. Click Start New FP button at lower left.
5. Click the Frequency desired - we'll use 24 hrs for simplicity.
6. Enter Activity Level, FN/Reg (flight number or reg number called out), Flight No., From (use FS ICAO code), Dept. Time, To, ETA Override (if desired), and FL (flight level)
7. Once everything is entered, the Save Edits button will become active. Click it.
8. Click Add Leg. Repeat steps 5-7 for the next leg. If the Save Edits button does not light up, click the proper FN/Reg button again.
9. Once you have added all the legs for this plane and you are back at the original departure airport within the frequency time, click Add FP to List.
10. If you need another flight plan added, click Start New FP. If not, close the Flight Plan Editor with the red X.
11. Files/Save File Set As, browse to your desired location and save the text files with a logical name. It should be Flightplans_xxx.txt, where xxx is the logical name.
12. Press the Compile button. Your BGL file will be compiled to the Scenery/World/scenery folder by default. It will be named Traffic_xxx.txt, where xxx is the name you chose above.

Done!

Hope this helps,