Edit VC

I am trying edit my vc for B777-300ER to make one of my gauge available in the vc. I can see the gauge in 2d panel but cannot see it in the vc. I have seen the textures for the vc in the aircraft texture folder and there in the texture it is black on the places where the gauges will be shown in the VC. I tried to make the place where i wanted to make the gauge available in the vc black but that didn't help. So is there any way I can make the the gauge available in the vc (the gauge is available in 2d panel but not vc)? Pl help. Thank you

tgibson

Resource contributor
Generally speaking, you can replace an existing gauge in the VC but you cannot add a new one in a new location. The aircraft's author has specified in the model exactly where gauges can and cannot go.

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible if I can get Modelconverter X 1.20 (not 1.3 or 1.4) from somewhere cos the archive doesn't seem to work? version 1.3 or 4 and the development release doesn't work on my computer due to Opengl version.

no you can't edit VC. unless the model has basic modeldef.xml you can compile it, if no, may there a lot of thing will be not be animated anymore. everything on VC are embedded on model. Two thing you can do on VC are change texture and edit gauge from panel.cfg ONLY(with limitation)

Thanks for the reply, I am just not keen on editing the VC but I would like to edit my vc textures. I have POSKY 777-300ER but I don't like its VC textures, I like the PMDG ones. So how do I replace VC textures or edit VC textures? I have very less knowledge of GIMP and Photoshop. I tried to do it before but it didn't work, the vc just appeared black

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Whoah there: unless the PMDG model is built and mapped the same way as the Posky, you cannot swap textures around. It isn't, so you can't; you can only do new paint jobs for it.

try using DXTBmp. you need to know about image format for Flight Sim. its DXT 1, DXT 3, DXT5. if you dont know that image format then use DXTBmp for open and saving for easy. for editing texture using Paint, Gimp or Photoshop. do not direct edit from original texture to graphic software and save it as is, that way it won't work.

Ok, can i remove vc from Posky 777-300er model? there is not interior model in the model cfg. I found out from somewhere that I need hex editor but I not sure what to find in the hex editor to remove the vc from posky 777. This is so that I can remove posky 777 vc (not fully functional) and install pmdg 777 vc (fully functional).

hairyspin

Resource contributor
If the Posky doesn't have a separate VC then good luck with that. I'd rather attempt a kidney transplant and I'll bet the PMDG needs a load of other files brought over too, if it'll even run without triggering copy protection antipiracy measures. YMMV...

Thanks for the reply. I have checked the panel cfg but I don't get certain things in the cfg file that is you have a set of numbers next to the gauges, for example: gauge19=Boeing777-300!Transponder, 1,841,200,76. What do these numbers "1,841,200,76" mean? do they determine the position of gauges in the vc? if not then what does determine the position of gauges in the VC?. This I am asking just to know more about panel cfg because I don't know much about it and its functions in fsx.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Ok, can i remove vc from Posky 777-300er model? there is not interior model in the model cfg. I found out from somewhere that I need hex editor but I not sure what to find in the hex editor to remove the vc from posky 777. This is so that I can remove posky 777 vc (not fully functional) and install pmdg 777 vc (fully functional).
It is impossible to achieve a usable result that way. Don't waste your time.

Can someone give me proper step instructions as to how to re-texture vc textures? I have DXTBMP however I don't know much about it as I just recently downloaded it, plus I don't know which DXT version is my vc textures DXT 1, DXT 3, DXT5. Help needed

Heretic

Resource contributor
Load the textures into DXTBMP and save them a 32bit BMP. The resulting images can be edited with GIMP or Photoshop. Reverse the process to make the edited images usable in FS9/X.

Thanks for the reply. I tested ur instructions and did work. Thanks. I got another question, I use b777-300ER and JB panels v1.032 but on the FMC it shows b777-200lr. Is there any way to correct this?

n4gix

Resource contributor
Thanks for the reply. I tested ur instructions and did work. Thanks. I got another question, I use b777-300ER and JB panels v1.032 but on the FMC it shows b777-200lr. Is there any way to correct this?
Not without editing the FMC gauge itself. Tough luck if it is a compiled .gau or .dll file though.

TurboCompound

Resource contributor
I'm confused. Why do you wish to merge the PMDG VC with the Posky model? Though the Posky exterior model is very good, it is much older, not FSX Native, and miles away from PMDG Quality.

Is it possible to get ModelConverter X v1.2 because 1.3 (stable and development) and higher doesn't seem to work on my computer due to Opengl issues. The achieves doesn't work, its gives me error page.. So can anyone find a link to download ModelConverter X v1.2 because I am trying to make a scenery.