• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Error with transparency

Country
unitedkingdom
Hello,

I have a taxiway edge light and I have applied a transparent texture and a nightmap texture. This is what the final object should like when I apply it to P3D:
Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_4.png

When I export it as an mdl file and apply it via ADE I end up with this during the day:
Screenshot_5.png

And at night, I get the exact same issue except I have the lighting (apologies for it being so difficult to see):
Screenshot_6.png

I did click on "set default transparent" for transparent textures but that didn't seem to work.
I saved the textures as DDS but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

A helping hand is greatly appreciated.

Acer

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Did you put the textures in the correct texture folder? Black objects often indicate missing textures.

Country
unitedkingdom
Did you put the textures in the correct texture folder? Black objects often indicate missing textures.
Screenshot_1.png

Hello,

There were at first 3 textures. It ended with 6 textures being added correctly to the right texture folder. I have managed to add models into the same texture folder with no issues.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
So those texture files are present in the Texture folder next to the Scenery folder where the library BGL file is located? Or if added as an MDL file into the ADE file they should be in the Texture folder next to the Scenery folder where the ADE BGL file is located.

Country
unitedkingdom
So those texture files are present in the Texture folder next to the Scenery folder where the library BGL file is located? Or if added as an MDL file into the ADE file they should be in the Texture folder next to the Scenery folder where the ADE BGL file is located.
The texture files are placed in the texture folder next to the scenery folder where the ADE BGL file is located. That is what I have done.

Country
unitedkingdom
Update:
I redid my alpha channels and it seems to have an improvement, although I notice there are very small black lines over the light.
Screenshot_5.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    168.1 KB · Views: 173

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Glad you found it. Looks like only one more polygon's texture to fix.

Country
unitedkingdom
Aaaa now it won't illuminate at night
Screenshot_6.png

Does this usually happen to people with these issues?

Attachments

• Screenshot_6.png
    Screenshot_6.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 160

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
No, not really. How are you creating the DDS files? And do they look OK in DXTBmp (for example)?

Country
unitedkingdom
Okay, I have made some more progress,
Screenshot_7.png

I decided to tick the box "Illumination" and before you know it:
Screenshot_5.png

It's working fine, but...
Screenshot_6.png

All of my GP's have disappeared. So a bit more work to figure out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 195

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I’m confused. Why are you making a 3D object a ground polygon? I can understand the illumination on the ground, but the 3D object itself?

Country
unitedkingdom
I’m confused. Why are you making a 3D object a ground polygon? I can understand the illumination on the ground, but the 3D object itself?
I'm not even sure how I made it a ground polygon. I exported the model as a .mdl and then added it as a model with ADE, not a .bgl. I'm not sure how to export it as a .bgl file and I'm not sure if that would make it any better unless I've done all of this the hard way around.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I think what Tom means is that the compile parameters you are showing are for ground polygons, so they do not affect a 3D model placed as MDL.

Country
unitedkingdom
I see. Well, I did follow the steps from this youtube video here:

What he does differently when exporting is that he converts it to a .bgl and does some xml tweaking as well.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Yes, and what he does differently is what you need to do too, to make it work. Export as an mdl file, place into a library BGL, and place them using a program like ADE.

Country
unitedkingdom
Screenshot_8.png

Unfortunately, still no luck. I have converted it to a .bgl and there doesn't seem to be any emitting light except for the model.

Attachments

• Screenshot_8.png
    Screenshot_8.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 162
Country
unitedkingdom
Update: I know why it won't emit any light.

Due to the GPs, for some reason, it won't allow the taxi light to emit any light.
When placed on the grass, it lights up perfectly. I'm not sure why the GP is even causing the problem.