• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Create3DBuilding

Country
newzealand
Hi Arno,
Is there an equivalent to this? I have a bunch of footprints that I'd like to turn into models to import them into 3ds max. If I can get it as a bgl then I can go from there.

Cheers,
Nick

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

There is an experimental step that does this, but the result is not always stable yet and no texture mappings for now. But it might be enough for what you want.

After you run the step you need to use ExportBGL to save the result.

Kelvin Richardson

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Hi Arno,

I am trialing CREATE3DBUILDING step and I get the error Failed to locate modeldef.xml (I have this file but where is it supposed to be, the options do not specifically mention this. Below is the log, (I have shortened the log to remove repetition, hopefully this is enough).

1:07 PM IMPORTOGR Information Reading file D:\2016\commtest2.shp
1:07 PM IMPORTOGR Information Read 1165 features from file
1:07 PM CREATE3DBUILDING Information Creating 3D buildings...
1:07 PM CREATE3DBUILDING Information Created 1165 buildings
1:07 PM EXPORTBGL Information Exporting with basename MODEL to folder C:\Users\Kelvin\Desktop\test
1:07 PM BGLXWriter Information Starting writing of file C:\Users\Kelvin\Desktop\test\MODEL_0.bgl
1:07 PM MDLXWriter Error Failed to locate ModelDef.xml, please update the path in the options
1:08 PM MDLXWriter Error Failed to locate ModelDef.xml, please update the path in the options
1:08 PM XMLWriter Information Starting writing of file C:\Users\Kelvin\Desktop\test\MODEL_0.xml
1:08 PM XMLWriter Information Finished writing of file C:\Users\Kelvin\Desktop\test\MODEL_0.xml
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information Parsing document: MODEL_0.xml
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2014: Failed to load model data in file: C:\Users\Kelvin\Desktop\test\MODEL_0_0.mdl
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2149: Failed to load model data! Does the file exist?
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2340: Failed to finalize MODEL_DATA!
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2032: XML Parse Error! Element tree follows:
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information ERROR: <FSData
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information ERROR: version = 9.0
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information ERROR: >
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information ERROR: <ModelData
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information ERROR: sourceFile = C:\Users\Kelvin\Desktop\test\MODEL_0_0.mdl
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information ERROR:
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2024: Failed to process closing element tag <ModelData> near line 4!
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2014: Failed to load model data in file: C:\Users\Kelvin\Desktop\test\MODEL_0_1.mdl
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2149: Failed to load model data! Does the file exist?
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2340: Failed to finalize MODEL_DATA!
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2032: XML Parse Error! Element tree follows:
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information ERROR: <FSData
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information ERROR: version = 9.0
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information ERROR: <ModelData
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information ERROR: sourceFile = C:\Users\Kelvin\Desktop\test\MODEL_0_1.mdl
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information ERROR:
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2024: Failed to process closing element tag <ModelData> near line 6!
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2014: Failed to load model data in file: C:\Users\Kelvin\Desktop\test\MODEL_0_2.mdl
1:08 PM BGLCommp Information Parse complete!
1:08 PM BGLXWriter Information Finished writing of file C:\Users\Kelvin\Desktop\test\MODEL_0.bgl
1:08 PM SceneryProcessor Information scenProc finished processing
1:08 PM SceneryProcessor Information 0.04 seconds for IMPORTOGR
1:08 PM SceneryProcessor Information 5.20 seconds for CREATE3DBUILDING
1:08 PM SceneryProcessor Information 7.15 seconds for EXPORTBGL
1:08 PM SceneryProcessor Information 12.40 seconds total

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I probably need to expand the options a bit to add XtoDML and the modeldef.xml path. I think now it will only work if you SDK is installed and in the registry correctly. It seems in your case the modeldef.xml was not automatically found. There is no fixed location for it, but to export the SDK needs to be found.

Kelvin Richardson

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
I have prepar3d 3.3 sdk installed already, can you suggest what I can do to resolve this?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Kelvin,

It seems XtoMDL is found, so that means the SDK was also located. Maybe the default search path I use for the modeldef.xml file has changed for the P3D v3 SDK, let me check that.

Kelvin Richardson

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Hi Kelvin,

It seems XtoMDL is found, so that means the SDK was also located. Maybe the default search path I use for the modeldef.xml file has changed for the P3D v3 SDK, let me check that.
Update: I thought I would install both p3d sdk 3.2 and fsx sdk but neither gave me any good result.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I found a typo in my code, which resulted in the wrong path for the P3D v2/v3 SDK. I'll push a new build for that tonight.

But with the FSX SDK installed correctly (or the P3D v1.4 SDK) I would expect that it should work out of the box. I'll double check when I get home tonight.

Kelvin Richardson

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Ah great. Nice catch. Looking forward to this working. Have some new ideas to try out.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It was build automatically last night, so it's available now. Let me know if that fixes it.

Kelvin Richardson

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Awesome thanks for your efforts. You're providing so much to the community with your product

Kelvin Richardson

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Ok so just tried but seems as though the experimental steps tickbox will not stay saved, it keeps unticking itself along with the use uppercase names tickbox .

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Sounds like a bug as well, I'll check.

Kelvin Richardson

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Hi Arno,

Thanks for the latest version that addresses the CREATE3DBUILDING.

I have a couple of requests, hoping they are not too complicated.

For this step it would be really convenient to have a height range where Scenproc randomizes the height of buildings given a range i.e 10:70 = 10 metres to 70 metres.

I understand this is not a huge priority for you but would love to see this down the track.

Cheers,

Kelvin

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Maybe it makes more sense to read the elevation from an attribute? I think that gives more flexibility. But else a random value between the given values is easy enough to add, I do something similar in the PlacePointsAlongLine step.

In the AddAttribute step random values can be set for attributes as well.

Kelvin Richardson

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
...but I like the idea of reading from height attributes as I have shapefiles with these attributes. This would make the output even more precise.