FSW SDK

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Let's see. Hopefully it's easy to add support for it in all the tools.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
In the case of a flight simulator, it gives the documentation for the components which make up the sim: aircraft, scenery, effects, weather, ATC etc. It should also include the tools to build these where modelling/graphics/sound software don't actually have the facility already included. So for FSX there are compilers for scenery and aircraft, plugins for modelling programs, a tool to convert bitmaps to DDS format and suchlike.

Expect a lot of reading when the FSW sdk is released. A lot.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Thanks for letting us know. Good to see the tools to make mdl files. Guess I need to update MCX now :)

Hope this will be easily compatible with the tools we have here.

The bad thing is in the v1.0 it's only compatible to 3dsmax, but I heard developers saying they will update it to be compatible with blender too.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
We never had a version that supported blender out of the box. But if the x file changes are not too big that should be possible I assume.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
It would help if DTG mentioned somewhere which versions of 3ds Max are compatible. If anyone knows, please tell us, thank you.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
No terrain tools indeed. Also the X format description seems to be lacking, so if somebody with 3DS Max can export a sample object so I can see which changes there are that would be appreciated.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I am seeing stuff for scenery objects but nothing for airport facilities. I have very limited internet at the moment so maybe I missed it.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I think you are right Jon. There is a new BGLComp, but the documentation only tells us how to use the ModelData and SceneryObject commands. No other details are described in the documentation.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Then I will wait on some more information before reviewing whether ADE can be set up to support FSW

n4gix

Resource contributor
I've noted that they provide support for "Legacy" FSX/P3D Materials so PBR Materials aren't absolutely necessary.

rhumbaflappy

Staff member
Resource contributor
I'm not sure why they have released this partial SDK.

Unusable for scenery. No managed SimConnect support. Apparently no support for C++ gauges. No examples. Supports only 3ds. No x-file documentation...

I understand this is a program under development, but they must have more documentation and tools already in use.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
It can be used to make new scenery and aircraft models. I'm almost finished understanding the mdl changes, still studying the models a bit.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I've noted that they provide support for "Legacy" FSX/P3D Materials so PBR Materials aren't absolutely necessary.
True, but in that case I think we can just use FSX mdl files. Although I'm still checking what the exact differences are in the mdl format.