• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX FS8/FSX Ground poly conversion: alpha issue

JonPatch

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
First, I love this FS8/FSX ground poly conversion feature! Zowie!

But I have an issue: one of the polys was lacking an alpha channel in my FS8 version. I've added it to the DDS but the revised alpha doesn't mask the areas I chose in the converted poly, either in the tool or the sim.

Is there a tweak I need to do to the poly itself?

Also, is there a way I can specify the altitude to be AGL=FALSE?

Jon

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Jon,

As far as I know the fs2002 style ground polygons should always use the alpha channel for transparency, so I am not sure what is going on here.

About the altitude, the tool has been designed to put objects at ground level, so that's why it uses agl. What kind of polygons are you trying to make that you would like a different value?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
You can use DDS textures with FS2002 style ground polygons? I didn't know that...

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Yes in fsx you can.

JonPatch

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Thx, Arno. The texture issue magically resolved itself. The placement issue occured when for some reason the poly was placed at 0 altitude, below the surface. Again some mucking around resolved this issue without knowing the cause. Gremlins, I guess. ;)

Jon

JonPatch

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Not so fast

So the flatten was changed under the ground poly, and the behaviour of the ground poly has changed! Now one corner of it is not visible very close up, begins to flicker to life as you slew away and completely appears at a distance. It does not correspond to one of the polygons directly, but occurs corner to corner. See attached screenshot.

What's weirder is that when I re-imported the converted ground poly into MCX from FSX ONLY that misbehaving corner appears! Not the rest of the poly, or the other polys. See attached.

Ideas?

Attachments

• PAGY_GP_inFSX.jpg
    PAGY_GP_inFSX.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 474
  • PAGY_GP_importedfromFS8.jpg
    PAGY_GP_importedfromFS8.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 618
  • PAGY_GP_importedfromFSX.jpg
    PAGY_GP_importedfromFSX.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 406

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Jon,

I think the difference when you import it again is due to splitting the object in groups. I expect that the other part is in another object.

Is the entire area that is flickering still part of the flatten? The ground polygon wizard assumes everything is the same altitude.

JonPatch

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Roger on the objects, I understand now.

The entire area, including flickering and non-flickering parts, is on a single flatten. There are two objects, and now I see that one flickers and one doesn't.

Jon

JonPatch

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
So I playfully selected "correct for earth curvature" on both objects, re-exported, and now the previously flickering object doesn't appear at all, and the other one flickers.

(Looking up at daylight from the hole I'm digging)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Jon,

When exporting for FSX with the ground polygon wizard it is already corrected for the curve of the earth. So doing it again will make things worse in general (twice curved, so possibly below the ground).

Are you sure that you set the correct altitude in meters in the wizard when exporting the ground polygons?

JonPatch

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Hi Arno,

Roger on curvature.

I didn't use the wizard. ;) I simply imported FS8 and exported FSX. I left the height at zero, as I assumed it was placed AGL.

So now I used the wizard, and the poly didn't appear. Suspecting it to be below ground level, I adjusted the height in MCX to be ground level (9.14m), and it floats above the ground. If I set the height to 4m that sets it about ground level.

Why is it not displaying either AGL or at absolute height, and instead appears to be at an arbitrary height? I checked the altitude flatten and coverage and it matches.

And that transparency issue I reported earlier has reappeared, at one corner it appears to be ignoring the alpha. It's definitely in the .DDS. The alpha was not in the original FS8 compile though, I added it later. Could that be an issue?

Most challenging!

Jon

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Jon,

The idea is that in the wizard you enter the exact altitude of your flatten (in meters) and then it should work fine. I haven't had issues with floating polygons in that case. So the fiddling you had to do are not supposed to be there. Let me see if I can reproduce it somehow.

JonPatch

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Hey Arno, I spoke with another developer who loves MCX and has done hundreds of ground polys and says he's never had a problem. He suggested a different approach: instead of trying to convert from the FS8 BGL to FSX BGL in MCX, I convert the gmax model to FSX, export the FSX MDL, import that to MCX and export from there. So I'm gonna give that a shot.

Thanks for your help.

Jon

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Glad to hear it is working now.