• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Gauge resolution vs. screen aspect ratio issue (SOLVED)

Country
mexico
Hello ladies&gents

I have a bit of an issue regarding "what I see" in phooshop vs. "what is seen" in the simulator. First of all, I will enlist all resolutions involved in the distorted rendered gauge:
  • My LCD screen has a native resolution of 1920x1080 pixels (16:9 aspect ratio). Inside FS9, I have the same resolution.
  • The image size for the gauge inside photoshop is 978x828 pixels.
  • For the 2D panel inside the simulator, I have chosen to affect the Xvalue in pixels by the aspect ratio. That is New X value in pixels = (9/16) x 978 pixels = 550.125 (aprox. to 550 pixels.)
The 2D window panel code is:
HTML:
//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window07]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=1024,1024
window_size_ratio=1.000
position=0
visible=0
ident=MFD
window_size= 1.000, 1.000
window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

gauge00=H225M!MFD,  10,10,550,828

Theoretically, "I matched" the desired aspect ratio for the gauge in question inside the 2D panel, right?
Then, the question is this: Why on earth it looks like this???

TEST.jpg

That's weird!!! As you may be wondering, the indicator looks and behaves as it should in the virtual cockpit:
TEST_02.jpg

I made an experiment: The resolution inside the simulator was reduced to 1280 x 720 pixels (same aspect ratio); this time, the rendering of the 2D panel was almost right:
TEST_03.jpg

I've been working my way with each and every new gauge and this is the first showing that issue. The reason I need the 2D panel is simply because I need a big render to fine tune the gauge element positions and probably to create a fully
functional 2D panel window set.

Any hint on why is this rendering issue happening? I am almost sure that I need to fine tune some dimensions... but I don't fully understand how the aspect ratio vs. pixel sizes works :(

In advance, thank you all.
Sergio Kauffman.

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
What does the gauge look like at 1920x1080 resolution when N is at the top, like the other images?

Country
mexico
Hi Tom

That's another thing, I've noticed it as well in the VC. Odd... I will change the rose position a tad up and see what happens.

Thank you my friend.

Country
mexico
I've solved the problem just by setting the gauge size to a half; that is in the 2D panel itself:
HTML:
//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window07]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=1024,1024
window_size_ratio=1.000
position=0
visible=0
ident=MFD
window_size= 1.000, 1.000
window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

gauge00=H225M!MFD,  10,10,225,414

EDIT 1:
Also, I've cleaned up the gauges and/or gauge elements involved by using the wonderful and full of potential "Clip" script; very handy and indeed useful to the roof.

What "Clip" did for me? To clear everything in the way between gauge elements, that could have unforeseen consequences.
Such distortions caused by overlapping images inside a gauge and/or between adjacent gauges; especially hard to spot if they are "transparent". What I mean
by that, are areas or regions in a gauge image painted with pure black RGB 0,0,0. At least is what happens inside FS9.

I have a new mantra: "Black conseals, and other colors reveals". With "Clip" and my new mantra, I will never use masks again.
In a way, that helped me to solve the problem.

As a side note, "Clip" and "Relclip" are related; so for further information go here or do a simple search on the Aircraft Design\Gauge forum.

EDIT 2:
I will quote Tom Aguilo here:

<Clip> is a useful function to limit the display area of a bitmap within an element.
Only the part included within Top/Left/Bottom/Right/Width,Height bounds will be visible.
It's commonly used in rolling numbers and ADI cards.

Thank you all and as always, be cool.
Sergio Kauffman.

Last edited: