FS2004 CYQR Regina

Looks great, really nice modeling!!

GMAX is still a fantastic tool

I remember watching Amazing Race Canada, and this town featured in it for one of the tasks, as an foreigner (Australian) I recall being astonished at the pronunciation of the city name by the contestants, I had to google it to make sure it wasn't really a town called Vagina :yikes:

I don't mean to get off topic here but I can not resist responding to Tim's comments. When the Rolling Stones performed in Regina a few years ago Mick Jagger commented that Regina is the city in Canada that rhymes with fun!

Ok, I'm about to quit making scenery. I look at my stuff with great pride when I'm done with one...then I come across pictures like yours and well, I don't even know how to describe the feelings :( For my defense, I work from no documentation, only pics from Internet and GoogleEarth. As someone else said, here in the U.S. you hang around too long around an airport with a camera in hand and you end up in Gitmo. :yikes:

Grass, did you say grass? OMG, I would be happy just to learn how to use imagery.
You stated, "I'm still no pro..." lemme think...right, I think you are SUPER pro.
Man this is the most awesome scenery I have ever seen, congratulation "hey"!

Thanks Frenchie. You really made my day! Really, I'm no pro and most of what I do know I learned on this site. I've tried to do something new with every scenery I've made and it is all coming together now. It has been a progression for sure.

Thanks again for your kind remarks.

Cheers,
Greg

This is just awesome!! Don't let it be a Freeware anymore! All your time you invested in it, all your skill you invested in, do it as a payware when you release your scenery... probably in cooperation with flytampa or so... it looks verry beautifull!! Can't wait for this scenery to be released... give it a hint! Think about it!

Btw. please post some Pictures from the air on the current state of work... would love to see an overview from above!

Thank you a lot!

This is just awesome!! Don't let it be a Freeware anymore! All your time you invested in it, all your skill you invested in, do it as a payware when you release your scenery... probably in cooperation with flytampa or so... it looks verry beautifull!! Can't wait for this scenery to be released... give it a hint! Think about it!

Btw. please post some Pictures from the air on the current state of work... would love to see an overview from above!

Thank you a lot!
money, money, money,

no wonder if I regard your flag...
:D

Now come the questions:
That grass, is that make out of polygons? Does it hit the frame rate badly? Homemade textures or you got them from some site?
Anything you had liked to share would certainly better our day.
Thanks

Now come the questions:
That grass, is that make out of polygons? Does it hit the frame rate badly? Homemade textures or you got them from some site?
Anything you had liked to share would certainly better our day.
Thanks
  1. A good base of higher resolution textures along the runway, taxiway and ramps is required to be placed on top of the photo aerial airport image. In some areas my base is meant to give the appearance of clumps of grass and in other areas pebbles, particularly where grass has grown through the gravel borders to taxiways. This base helps to provide the grass with the illusion of depth. The base is a applied like the aerial imagery using the FS2002 terrain method. You can see this base in some of the screens I have posted earlier on this thread.
  2. The “3D” grass textures are matched to the base textures so they nicely blend together. This is very important.
  3. The grass is a simple plane made in gmax with a double-sided material for the texture. The blades of grass are achieved by adding an alpha channel to the grass textures.
  4. A number of planes are put together and cross-hatched to create a grass pattern model, which is then exported from gmax as a FS2004 mdl.
  5. Arno’s MDL tweaker is then used to set conditions to the model. The model is only visible between 0 and 500m. I find this a suitable distance to prevent one being distracted by the model popping in and out of view as you taxi along. This is one of the reasons why it is very important to blend your grass textures with your base colours. The blending helps to hide the division between the base textures and grass model at a distance and helps to disguise the popping in and out of the models. This condition also means a limited number of the models are ever present, helping to keep frame rates down.
  6. MDL tweaker is also used to change the lighting conditions so that the model does not have a shady and sunny side. This is also very important because of the model is a series of cross-hatched planes and you don’t want the distraction of some planes being dark and some bright. You want consistency.
  7. The model is relatively small because of the necessity to have them pop in and out of view to preserve frame rates. The down side is that for an airport the size of YQR it means placing hundreds and hundreds of models along the taxiways and aprons by hand, which is tedious and time consuming. If I had one large model then the whole thing would be in view and that would likely take a hit on frames.
  8. Because of this method there is no noticeable frame rate drop as far as I am concerned. The grass bgl, however, will be easily identified so anyone can get rid of the grass if they don’t like it. By the way, I have a fall version of the grass as well.
  9. I did not put the grass along the whole length of the runways because you don’t really need to see that detail when you are travelling at 90 or 100 knots. It is along the areas you’d be taxing along or entering the runway.
  10. Here is the downside. If you are up high enough (say, in a very large airliner cockpit like a 747) you will notice the cross-hatching of the grass so it is not perfect. Even at that, if you are moving it looks okay to my eye. But I see that in commercial sceneries too so I don’t feel that bad about it! With the 500m condition you won't see this of course flying over the field above that height.
So, that is my method of making this grass. It took a lot of trial and error and that is one of the reasons it is taking me so long to do this scenery!

Frenchie, is that helpful to you?

Greg

Thank you a lot!
Thanks Air Basil. It will be freeware although maybe I will ask for a donation to cover the cost of the aerial imagery, which cost me $250!! Really though, this is my hobby and if you guys like it that is satisfaction enough for me. I really appreciate your kind comments but my work isn't near the quality of Flytampa and others, which I still marvel at when I fly their airports. Thanks though, for those kind remarks.

I really can't give you an estimate on when I might get it finished. I think the airport is about 75% done now. I can give you an idea of my work plan, which might help. Right now I am working on some of the infield navigation shacks and radio towers, then it will be the taxiway and runway edge lighting. I still want to add more ramp details and vehicles of course to liven up the airport. Winter is coming here and I want to fool around trying to make some snow banks. Then there are all the commercial buildings at the airport to model and the surrounding city areas. And, there is a major roadway along the end of runway 31 so I'd like to add some animated traffic. So, lots of work to go.... This might well be the last airport I do so I want to put as much into it as I can!

I will try to get you an aerial view of the current state of work on the weekend.

Thanks again for your interest.

Cheers,

Greg

I really can't give you an estimate on when I might get it finished. I think the airport is about 75% done now. I can give you an idea of my work plan, which might help. Right now I am working on some of the infield navigation shacks and radio towers, then it will be the taxiway and runway edge lighting. I still want to add more ramp details and vehicles of course to liven up the airport. Winter is coming here and I want to fool around trying to make some snow banks. Then there are all the commercial buildings at the airport to model and the surrounding city areas. And, there is a major roadway along the end of runway 31 so I'd like to add some animated traffic. So, lots of work to go.... This might well be the last airport I do so I want to put as much into it as I can!

I will try to get you an aerial view of the current state of work on the weekend.
Sounds awesome!
Thanks!

Greg, thank you so much for sharing your technique with us in such great details. Thus far it's the best tutorial I have read.
Most of us knew about the fact that grass is made out of polygons, however I had not thought of tweaking the visibility to short range. I am sure this is the winning trick that makes it possible to still fly with an acceptable frame rate.

What a daunting task to place each poly on the ground, indeed. Why not creating patches/object of 1 or 2 meters to fill in large surfaces and keep single objects for edging? Another question comes to mind, what ratio are you using for the texture, pixels/unit (inch, meter)?

I am looking at your taxiway signs that I'm sure you created individually. What those little "brushes" on top? It looks like hair in a triangle and v shape.

Thanks for sharing.