• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Delay part visibility

Country
australia
Hi all,
Just a quick question, I am having a bit of trouble with a Landing light part. I want to delay its visibility by about 5 seconds or so. Is there any simple way of doing this? (note the part is not animated, I just want to control when it becomes visible after (A:LIGHT LANDING, bool) 1)
Regards, TJ

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
What I would do is create an visibility tag for the part. Then have an invisible gauge that had a 'what if' statement that 'activated' when a set of scenarios surfaced. When that occurs, the invisible gauge says 'bingo!' and that bingo statement flags your part. Your part would have 'Bingo!' as the trigger to show up. When Bingo is true, this is visible. Have the invisible gauge 'command' be in a refreshing state via putting it in an 'Update' section. This way, when the scenario of flags falls apart (something is turned off, etc), then the visibility flag (something like Bingo! ) then the part disappears again.

Country
australia
What I would do is create an visibility tag for the part. Then have an invisible gauge that had a 'what if' statement that 'activated' when a set of scenarios surfaced. When that occurs, the invisible gauge says 'bingo!' and that bingo statement flags your part. Your part would have 'Bingo!' as the trigger to show up. When Bingo is true, this is visible. Have the invisible gauge 'command' be in a refreshing state via putting it in an 'Update' section. This way, when the scenario of flags falls apart (something is turned off, etc), then the visibility flag (something like Bingo! ) then the part disappears again.
Thanks Bill thats what I am trying to achieve, just struggling with the XML. Have tried P: Elapsed time but no luck. Brain not working of late.

Country
australia
OK Bill, so far all I have tried is adapting the universal timer XML in the Wiki to see if I can delay the visibility of the part. One of the conditions is that the landing lights must be switched on. Code as follows..
XML:
  <PartInfo>
    <Name>Landing_Light_Timer_vis</Name>
    <Visibility>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>
              (A:LIGHT NAV, bool);
            (P:Absolute time,seconds) 1.0 > !
              and
              if{ 100 }
              els{ 0 }
        </Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
  </PartInfo>

Now I have also tried various permutations of the numbers but nothing seems to work. The universal timer in the Wiki was so easy to apply and worked so well, I am struggling to understand how a simple elapsed timer should be so much more complicated. If possible, I would like to stay away from the use of a control gauge as they don't seem to like me very much.

Many thanks for taking the time to help Bill.

Country
us-arizona
I think I see your issue. You are trying to do this all in the part and I think its too much for the model.

You need a gauge that is in the sim, outside of the model, that tells the part when to work.

You need a several-section Element gauge that manages the timer;
** Setup the timer, also called Reset, when the sim starts
** Starts the timer when the events trigger it
** Turns on the 'something' part
** Turns off the 'something' part if the events trigger loses one or more of its needed events
** Reset under certain conditions (timer goes back to zero).

Then, in the model 'Part Info' section, all you need is the 'visibility' function to have the proper L:var which is what your gauge will yell out to it when the events occur.

Sounds complicated, and if you dont know what it all is, then its like cold fusion equations.... (At least it is to me).

Here is a gauge code that Bill Leaming showed me which works my boot screen. I use it often for similar situations...

Code:
<!-- BOOT SCREEN -->
     <!-- Initialize all variables when power is OFF -->
    <Element>
       <Select>
        <Value>
        (A:Avionics Master Switch,bool) 0 == (A:Electrical Master Battery,bool) 0 == || if{
        0 (>L:3306BootScreen,enum)
        0 (>L:3306BootTime,enum) }
        </Value>
       </Select>
    </Element>

<!-- Start timer and increment when both battery and avionics are ON -->
    <Element>
       <Select>
        <Value>
        (A:Avionics Master Switch,bool) (A:Electrical Master Battery,bool) and (L:3306BootTime,enum) 320 &lt;= and
        if{ (L:3306BootTime,enum) ++ (>L:3306BootTime,enum) 1 (>L:3306BootScreen,enum) }
        </Value>
       </Select>
    </Element>

<!-- Stop timer after 20 seconds -->
    <Element>
       <Select>
        <Value>
        (L:3306BootTime,enum) 320 > if{ 0 (>L:3306BootScreen,enum) }
        </Value>
       </Select>
    </Element>

<!-- AAA While the "bootscreen" variable is ON and battery is ON, display the bootscreen bitmap -->
    <Element>
        <Visible>(L:3306BootScreen,enum) 1 == </Visible>
         <Position X="0" Y="0"/>
        <Image Name="Hello.bmp" ImageSizes="1500,681" Bright="Yes">
        </Image>
    </Element>

<!-- CCC While the "bootscreen" variable is ON and battery is ON, display the bootscreen bitmap -->
    <Element>
        <Visible>(L:3306BootTime,enum) 230 &lt;</Visible>
         <Position X="0" Y="0"/>
        <Image Name="BootModelNumber.bmp" ImageSizes="1500,681" Bright="Yes">
        </Image>
    </Element>

