FSX FSDS Night textures

Hieveryone. I am very confused again (sorry! ) I have FSDS and boxed FSX gold edition. I have made a building with custom textures. They all work fine. But when I try and add night textures by pasting the night textures with _LM on the end. They don't show in fsx. Only the day textures do. I paste the night textures into the scenery\texture folder and into the main fsx texture folder. Also I tick the box that says night textures in FSDS. Have I missed anything?

As I understand you do not made night texture but only copy-paste day texture. To have night texture you have to make a distinctive night texture. Day and night texture are two different images.

As I understand you do not made night texture but only copy-paste day texture. To have night texture you have to make a distinctive night texture. Day and night texture are two different images.
No. I have made a different night texture but it doesn't appear. The day textures appear at night too. Sorry I wasn't clear enough

Speaking of MCX, did your night texture appears in it?
Hi. I haven't touched MCX as it doesn't work for me. Here's what I have done. Created a texture and imported it to paint. Converted it to standard BMP. Then opened the image I image tool and changed the format to DXT1. It now will work in fsx. I have done this with my day AND night textures.

Thanks

Nice for you!

It would have been my next question, the file format! My original 24 bits format dont works in FSX, I have to compile them in DXT1 or DXT5.

Nice for you!

It would have been my next question, the file format! My original 24 bits format dont works in FSX, I have to compile them in DXT1 or DXT5.
Nice for you!

Yeah I use DXT1. While your here. Do you find a difference between DXT1 and DXT5?

its just a case of alpha channels, if your textures have alpha channels Dxt1 allow just a black/White alpha cannel, from DXT3 to up, greyscale gradient colors are permited. also store more colors information. Dxt1 save a Little more bits, the file are less heavy, and in Fsx is important though always is recommended to save in Dxt5 regarding the quality

its just a case of alpha channels, if your textures have alpha channels Dxt1 allow just a black/White alpha cannel, from DXT3 to up, greyscale gradient colors are permited. also store more colors information. Dxt1 save a Little more bits, the file are less heavy, and in Fsx is important though always is recommended to save in Dxt5 regarding the quality
Great thanks for the help!

All above is correct; but night texture you used the original texture BUT YOU HAVE TO ATTACH _LM TO IT. otherwise IT IS NOT A NIGHT TEXUTRE.

example: original texture is................ Billboard.bmp night texture ................. billboard_LM.bmp

Now- take billboard_LM.bmp to your paint program (Adobe or PSP or gimp) and dim it down. [In PSP I go to 'adjust' tab, then brightness and contrast, then brightness I dim it down to -94 and contrast to -17.] Then I save. This makes it quite visible at night but it doesn't glare your eyes.

Now- open this _LM in dxtbmp and save as dxt3 or dxt5. You might find that you can't tell the difference between dxt 3 & 5. Might use % if there are a whoppin' amount of colors.

Now- put that _LM into your texture folder.

find me on Skype I am Robert Lacy in Ione, Washington. will help with MCX stuff. great program. Bob