Dynamic lighting

The function to convert FX files to spot lights on import only works if you use the default FX names that MCX generates. In your model you use a different name, so then it will not work.

Of course FS should still show the dynamic light correctly.
Hey Arno,

would it be possible to add a feature that will alow MCX to display Spotlights with a customname at some point? I used to rename the FX files in my projects for better usage

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
You mean in the preview or in the attached object editor?

In the preview is something I want to add. In the editor not.

Hi, Arno - great tool for dynamic lights- thanks! Question: is the P3D Effects folder the only place that effects can be placed to work?

James Shaddox

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Yes, but I think if you use the add-on.xml method to add your scenery you can probably also use a local effects folder.

Arno, I apologize if this ? is a repeat, but with you FANTASTIC "attached object editor" and the adds to allow for very easy dynamic lighting to be created, have you had the time to put anything in writing about the use of such? Where I am headed is some "user info" on the Position and Orientation fields as well as the Inner Cone and Outer Cone parameters. I am had to ...and want to continue to "play" with the options for each and have been very successful, although it takes a lot of "trial, test, error, redo". I fully realize everything comes to he who waits, except documentation...or maybe "if it hard to write, it should be hard to read :) But I see you already have a wishlist started and maybe you will give consideration. Thanks for a really great MCX and option...using this to implement dynamic lighting versus using P3D/FX effects, really reduces FPS greatly....and looks 1000 times better. Many thanks!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Updating the manual is planned, but time is lacking to finish it soon unfortunately.

Arno, I am back asking what is probably either and answered or maybe a dumb question..but. What items are used to create the "effects" name from the Object Attach Editor? Let me clarify, with the editor, I have created a spotlight attached to a object, compiled, moved the generated effects file to the {P3Dv4.5) effects folder and all is GOOD. Use the MDL in an airport scenery and its perfect. THEN, I copy the MDL to a different airport scenery and I then "modify" the attached spotlight but changing only the "pitch", compile it to the new airport scenery and when I go to move the generated effects file to the P3Dv4.5 Effects folder, there is a duplicate file there (the one from the original compile), thus is leads me to believe (I have not yet tested it) the change in the pitch will be seen every place I use the MDL.
If true, how can I use the same MDL in multiple scenery folders (i.e. different airports or even the same airport) but with a different effects file? Do I need to change MDL name, GUID, or can there be an "effects" folder for each specific airport scenery?
Any insight and education (mine) is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Lemon

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

The pitch is not stored in the FX file, it is stored in the MDL file. So you should not have a conflict there. So the two FX files you have should be identical.

Arno, I apologize for being tardy with this THANK YOU for answering my question about pitch, etc. It has help me further enjoy (and implement) spotlights on a significant number of objects. Its awesome.
I have but another question and it has to do with the "inner cone" and "outer cone" values. The "inner cone" is most self explanatory as it changes the size of the "field of light" that is cast but I struggle with the "outer cone" setting, especially in relation to the inner cone setting. How do the 2 relate to each other as I find that with certain values the result is "no light" but rather a black shadow cast when viewed in P3D. I have recently created spots for the US flagpole (the generic object available in P3D) and I went thru a number of tests varying the inner and outer cones until I was able to finally (and it was truly just trial and error on my part) get a "narrow" spot that did not also light up adjacent objects. Thus, any insight / tutorial regarding these 2 variables and how they do / do not relate to each other, etc. would go a long way to pull my head out of that dark spot :).
Thanks in advance...your fantastic MCX has turned me into a monster of wanting to really jazz up the several airports and objects that I have created!!
Lemon

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

As far as I understand them the angle between the inner and outer cone is used to gradually blend the light. So if you set them almost the same you get a hard light and else you get a more soft light that gradually fades off.