• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Dropped Animations

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Hello, I have created a animated model in FSDS to represent a hold short light. I used two images of an illuminated lens, superimposed over the light fixture with dark lenses. I used key frame animation to alternately 180 degree reverse the lenses every 10 frames. As the back of the lens is untextured, the effect is that each lighted lens disappears for the duration of 10 frames.
When I import the model with .fsc extension into ModelConverterX, everything works as expected. However, when I compile as a .mdl, MCX strips the animations. When I export from FSDS as an .x file or .mdl, the animations are lost before opening in MCX. Additionally, FSDS refused to compile with XToMDL, so I switched to MakeMDL and it compiled.
Is there a solution? Is it buggy code? Superficially, it looks more like an issue with the Microsoft compilers than FSDS. I'll attach the working FSDS file..

Attachments

• hold light.zip
    12.9 KB · Views: 266

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
Have you unchecked the drawcall batching checkbox and tried?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Have you unchecked the drawcall batching checkbox and tried?
I have to apologize in that I am very awkward with FSDS. I model in Sketch-Up, primarily, then use MCX to export components to FSDS for making animations. The draw call batching check box is in FSDS?
You have keyframes in part0 part... normal?
...and again apologies, I have to inform that my technique is basically to do as little in FSDS as possible. In this instance, I split the light into three parts, the static box, and each illuminated lens. The lenses I animated separately, I saved one as a part and then added it to the other after I'd animated it - I should also add that I got it to work at first in a more straightforward fashion, but he darn lenses refused to be sequential and flashed on and off at the same time, that is why I tried it this way, you see. Then once I had both lenses animated, I imported the box as a merged project, then saved that in .x or .fsc for import into MCX. So to answer your question to the best of my knowledge, part(0) is the first one I animated, I am sorry but I do not understand about normal. Perhaps I should include the box in my entire animation..? This I have done, but that is how I get the parallel flash, even though I switch the parts at each key frame.

Country
ca-quebec
The name "part0" is absent in FSX Keyframe Animation list in Standard Part Names dialog box of FSDS. May be its explain the bug... Try Ambien1, Ambien2 etc.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Yes thank you, I believe I understand. I remember I had a similar issue working out the animation for ship antennas. I will explore it.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
So I got it finally, thank you - by adhering to the naming parameters presumably. It worked fine in MCX after compiling as a .mdl. The nuances of the animation renderer treated it differently in FSX; you can clearly see a single light swing back and forth, like an old school RR crossing or somebody waving a lantern, a stupid orange Cylon visor effect, so I suppose I have to take a different approach. It is frustrating because in the animation the lenses are two separate items that never move in the x,y, or z axis, they only rotate.

Country
ca-quebec
May be a trick for you : for rotating beacon I use landing light effet and it work fine!