• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX FSDS Night textures

Country
unitedkingdom
Hieveryone. I am very confused again (sorry! ) I have FSDS and boxed FSX gold edition. I have made a building with custom textures. They all work fine. But when I try and add night textures by pasting the night textures with _LM on the end. They don't show in fsx. Only the day textures do. I paste the night textures into the scenery\texture folder and into the main fsx texture folder. Also I tick the box that says night textures in FSDS. Have I missed anything?

Country
ca-quebec
Did the texture during night are the same than day texture, the object is black or there is no texture at all?

Country
unitedkingdom
Did the texture during night are the same than day texture, the object is black or there is no texture at all?
The night textures are the same as the day textures. So it's as if I made a building with no night textures at all

Country
ca-quebec
As I understand you do not made night texture but only copy-paste day texture. To have night texture you have to make a distinctive night texture. Day and night texture are two different images.

Country
unitedkingdom
As I understand you do not made night texture but only copy-paste day texture. To have night texture you have to make a distinctive night texture. Day and night texture are two different images.
No. I have made a different night texture but it doesn't appear. The day textures appear at night too. Sorry I wasn't clear enough

Country
spain
Try to add the night texture with Modelconvertex and his material editor but of course you should solve the problem with Fsds but it's a good altenative.

Country
unitedkingdom
Speaking of MCX, did your night texture appears in it?
Hi. I haven't touched MCX as it doesn't work for me. Here's what I have done. Created a texture and imported it to paint. Converted it to standard BMP. Then opened the image I image tool and changed the format to DXT1. It now will work in fsx. I have done this with my day AND night textures.

Thanks

Country
ca-quebec
Nice for you!

It would have been my next question, the file format! My original 24 bits format dont works in FSX, I have to compile them in DXT1 or DXT5.

Country
unitedkingdom
Nice for you!

It would have been my next question, the file format! My original 24 bits format dont works in FSX, I have to compile them in DXT1 or DXT5.
Nice for you!

Yeah I use DXT1. While your here. Do you find a difference between DXT1 and DXT5?

Country
spain
its just a case of alpha channels, if your textures have alpha channels Dxt1 allow just a black/White alpha cannel, from DXT3 to up, greyscale gradient colors are permited. also store more colors information. Dxt1 save a Little more bits, the file are less heavy, and in Fsx is important though always is recommended to save in Dxt5 regarding the quality

Country
unitedkingdom
its just a case of alpha channels, if your textures have alpha channels Dxt1 allow just a black/White alpha cannel, from DXT3 to up, greyscale gradient colors are permited. also store more colors information. Dxt1 save a Little more bits, the file are less heavy, and in Fsx is important though always is recommended to save in Dxt5 regarding the quality
Great thanks for the help!

Country
us-washington
All above is correct; but night texture you used the original texture BUT YOU HAVE TO ATTACH _LM TO IT. otherwise IT IS NOT A NIGHT TEXUTRE.

example: original texture is................ Billboard.bmp night texture ................. billboard_LM.bmp

Now- take billboard_LM.bmp to your paint program (Adobe or PSP or gimp) and dim it down. [In PSP I go to 'adjust' tab, then brightness and contrast, then brightness I dim it down to -94 and contrast to -17.] Then I save. This makes it quite visible at night but it doesn't glare your eyes.

Now- open this _LM in dxtbmp and save as dxt3 or dxt5. You might find that you can't tell the difference between dxt 3 & 5. Might use % if there are a whoppin' amount of colors.

Now- put that _LM into your texture folder.

find me on Skype I am Robert Lacy in Ione, Washington. will help with MCX stuff. great program. Bob