FXEditor won't open

=rk=

Resource contributor
I just discovered that the FXEditor crashes immediately on opening. Changing compatibility and administrative settings does not help. Been about a year since I used it, but my suspicion is Windows 10 shenanigans. Maybe someone would be kind enough to confirm or deny that likelihood...

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Windows 10 should be no problem. So you get any error?

Rick, FXE works as before on my Win 10 setup. The only issue I've had (and maybe Arno has fixed it) is that if the effect has a sound file referenced that is not disabled, FXE crashes.

My problem is that I keep forgetting to re-enable the sound before I post the effect. :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Let me check the sound, never heard of such a crash. I usually test with the chicken barn effect myself, drives my wife crazy :)

=rk=

Resource contributor
Well got it working, thanks. On the assurances it runs in W10 I downloaded and overwrote the files. It is the first time the Windows "Smart Screen" was invoked to block unfamiliar software; Microsoft can probably offer to sell you some sort of trusted partner token in order to get that cleared up.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I haven't seen that smart screen yet. I did look into buying certificates to sign software a while back, but that's pretty expensive.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Yes, the warning actually appeared the next time I opened MCX, so it must be an incremental update to W10. Maybe the feature was partially functional until I restarted and that is why FXEditor was blocked. I think the MS certification is a scam, the idea being that MS is the only authority on legitimate software from which any one can purchase authorization.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
It partly seems to be an IE feature to warn people of files that are not commonly downloaded. That's not really a bad idea.

But to sign your software seems to cost hundreds of dollars per year.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I did check an effect with audio here on Windows 10 and no problem.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Since this is a three year old thread, where multiple problems are discussed, it maybe is a good idea to tell which issue you have?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
What OS are you using? Do you have .NET 4.0 installed?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
That's all I can think about. Does MCX work on your machine?