FSX FSDS Transparency issue

Hi,
I am having issues when trying to make night lights for FSX, Basically I have the texture below in a BMP DXT5 format. It has a black Alpha Channel, the day texture is just a pure black texture in the same format again with a black alpha channel so that the light disappears during the day.

yet when exported in FSX it is invisible at night too... in FSDS Material properties I have added a material 'trans' as told to do so in this transparency tutorial:
http://farfyscenery.katuu.com/Tutorials/Objects that use transparent textures with FSDS 3.5.1.htm

I then placed the textures onto my object and exported it to an MDL which should show as all other models such as houses show fine...
what have i done wrong?
Thanks

tgibson

Resource contributor
In FSX (AFAIK) the night texture uses the day texture's alpha channel. So if it is all black the night texture will disappear too.

In FSX (AFAIK) the night texture uses the day texture's alpha channel. So if it is all black the night texture will disappear too.
Thanks I think that has really helped... but if the day texture has the same alpha channel as the night wouldn't it have a visible area during the day? Thanks

tgibson

Resource contributor
If this is solid geometry and not an effect, I assume you could assign an XML custom animation that would make the part disappear during the day?

Last edited:
If this is solid geometry and not an effect, I assume you could assign an XML custom animation effect that would make the part disappear during the day?
That's a good idea. I'm not sure how to do it but that approach should work. Thanks Tom!