<!-- CCC While the "bootscreen" variable is ON and battery is ON, display the bootscreen bitmap -->
    <Element>
       <Select>
        <Value>
                    (A:Avionics Master Switch,bool) (A:Electrical Master Battery,bool) and (L:3306BootTime,enum) 179 == and
                                  if{ 1 (>L:XMLSND192,bool) }
        </Value>
       </Select>
    </Element>

<Element>
        <Visible>(L:3306BootTime,enum) 165 &lt;</Visible>
         <Position X="0" Y="0"/>
        <Image Name="BootCodeIntro.bmp" ImageSizes="1500,681" Bright="Yes">
        </Image>
    </Element>

<!-- BBB While the "bootscreen" variable is ON and battery is ON, display the bootscreen bitmap -->
    <Element>
        <Visible>(L:3306BootTime,enum) 70 &lt;</Visible>
         <Position X="0" Y="0"/>
        <Image Name="SyrosScreenOff.bmp" ImageSizes="1500,681" Bright="Yes">
        </Image>
    </Element>

Note that this code pack has screens that turn on and off during the timer 'run', and also a voice flag (sound file) also activates.

The very top part is 'Startup or Reset'.
The very bottom sections are commands that make the things happen.
Parts in the middle are management of the timer.

Just mull this over, check out how it works... The 320 is the timer amount that it goes to, its max count. That isnt seconds, and I forget the 'timer frequency count'. Someone will chime in on that. I just adjust it to be more or less, run it in the sim and when its right, I lock it in.

You could use a similar one, figure out the timing length, create a L:var string name, like 'L:mypartvisible,enum' (or bool) and Voila, you are good to go.

Do you know how to create the XML out of a Notebook file?

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
XML:
  <PartInfo>
    <Visibility>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>
              (A:LIGHT NAV, bool);
            (P:Absolute time,seconds) 1.0 > !
              and
              if{ 100 }
              els{ 0 }
        </Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
  </PartInfo>
Error:
(A:LIGHT NAV, bool); - Wrong A:var and the semi-color should not be used here

Country
australia
Many many thanks Bill and Fr. Bill. Will try and work this out in a few hours when I get back to the computer. Will report back as soon as I can.
Regards, TJ.

Country
australia
OK Bill, I'm back and forgive me but I'm having a bit of a 'slow-brain year' so far. It is very much like cold fusion equations to me. I barely have a grip on simple XML let alone what you guys take as 'simple code'. Anyway, I did some simple analysis of what you said and ended up trying to adapt what you kindly shared to suit my purposes but to no avail. Can you tell me if I'm on the right track please.
I created a visibility tag in the modeldef as follows:
XML:
  <PartInfo>
    <Visibility>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>
              (A:LLS, bool)
        </Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
  </PartInfo>

I then edited your ode as follows:
XML:
<Gauge Name="light control" Version="1.0">

<Element>
       <Select>
        <Value>
        (A:LIGHT LANDING, bool) 0 == || if{
        0 (A:LLS, bool)
        </Value>
       </Select>
    </Element>

<Element>
       <Select>
        <Value>
        (A:LIGHT LANDING, bool) and (L:3306BootTime,enum) 320 &lt;= and
        if{ (L:3306BootTime,enum) ++ (>L:3306BootTime,enum) 1 (A:LLS, bool) }
        </Value>
       </Select>
    </Element>

<Element>
       <Select>
        <Value>
        (L:3306BootTime,enum) 320 > if{ 0 (A:LLS, bool) }
        </Value>
       </Select>
    </Element>

<Element>
        <Visible>(A:LLS, bool) 1 == </Visible>
    </Element>

<Element>
    </Element>

<Element>
       <Select>
        <Value>
                    (A:LIGHT LANDING, bool) and (L:3306BootTime,enum) 179 == and
        </Value>
       </Select>
    </Element>

<Element>
    </Element>

<Element>
    </Element>

</Gauge>

I did this as I only needed the part to show when the landing lights were switched on, but I got nothing. The part does not even show up in the sim. What am I doing wrong?
And to answer your question, no I do not know how to create code from a notebook file.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
According to my FSX SDK, there is no such variable as A:LLS. You cannot add extra A: variables - they have been defined by MS and you can't change that. If you want to create your own variable you must use an L: variable and define its value.

Hope this helps,

Country
us-arizona
Hey Terrence,

I happened to stumble on this code and it just might be what you are looking for...

Code:
  <PartInfo>
    <Name>gizmo_thing</Name>
       <Visibility>
         <Parameter>
            <Code>
          (P:Absolute Time, minutes) (L:PartTimer, minutes) 0 == if{ d (>L:PartTimer, minutes) } (L:PartTimer, minutes) - 3 &gt;
            </Code>
         </Parameter>
       </Visibility>
  </PartInfo>

Note that this one has minutes assigned. You will want to change that to seconds and put in your own time.

