• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Duplicate sceneries

Messages
287
Country
ireland
I made a fictitious airport scenery for FS2002 using Airport for Windows and EOD. I adapted this when FS2004 came along using AFCAD. Since then I have modified it more with ADE9X.

Now I find I have two airports. One is for the user plane (AFW version) and the other is used by AI planes (ADE9X version). The two sceneries are close topographically, but not close enough to be realistic.

I am not sure how to fix this. I have checked for duplicate AFCAD/ADE9X files. I could just start again but I spent long hours making the EOD APIs and I would hate to lose them. The original api files have long since disappeared - only the compiled .bgl files remain.

I'd be grateful for advice.

John
 
Hi John,

If you follow the FS2004 techniques then the visual part of the scenery can also be made with ADE9X. The information you put in there is not only for the AI, but also determines how everything looks.

In FS2004 objects are usually placed as MDL files, no longer as API macros. With my ModelConverterX tool you can probably convert them (if you want). That should be possible from the BGL file you have directly.
 
Thanks, Arno.

I removed the old .bgl files containing the API macros etc but there is still a problem. The ADE9X pic shows a runway with 'piano keys' but this is not what I have in the FS9 scenery.

I used SBuilder to flatten the entire area but I am not convinced about this - it flattened some, but mesh is still poking up where it shouldn't.

398926118.jpg


And where is the apron? (Yes, I compiled the ADE file!).

398926122.jpg


Maybe I should just start again - with or without my old macros :(

John
 
The ADE9X pic shows a runway with 'piano keys' but this is not what I have in the FS9 scenery.

ADE does not necessarily depict the markings on a runway with complete accuracy. If you are expecting the markings in FS9 and not getting them then we have one issue. If you are not expecting them and ADE does draw them then we have another............

The latest version of ADE (1.50.17) provides a method to flatten FS9 airports so you might want to try that if you are not having success with SBuilder
 
Jon

The ADE9X flatten worked so now I have an apron. Strange that the SBuilder flatten only worked partially. I have a few trees to remove only.

Re. Arno's ModelConvertorX which I hoped would extract my API macros from the scenery .bgl.
I imported the .bgl file but the event log reported:
'This is not a supported file' and 'No objects found in file'.
The scenery was originally made for FS2002 so I may have compiled it with something other than BGLComp - it is so long ago now that I forget.

If anyone has any ideas how to extract API macros from a FS2002 .bgl and convert them for use in FS9 please post details.

Thanks again.
John
 
Hi John,

Did you try the latest development release of ModelConverterX or version 1.2? The development release should read more BGL files. If even that one does not read them, please submit it as a bug and I will have a look.
 
Hi Arno

I was using 1.2. I am getting a response using the development version. It produced a small table with about 8 variables and requested to 'set condition variables' - which I did.

It produced this. I could not find any converted data anywhere although obviously they must be somewhere!

398942982.jpg


I have all the texture files but am not sure where to go to from here...

The scenery is meant to look like this: Geese island

John
 
Last edited:
I took the easy option. This involved adjusting the ADE9X taxiways and apron to fit the old scenery. I would have liked to modify some of the FS2002 scenery but what I have now is acceptable.

Thanks again for the advice and help.

John
 
Back
Top