I totally forgot about this. My apologies.

It is good though to have visibilities controllable via XML gauges so you can 'tune' the parts management. I do this often.

Country
us-arizona
Here is a part that appears/disappears, L:var... (L:vars are custom codes which we are doing here).

Code:
<PartInfo>
    <Name>lhc_headphones_appear</Name>
      <Visibility>
        <Parameter>
        <Code>(L:LHC HEADPHONES, bool) 0 &gt; if{ 0 } els{ 1 }</Code>
        </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
</PartInfo>

Country
australia
OK Bill, I'm back and forgive me but I'm having a bit of a 'slow-brain year' so far. It is very much like cold fusion equations to me. I barely have a grip on simple XML let alone what you guys take as 'simple code'. Anyway, I did some simple analysis of what you said and ended up trying to adapt what you kindly shared to suit my purposes but to no avail. Can you tell me if I'm on the right track please.
I created a visibility tag in the modeldef as follows:
XML:
  <PartInfo>
    <Visibility>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>
              (A:LLS, bool)
        </Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
  </PartInfo>

I then edited your ode as follows:
XML:
<Gauge Name="light control" Version="1.0">

<Element>
       <Select>
        <Value>
        (A:LIGHT LANDING, bool) 0 == || if{
        0 (A:LLS, bool)
        </Value>
       </Select>
    </Element>

<Element>
       <Select>
        <Value>
        (A:LIGHT LANDING, bool) and (L:3306BootTime,enum) 320 &lt;= and
        if{ (L:3306BootTime,enum) ++ (>L:3306BootTime,enum) 1 (A:LLS, bool) }
        </Value>
       </Select>
    </Element>

<Element>
       <Select>
        <Value>
        (L:3306BootTime,enum) 320 > if{ 0 (A:LLS, bool) }
        </Value>
       </Select>
    </Element>

<Element>
        <Visible>(A:LLS, bool) 1 == </Visible>
    </Element>

<Element>
    </Element>

<Element>
       <Select>
        <Value>
                    (A:LIGHT LANDING, bool) and (L:3306BootTime,enum) 179 == and
        </Value>
       </Select>
    </Element>

<Element>
    </Element>

<Element>
    </Element>

</Gauge>

I did this as I only needed the part to show when the landing lights were switched on, but I got nothing. The part does not even show up in the sim. What am I doing wrong?
And to answer your question, no I do not know how to create code from a notebook file.
Sorry Tom, it was approaching midnight and I was typing by hand not copying and pasting as I should have done. Meant L:LLS

Country
australia
Hey Terrence,

I happened to stumble on this code and it just might be what you are looking for...

Code:
  <PartInfo>
    <Name>gizmo_thing</Name>
       <Visibility>
         <Parameter>
            <Code>
          (P:Absolute Time, minutes) (L:PartTimer, minutes) 0 == if{ d (>L:PartTimer, minutes) } (L:PartTimer, minutes) - 3 &gt;
            </Code>
         </Parameter>
       </Visibility>
  </PartInfo>

Note that this one has minutes assigned. You will want to change that to seconds and put in your own time.

I totally forgot about this. My apologies.

It is good though to have visibilities controllable via XML gauges so you can 'tune' the parts management. I do this often.
Bill, thank you. That might just be exactly what I am looking for. Will try it in a bit. Just could not think of how to approach the problem. Thanks again.
Regards, TJ

Country
australia
Success Bill, it works perfectly thank you. One more question if I may please (sorry for being a pest). I want the the part to appear 3-5 seconds after every time I hit the landing light switch, but the code needs to reset when I turn off the landing lights and re-start when I turn them on again. So far I have the following in the modeldef:
XML:
  <PartInfo>
    <Name>Landing_Light_Timer_vis2</Name>
       <Visibility>
         <Parameter>
            <Code>
              (A:LIGHT LANDING, bool)
                (P:Absolute Time, seconds) (L:PartTimer, seconds) 0 == if{ d (>L:PartTimer, seconds) } (L:PartTimer, seconds) - 3 &gt;
              and
            </Code>
         </Parameter>
       </Visibility>
    <MouseRect>
      <Cursor>UpArrow</Cursor>
      <CallbackCode>
          (>K:LANDING_LIGHTS_TOGGLE)
          (P:Absolute Time, seconds) (L:PartTimer, seconds)
      </CallbackCode>
    </MouseRect>
  </PartInfo>
Can you suggest any way I might be able to reset the timer?
Many many thanks again for the code.
Regards, TJ

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
XML:
            <Code>
              (A:LIGHT LANDING, bool)
                (P:Absolute Time, seconds) (L:PartTimer, seconds) 0 == if{ d (>L:PartTimer, seconds) } (L:PartTimer, seconds) - 3 &gt;
              and

<!-- RESET TIMER -->
              (A:LIGHT LANDING, bool) !
              if { 0 (>L:PartTimer, seconds) }
            </Code>